• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Griffin Canning

He's fine. He wasn't supposed to pitch last night...I know it was the Orioles but the circumstances were shitty. 

He's really struggled since that first start in Texas - that I believe was supposed to be Skaggs' turn - and I have to wonder if he's put a lot of pressure on himself and gotten into his own head a bit. He seems like a pretty intense, competitive guy, and that Houston start in particular looked like a guy trying to do way, way too much. Overthrowing everything.

Either way, to me this all suggests we really shouldn't bank on guys like Canning, Suarez, Sandoval, and Barria to step right into the rotation and produce. 
Canning's been electric but still has some development ahead of him. 
Suarez' inability to make it out of the 5th shows the same. 
The fact that Barria has been used sparingly hints that the FO isn't entirely sold on his consistency either. 
And Sandoval has been battered a bit in AAA. 

Relying on these guys to be a bulk of our rotation in 2020 is really risky - best we should hope for is that between the four of them, they give us a minimum of 60 total good starts, with Heaney taking another 30, a FA taking another 30 and Ohtani and Pena getting the last 40. Better yet, get Pena to the pen or count on the kids for only about 30 GS, and trade for an arm controlled through '20 to lock down the other 30.

Mike Trout ruined rookie-dom for everyone who will ever follow him as an Angels player.

Griffin Canning has all of 27 starts above AA -- 14 of them in MLB and he plays in the AL West home to four of the top eight offenses in all of MLB..   

The other one is Texas who ranks 6th in MLB in total runs.

29 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

It's a baptism of fire for the kid. Thrown into the hot mess which is the Angels dysfunctional starting rotation. In an ideal world he would be getting much needed seasoning in AAA and waiting until the appropriate time to come up here and shine.

If nothing else this painful experience may build some character.

Yup - this might make for a tough '19, start of '20 for him, but I think sooner rather than later he's going to come out of this really strong. I see a legit #2-#3 SP here and I think he's fully realized and rolling no later than 2021.

Suarez has some great stuff but too raw still, needs to learn how to be more efficient, he'll come around. 

They need to cut the opener shit with Barria.

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

This is probably a bigger deal than most believe it is.

It's funny, whenever people talked about Skaggs they questioned his toughness, yapped about moving on from him and generally viewed him as a disappointment -- the reality was the dude was a source of inspiration for others admired for his toughness and considered by most to be one of those "glue" type players that keeps it all together..

It's hilarious because people tend to watch games, inject their little league experiences into it and think they know whats up and that they somehow are in tune with the players, and the clubhouse    If the Skaggs tragedy taught us anything its that no matter what you think you're seeing, we really don't know shit.   

Griffin Canning has looked utterly devastated at times..   I imagine it's hard enough to try to break into MLB without also having to deal with the loss of someone that obviously made a pretty significant impact on him, regardless of how much time they spent together.

One of the most shattering deaths I experience in my life wasn't from a family member or even a close friend, but an industry guy I worked with occasionally and respected beyond measure. I didn't know him particularly well, but had caught coffee a few times with him to chat music ideas. 

His death came abruptly - cancer - and fucked me up and stayed with me, strongly, for the better part of a year. I'm not as young as Canning, but I can imagine how something similar can really stick with him (or anyone, everyone) on this team when it happens in your youth and that unexpectedly. 

It can change your whole calculus on life.

I’m going to give Canning a huge pass on what happened last night. He wasn’t even supposed to be pitching last night so it threw him off. I also think that the umpires blew the call at the plate so they single handedly extended the game. The other thing that sucks is that we could’ve been one game closer to the A’s. F the umpires and their stupidity.  

Edited by Calzone 2

I'm not concerned about a 23 year old rookie who is struggling especially after the loss of Skaggs which affected everyone on the team.  When I watched him pitch earlier in the season he was confident and trusted his stuff which is always what you want to see out of a young pitcher.  He needs to figure some things out and make adjustments which every young athlete has to do when the league starts to adjust to them.