• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

You may be doing this to be funny but at least it would definitely be the more difficult environment.   

Lets call it 50/50 joke/serious. I think that there is a chance for catastrophic failure - he is blown away, loses confidence, and is set back. But, if we end up falling apart this year, and Adell is still mashing, its not crazy to say "we ain't going anywhere, lets get the kid some real experience."

1 minute ago, floplag said:

And play him where?   Who are you gonna bench?  Were not in desperate need of an OF if we were thats one thing but right now we have 4 getting it done and DH not an option.  Why force a solution when there is no problem? 

You also start his arbitration clock when you call him up....

9 minutes ago, krAbs said:

Lets call it 50/50 joke/serious. I think that there is a chance for catastrophic failure - he is blown away, loses confidence, and is set back. But, if we end up falling apart this year, and Adell is still mashing, its not crazy to say "we ain't going anywhere, lets get the kid some real experience."

I get it..  I didn't mean anything by it other than to say at least that would be a legitimate test for him .vs a hitter happy AAA league.   Not sure there is anything to be gained by moving him up to AAA at this time.  I might see it differently had he made a full circuit of all the AA parks, but it's such a small sample of games the numbers are meaningless.

He's fine here he is.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I’m curious to what position you all see Adell playing if he makes the team next season?

Does he have the arm for right field? How good is his defense overall?

I will miss Calhoun’s defense if his option isn’t picked up next season. Yet, I’m very excited to see Jo Adell as a everyday player in a Angels uniform. 

6 minutes ago, krAbs said:

You would start his clock a year earlier, taking away an additional year of control the Angels would have. Also, you aren't going to bench Calhoun like this. Granted, he will be replaced by Adell, but he's earned more than this way of going out. Let Calhoun forget be dealt to a winner at the trade deadline, or finish out this season as the Angels RF. Let him serve his purpose, which is to be a decent RF until his replacement arrives. He's earned that much. 

3 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I’m curious to what position you all see Adell playing if he makes the team next season?

Does he have the arm for right field? How good is his defense overall?

I will miss Calhoun’s defense if his option isn’t picked up next season. Yet, I’m very excited to see Jo Adell as a everyday player in a Angels uniform. 

Adell figures fo be a very good corner outfielder. He'd be a good CF too but that spot is spoken for with an even better defender than he is. I figure Adell will play RF until Upton moves to 1B/DH arty the end of next year, by which time Brandon Marsh will arrive. Adell will then move to LF with Marsh in RF.

As far as the tools go, Adell has plus range, great athleticism and a better than average arm. Marsh just happens to have an even better arm while keeping equal range and athleticism. 

Even though Adell is in his age 20 season, he's only 4 month older than Trout was in his age 19 season in 2011

Trout went from AA to a sept call up that year.  I totally forgot that Trout went to the AFL after his big league call up in 2011.  He sucked there btw.  

Adell's power is absurd.  The hr he hit last night was oppo to RCF in a park that lefties struggle to pull hrs.  And it was way out.  

Adell could get a cup of coffee in sept but you can bet that he'll start next year in the minors unless the rules change for service time.  

AA or AAA, whatever.  He contribute in the majors right now if they needed him.  But what they have is probably better than what he'd be right this second.  

They could also get him some AB's in the AFL this year if they don't think he's gotten enough due to his injury.  

2 hours ago, red321 said:

It’s been 13 games and a handful of others after returning from a brutal injury. Give the dude some time to get back in baseball shape and then promote him to AAA at the end of the year. 

Partially agreed

I think they want to see how he reacts to his next slump, and then if he responds well, promote him right then and there to AAA.  

46 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Adell figures fo be a very good corner outfielder. He'd be a good CF too but that spot is spoken for with an even better defender than he is. I figure Adell will play RF until Upton moves to 1B/DH arty the end of next year, by which time Brandon Marsh will arrive. Adell will then move to LF with Marsh in RF.

As far as the tools go, Adell has plus range, great athleticism and a better than average arm. Marsh just happens to have an even better arm while keeping equal range and athleticism. 

Re-sign Simba, and you have SIX excellent fielders here when Marsh finally gets here.   Trout, Adell, Marsh, Simba, Fletcher, and Rengifo

Heck, maybe Upton could become a good defensive 1B by 2021? 

Pitchers would love to have all of that defense, and solid enough hitting, behind them. 

2 hours ago, floplag said:

assuming hes in the plan for 20 were past the point where that matters im pretty sure, but yes thats also a factor. 

Everyone makes it seem like after his 6 years are done then he'll walk away. If all goes well then he'll likely get a contract term like Acuna did. We should not be worried about his "clock" starting. 

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

Why promote him to AAA? Just so he can hit a few more altitude aides HR's than he would have if he stayed in AA, where there are better prospects and a more offensively neutral setting.

I can agree with that if he's better off maturing in AA with more competition. All-in-all I think if he produces well then he should deserve a September call up. His Arb clock shouldn't mean anything. Should be a good taste for him so the team can move Calhoun come deadline or offseason and Adell starts 2020. 

If Calhoun is traded then Adell could (possibly) split time with Goodwin so there's less pressure. 

33 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Everyone makes it seem like after his 6 years are done then he'll walk away. If all goes well then he'll likely get a contract term like Acuna did. We should not be worried about his "clock" starting. 

I made no such assumption, but when a persons clock starts if they are expected to be a significant player is always a concern. 

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

I made no such assumption, but when a persons clock starts if they are expected to be a significant player is always a concern. 

Not pointing my finger at you but just saying in general for the thread. It seems like players are as tempted to test free agency as much anymore. A significant player in Acuna signed. I'm sure the Angels with the area of SoCal and oh, Mike Trout would make it an easy decision. 

There are two factors:

1. What is best for the major league team, and

2. What is best for Adell's development.

At this point, I don't think Adell will out-perform Kole Calhoun in the majors, so accelerating his path to the majors isn't necessarily in the team's best interest. And as others have mentioned, it is probably best for his development for him to have more time in AA.

Now if the Angels werre 25-45, I'd say give Adell another 100 PA or so in AA/AAA, and if he does well then call him up to the majors. But the Angels are in the wildcard hunt, Kole is performing pretty well, and Adell could use some more time in AA and/or AAA.

That said, I do think he gets his cup this year, but probably not until September. He's likely to be the starting RFer next year at the tender age of 21.

16 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

There are two factors:

1. What is best for the major league team, and

2. What is best for Adell's development.

At this point, I don't think Adell will out-perform Kole Calhoun in the majors, so accelerating his path to the majors isn't necessarily in the team's best interest. And as others have mentioned, it is probably best for his development for him to have more time in AA.

Now if the Angels werre 25-45, I'd say give Adell another 100 PA or so in AA/AAA, and if he does well then call him up to the majors. But the Angels are in the wildcard hunt, Kole is performing pretty well, and Adell could use some more time in AA and/or AAA.

That said, I do think he gets his cup this year, but probably not until September. He's likely to be the starting RFer next year at the tender age of 21.

Yes agree. If he continues to hit well in the minors then a September call could be good. I like the Idea of him getting a taste at the end of the year so that he is prepared for next year and he's not shell shocked. He seems like the guy to really learn and soak it all up quickly. I think him being on the team to make debut in 2020 could be a stress/pressure load (not saying he can't handle it).

But in terms of easing him in I think a September call up is beneficial to his development. For the same reason he got a lot of looks in Spring Training. If it goes according to that plan then he'll be mentally ready for opening day 2020 returning to the big club.