• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell

I know its only 50 plate appearances, but he has destroyed AA thus far. His trajectory seems to be consistent with what the star players do: play well against much older competition, advance and struggle for a short time, then start lighting up the league after a short adjustment period. 

Also, his strikeouts are down in AA. This is a great sign.

22 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Because AA is actually the more difficult hitting environment?  Because he's had all of 50 at bats in AA -- even Mike Trout had almost 400 AA PAs.   Why do you think AAA will be any more of a challenge?

Interesting question.....competition vs younger, high ceiling guys in AA or a lot of veteran AAAA type guys in Salt Lake?  Which is more helpful? Probably some of both....keep him in AA for at least a month or so, maybe give him a few weeks in SLC if he continues to hit.....

20 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Because AA is actually the more difficult hitting environment?  Because he's had all of 50 at bats in AA -- even Mike Trout had almost 400 AA PAs.   Why do you think AAA will be any more of a challenge?

This thread reminds me of when Trout was in the minors. This board was going apeshit to promote him. I admittedly was part of the problem.

3 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Interesting question.....competition vs younger, high ceiling guys in AA or a lot of veteran AAAA type guys in Salt Lake?  Which is more helpful? Probably some of both....keep him in AA for at least a month or so, maybe give him a few weeks in SLC if he continues to hit.....

The parks are the biggest thing IMO.   Mobile is actually pretty kind to RHBs, but the Southern League as a whole is less hitter happy than the PCL.    More importantly it's become commonplace for teams to keep their best pitching prospects in AA to avoid having them go to the PCL, get beat up and try to fix what isn't wrong.

There is some merit to going to AAA, guys typically have better command so you often get a better idea of where a guy's plate discipline is...  But it's been 50 at bats, most teams still have their best pitching prospects in AA at this time, there is really no reason to move him up other than that extra A and whatever value fans place on the classification.

Adell has played less than 15 games this year in AA where there's plenty of talent.  If they want to move him up to AAA this year by all means but unlike Trout in 2011 there's no push to get him up to the big leagues right now to take someone else's spot, i.e. Vernon Wells who put up a negative WAR in over 500 AB's in 2011.  Wherever Adell is playing he should be getting regular AB's.  Hopefully he continues to rake and makes the decision for the FO in regards to Calhoun's future.

15 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

This thread reminds me of when Trout was in the minors. This board was going apeshit to promote him. I admittedly was part of the problem.

Wait, was this a problem? Mike Trout in 2011, when he "struggled", was still on a 3.1 fWAR pace over 600 PAs. In 2012 had he started with the big club maybe we make the playoffs that year (though it's doubtful).

I'm not advocating for promoting Adell. I don't think he's the type of can't miss prospect that Trout was, but I don't think an extra few months in AA or AAA for Trout are the reason he is the best player in baseball.