• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell

13 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Even though Adell is in his age 20 season, he's only 4 month older than Trout was in his age 19 season in 2011

Trout went from AA to a sept call up that year.  I totally forgot that Trout went to the AFL after his big league call up in 2011.  He sucked there btw.  

Adell's power is absurd.  The hr he hit last night was oppo to RCF in a park that lefties struggle to pull hrs.  And it was way out.  

Adell could get a cup of coffee in sept but you can bet that he'll start next year in the minors unless the rules change for service time.  

AA or AAA, whatever.  He contribute in the majors right now if they needed him.  But what they have is probably better than what he'd be right this second.  

They could also get him some AB's in the AFL this year if they don't think he's gotten enough due to his injury.  

You never know. Eppler may do what the Padres did with Tatis, which definitely creates some good will between the team and the player. 

In fact, I don't picture the Angels manipulating service time like that. 

Mobile has played two games since their all-star break. Adell went 5 for 7 with 2 HR's in the two games. In 14 games at Mobile he's putting up video game statistics in a pitching dominated league. Average Southern League batting average around .240. Slugging Percentage around .360.

BA .408

OBP .491

SLG .735

OPS 1.226

13 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Which part?   If you're asking about AA .vs AAA, that's been answered already.   The PCL is a much friendlier hitting environment. 

But my definition AAA should have the better talent, so why don't they? Simply stating they don't doesn't help?

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

37 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

But my definition AAA should have the better talent, so why don't they? Simply stating they don't doesn't help?

I think it is a number of factors. The overall talent level in AAA is probably higher, but not by a huge margin, and this is ameliorated by the hitting environments. 

Think of AA as the last major stop on the developmental path of a prospect. Once a player 'masters' AA, they're usually ready for the big leagues. Now they might spend time--even years--in AAA, but that's usually either to wait their turn (if they're not an elite prospect) or because they have some things they need to fine-tune. So, AA = last major stage of development, AAA = fine-tuning.

AAA is also a kind of extended bench for the major league teams, so there are a lot of major league caliber players - but a bunch of them are scrubs/replacement players. You'll probably find more top prospects in AA, considering that your average top prospect spends more time in AA than AAA.

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

But simply saying "it should be better" does?   Again, it's largely due to park indexes.

AJ summed it up pretty well, so I won't belabor it much other than double down on what he said... these days AAA is used more-so to add polish or have a player bide his time til a spot opens up than to truly develop.   I wouldn't say that's true of every team, or that it's true every year -- the minors aren't a static thing nor is the talent distribution, but that's where it's been going for a while now.   In the Angels case, the PCL is a significant challenge for our pitchers because of the parks and the elevations, the usage of MLB balls in AAA for the first time is also helpful towards their development.  But for our hitters it can actually create bad habits or mask their weaknesses.   If our AAA club were in the International League, it would be different ... the league tends to play much more neutral.

If you want more detailed info, there are articles at Baseball America and other sites that document the shifting minor league landscape and how more and more teams are holding their best age appropriate prospects at AA .vs AAA.  Like everything else in baseball things are changing and could change back.

Edited by Inside Pitch

55 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think it is a number of factors. The overall talent level in AAA is probably higher, but not by a huge margin, and this is ameliorated by the hitting environments. 

Think of AA as the last major stop on the developmental path of a prospect. Once a player 'masters' AA, they're usually ready for the big leagues. Now they might spend time--even years--in AAA, but that's usually either to wait their turn (if they're not an elite prospect) or because they have some things they need to fine-tune. So, AA = last major stage of development, AAA = fine-tuning.

AAA is also a kind of extended bench for the major league teams, so there are a lot of major league caliber players - but a bunch of them are scrubs/replacement players. You'll probably find more top prospects in AA, considering that your average top prospect spends more time in AA than AAA.

The one big thing AAA will likely always have on AA is more physically mature talent and the things that come with it -- power/command/control.   But those things likely fall under the fine tuning category you spoke of.   For hitters it's said that plate discipline is the last thing to fully develop, so being in AAA where pitchers have better command/control -- they will be better able to improve their plate discipline than in AA where the guy with the live arm and no clue where it's going is getting outs by virtue of pure stuff, but the hitter can lay off stuff.  On the pitching side, there are more guys that can turn on a pitch and make them pay, so again.  Fine tuning .vs true development.

Edited by Inside Pitch

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Absolutely not.

Yeah, I didn't think so either. 

I think if the team slips further in the standings and Kole Calhoun has solid numbers by July 31, in addition to Adell continuing to mash, you gotta look at giving him a couple months in the big leagues like what the Angels did with Trout, Glaus and other former top prospects to give them some major league experience heading into the next season -- which could be a dynamic team and overall roster.