• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will they trade Calhoun?

12 minutes ago, disarcina said:

ouch $14 milllion option for Calhoun - did not realize that -- he's not going anywhere

What are you talking about?  He is having a great year, and that option is a team option.  He has trade value, quite a bit actually.  I wouldn’t be surprised to get a teams top ten prospect along with another in their top 20.  

stradling - nothing against Kole Calhoun - he just grounded out to end the inning,

he is having a good year power numbers wise -- wouldn't quite characterize it as a 'GREAT' year.

Before that ground out just now - his BA this season was at .243 (although, that's about what Harper hit in 2018 and teams swarmed after him - Phils are in first (Atlanta coming on) so I guess its working, But I still consider the Dodgers, Giants and Nationals as the real winners in the off-season Harper sweepstakes. 

true about Kinsler -- but each deal is different,

in the odd way of MLB economics these days - Kinsler, a quality veteran MIF signed to a one year deal with the Halos was likely valuable  because he was purely a rental and had no strings (extended contract obligations) attached.  

I think it really all comes down to teams needing his services and if the are any alternatives on the market to drive the amount price down. 

If the Indians are back in it, there will be a need. The Phillies would likely have a need, though not desperate. If the Mets climb back in it, they would have a need as well. I think that's about it. 

As far the alternatives that will be available on the market, Nick Castellanos, Dwight Smith Jr., maybe Hunter Renfroe. The Padres seem more likely to hold onto Renfroe, Smith wil likely stay with the O's because there's doubt as top his sustainability. So it really comes down to Castellanos and Calhoun, if the Angels are selling. 

Castellanos is clearly the better hitter, except this year he can't seem to figure it out. Plus, he's absolutely awful defensive OF. So if he doesn't by the deadline, that price will plummet. Calhoun meanwhile is having the best season and is a great defender in RF.

I doubt the Mets climb back in it. Great pitching but terrible defense and inconsistent offense. I'm expecting the Indians to be in the thick of it, but judging by their behavior from this past offseason, it seems they aren't able to take on salary and are trying to rebuild their farm. So I don't think they will buy. That leaves the Phillies.

They have Jay Bruce in RF, but dont have a CF unless you move Harper out there. Cutch is lost for the year. I could see them moving sometime like Edgar Garcia for Calhoun. The Angels basically come away with relief depth. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

What are you talking about?  He is having a great year, and that option is a team option.  He has trade value, quite a bit actually.  I wouldn’t be surprised to get a teams top ten prospect along with another in their top 20.  

I would give my right arm for another Buttrey

I think it depends upon how the Angels are doing. If they're somewhere in the area of the second wild card, he stays. If the next four weeks are terrible he's definitely on the trading block.

9 hours ago, disarcina said:

Upton isn't exactly rushing back -- I don't think he's on the Andrelton Simmons rehab time frame,

Huge difference between sprained ankle and turf toe. It is impossible to ice the bone in the toe and the stretched out ligament on the ball of the foot reaches all the way around your ankle and up to your shin. "Turf toe" is a cute way of saying you cannot bend your toe or walk properly let alone run at the level an athlete requires. I've had both of these injuries and my toe still hurts after a year and I cannot squat without it hurting. That's with 3 days of week of physical therapy and 7 days a week of home rehab.

8 hours ago, stormngt said:

I would give my right arm for another Buttrey

I am trying to imagine that phone conversation from Billy Eppler.

"Hey there Brian (Cashman), I've got a unique offer for you..."

13 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I think deals will happen earlier this year.  It seems like all the extensions are robbing free agency of talent so I think teams are going to be more active on the trade front.

We will see.

That may be true for sellers who are out of it now, but the Angels are on the bubble. They aren’t trading anyone unless they determine they have almost no chance to make the wild card this year. 

Theyd have to fall 7-8 games back in the WC by 7/15 or 5-6 games back by 7/31. Both of which are possible.

But for now they’re about to get Upton back and Simmons is making progress. They have a rotation with Skaggs, Heaney and Canning all having the potential to be pretty good. I am pretty sure they’d like to see how all that looks for a month or so before trading anyone. 

The only way they trade Calhoun while still in the race is if Adell gets moved to AAA in the next week or two and then hits .400+ there for a month, essentially forcing his way to the majors. And even then I think they could still just shuffle 4 OFs to see what he can do in the majors before trading someone. 

By the way, @Dtwncbad, the story I’m writing today is for you. 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

14 hours ago, Blarg said:

The July 31st deadline is a month and a half away. Can you guys just chill for a while and watch the games? 

Actually, while true, there is good reason to get ahead of the crowd.  There are a lot of teams with outfield gluts, SD for example... so it isnt like we will be the only people marketing outfielders.  
If hes not in the plan for 20 and beyond, deal him, the when really doesnt matter.