• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will they trade Calhoun?

Until you have a sure fire replacement you don't make a deal.

Kole will probably hit around thirty homers, drive in around eighty and be a solid power threat. He is more selective at the plate and much better against lefties. He continues to be a quality fixture in the field and a mainstay for morale. 

If it's not a total rebuild, you have to make smart deals to integrate new pieces into the existing mix. I'm not sold on any of the organizational potential replacements now. Right field will become downgraded until someone equal or better comes along.

That said, Eppler needs to maximize what assets he can. But not just make a deal for the sake of shaking things up. Because of the contractual situation Calhoun seems likely to be on the block, but it better be a smart deal, because right field will become a position of weakness.

31 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I think teams might be wary of his actual value. His OPS this season is .828, but that's close to 100 points higher than his career OPS.

It’s right in line with most of this year and last though, following his changes. 

It’ll depend on if the Angels are contending.

Yes.... we likely aren’t going to make the Wild Card with some combo of the Yankees, Rays or Red Sox ahead of us....he isn’t signed past this year and he is ahead of our best prospect (Adell).....If Adell isn’t ready, a bridge type next year (maybe Goodwin) shouldn’t be too hard to come up with....On the flip side, if the offers are pedestrian, I’d probably keep him....it would need to be a decent prospect in return....a marginal return isn’t worth doing....

21 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Yes.... we likely aren’t going to make the Wild Card with some combo of the Yankees, Rays or Red Sox ahead of us....he isn’t signed past this year and he is ahead of our best prospect (Adell).....If Adell isn’t ready, a bridge type next year (maybe Goodwin) shouldn’t be too hard to come up with....On the flip side, if the offers are pedestrian, I’d probably keep him....it would need to be a decent prospect in return....a marginal return isn’t worth doing....

Goodwin isn’t a good replacement ... his defense isn’t nearly as good. Right field requires a strong defender imo. 

2 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Goodwin isn’t a good replacement ... his defense isn’t nearly as good. Right field requires a strong defender imo. 

Doesn’t have to be Goodwin...in a perfect scenario, it’s Adell...if not, he can be replaced until Adell is ready....

9 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

After this year we would have to make a choice:

Calhoun or Adell

Trout and Upland already are locked into place.  I find it hard to believe Calhoun will out produce Adell going forward after the season.  Remember Calhoun has been pathetic offensively the last two seasons.

In addition when Upton comes back we have to waive either Puella or Goodwin.  Neither are as good a Calhoun defensively but both ate cheaper and both can play 4th outfield if Adell is ready to go.

38 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The July 31st deadline is a month and a half away. Can you guys just chill for a while and watch the games? 

I think deals will happen earlier this year.  It seems like all the extensions are robbing free agency of talent so I think teams are going to be more active on the trade front.

We will see.

22 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I think deals will happen earlier this year.  It seems like all the extensions are robbing free agency of talent so I think teams are going to be more active on the trade front.

We will see.

Some truth to that ... there will be no waiver line deals this year. 

A lot depends upon where the team is at in a month+. Eppler will and should shop him but I don't think will trade him unless two things happen:

1) The Angels are outside of reasonable wildcard contention, AND

2) Someone makes him an offer he can't refuse (e.g. a top prospect and/or young pitcher)

Not only does trading Calhoun send up a white flag on the season (unless they get a useful pitcher in return) but he is well-liked as a team-mate, as far as I can tell. 

14 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I would think that he’d have value to a team looking to make a decent push.  

The Angels simply have to trade him if they can get anything of moderate value IMO.  Accumulating prospect currency is a huge deal for the Angels right now. 

Phillies certainly might have need.

Of course they should trade him, the real question comes down to when? He still has an option for next year, so they could pick it up and trade him in the offseason. Of course if they aren't trading him around the time Upton returns then they are likely losing one of Goodwin or Puello since neither can be sent down. 

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Of course they should trade him, the real question comes down to when? He still has an option for next year, so they could pick it up and trade him in the offseason. Of course if they aren't trading him around the time Upton returns then they are likely losing one of Goodwin or Puello since neither can be sent down. 

His option is for $14M ... you’re not going to pick it up just to trade him. If you’re going to trade him then you do it before the deadline. 

The team should be playoff bound next season. Calhoun can be a big part of that ... trading him weakens the team imo. I would start the season with Jo Adell as your fourth outfielder if he’s ready. 

I wouldn’t pick up Calhoun’s $14M option but renegotiate for a lesser amount $8-10M. If he doesn’t sign (I think he will) then you throw him his $1M and move on. 

6 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

His option is for $14M ... you’re not going to pick it up just to trade him. If you’re going to trade him then you do it before the deadline. 

The team should be playoff bound next season. Calhoun can be a big part of that ... trading him weakens the team imo. I would start the season with Jo Adell as your fourth outfielder if he’s ready. 

I wouldn’t pick up Calhoun’s $14M option but renegotiate for a lesser amount $8-10M. If he doesn’t sign (I think he will) then you throw him his $1M and move on. 

They aren't going to renegotiate. $14m is a steal if you expect him to play at the level he's at right now. A one year commitment is low risk as well.

I thought they should have traded him last year at deadline time.

what's left on his contract?  Not sure he has much value,

everyone wants starting pitching and/or pen guys (set up/ closers)

I wonder where Bumgarner winds up -- he's going to be dealt.

If I were a contending team (this news just IN - that's excludes US) , Bumgarner would be my top guy to get for a post-season run.

He's not the Bumgarner of three years ago -- but he can still make quality clutch starts, has plenty of post-season big game experience and has shown he can pitch in long relief to help the post-season rotation,

I still consider his WS performance of a few years back one of the best ever (topping Mickey Lolich in '68).