• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will they trade Calhoun?

14 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I think deals will happen earlier this year.  It seems like all the extensions are robbing free agency of talent so I think teams are going to be more active on the trade front.

We will see.

^^^^ We don't know yet (nobody does) what effect eliminating the August 31st waiver trade deadline will have....

14 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

A lot depends upon where the team is at in a month+. Eppler will and should shop him but I don't think will trade him unless two things happen:

1) The Angels are outside of reasonable wildcard contention, AND

2) Someone makes him an offer he can't refuse (e.g. a top prospect and/or young pitcher)

Not only does trading Calhoun send up a white flag on the season (unless they get a useful pitcher in return) but he is well-liked as a team-mate, as far as I can tell. 

I think your right but I also think the pitcher needs to be close to ready to be a major leaguer not 2-3 years away.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Boston could be a fit too. Betts could move to CF. They don’t have much of a farm left.

@Blarg and @Jeff Fletcher said it best though. We’re likely weeks away from the FO having any real idea how to proceed. 

Are we though?  The rule says you cant trade AFTER July 31st, it doesnt say when you can start.  Teams that think they have a shot arent going to wait, weve already seen Phillie jump in and talks are starting. 
IF we are legit planning to make a run this year, we need pitching sooner rather than later, if not, let it roll.  
If Calhoun is not in the plan for 20 and beyond, then do what you need to do while the value is its highest... waiting a month could actually hurt that.  right now we would get value, in 6 weeks who knows.  
I would argue the same on LaStella, if hes not in the 20+ plan then start marketing both of them and maybe just maybe for once sell high on something?

22 minutes ago, floplag said:

Are we though?  The rule says you cant trade AFTER July 31st, it doesnt say when you can start.  Teams that think they have a shot arent going to wait, weve already seen Phillie jump in and talks are starting. 
IF we are legit planning to make a run this year, we need pitching sooner rather than later, if not, let it roll.  
If Calhoun is not in the plan for 20 and beyond, then do what you need to do while the value is its highest... waiting a month could actually hurt that.  right now we would get value, in 6 weeks who knows.  
I would argue the same on LaStella, if hes not in the 20+ plan then start marketing both of them and maybe just maybe for once sell high on something?

Fletcher laid out the case pretty well...they're only a few games back from the WC...they're about to add Upton, Simmons isn't far. Cahill and Harvey are temporarily replaced by a combo of Suarez, Barria, etc., and with Heaney only having just returned. It'd be pretty kneejerk to start selling off pieces now, when they're close and getting reinforcements. 

Now if the Phillies or Red Sox come along and offer something crazy for Calhoun or La Stella or whomever, I'm sure Eppler will listen...but, doubt there's gonna be much chance of anything happening. 

More likely is we see Puello or Goodwin flipped for something small in coming days....losing either for nothing would suck. Goodwin's cooled, but still solid, and Puello is playing over his head, but he's doing so well you have to figure someone would be interested in him for 4th OF depth at least, if the Angels aren't.

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Cesar Puello would be a great replacement for Calhoun if he's traded. 

I'm not sure why he's only playing against lefties as he hit righties better in AAA.

Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 11.24.51 AM.png

If someone bowled us over for Calhoun, I wouldn't flinch dealing him and just trotting out Goodwin and Puello for the rest of the year, or until Hermosillo or Adell forced either out. 

Treat it as an extended audition for 2020 4th OF behind Upton, Trout, and Adell.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Fletcher laid out the case pretty well...they're only a few games back from the WC...they're about to add Upton, Simmons isn't far. Cahill and Harvey are temporarily replaced by a combo of Suarez, Barria, etc., and with Heaney only having just returned. It'd be pretty kneejerk to start selling off pieces now, when they're close and getting reinforcements. 

Now if the Phillies or Red Sox come along and offer something crazy for Calhoun or La Stella or whomever, I'm sure Eppler will listen...but, doubt there's gonna be much chance of anything happening. 

More likely is we see Puello or Goodwin flipped for something small in coming days....losing either for nothing would suck. Goodwin's cooled, but still solid, and Puello is playing over his head, but he's doing so well you have to figure someone would be interested in him for 4th OF depth at least, if the Angels aren't.

Look im not questioning anything Fletcher said or whatever, and im usually one of the first to say you have to make the post to have a chance, BUT... but i dont want to see half measures or token efforts.
Unless they are prepared to go get an ace to put at the top of the rotation, and can manage to do that without losing any of the critical farm parts we need moving forward, it would likely be a negative gain. 
If they can go get Bauer for example without losing Canning , Suarez, obviously Adell ... .fine, lets do it, but its a fine line we need to walk

17 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm not sure why he's only playing against lefties as he hit righties better in AAA.

i think defense ha a lot to do with that as there is little argument that Puello comes close in that sense.  

17 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

That's interesting. I think it's because he's hit lefties so well since his call up that he's earned his playing time up here against them. The team hasn't really needed him against right handed pitchers.

I'm hoping we see Adell sooner than expected and force this question. The guy is absolutely murdering the ball down in AA right now (granted, small sample size). If he keeps this up, they'll have to promote him sooner rather than later.

Is it remotely possible they re-work Kole's contract and keep him for a few more years at a more team friendly price? Term over dollars?

If he can be counted on for 25 homers, quality defense and team leadership, will it be more than Addell can contribute as a regular in his first few years? 

Of course, it does depend on actual contract numbers and longer term plans. But two or three more years may be a decent bridge for Addell to slowly work his way into a more regular role.

I actually think if Kole stays this productive at the plate, and even goes on a tear for a month like he did last year, that his option will be exercised.

Look, Adell is going to be here in 2020. Is he going to be immediately MVP level like Soto, Acuna Jr., or even Trout? We don't know. And it shouldn't be expected.

If Adell is in Right, and Upton in Left, then Kole is basically the 4th OF, and Goodwin is also there. How do you keep them all happy with playing time? Calhoun is a legit Gold Glove defender, and his defense may be wasted at 1st, but he's a good option to take over the Bour role, and be a part time OF.

6 hours ago, totdprods said:

We havent missed Upton because Puello and Goodwin have played over their heads.

Adding Upto. And replacing the current play of Puello is just a marginal move

And we are 3.5 games our of the WC.  It is our starting pitching that's is preventing us from the Playoffs.  Unless we get a 30 year old Nolan Ryan and Frank Tanana we are not winning the WC regardless how much we upgrade our offense.

6 hours ago, floplag said:

Look im not questioning anything Fletcher said or whatever, and im usually one of the first to say you have to make the post to have a chance, BUT... but i dont want to see half measures or token efforts.
Unless they are prepared to go get an ace to put at the top of the rotation, and can manage to do that without losing any of the critical farm parts we need moving forward, it would likely be a negative gain. 
If they can go get Bauer for example without losing Canning , Suarez, obviously Adell ... .fine, lets do it, but its a fine line we need to walk

I would rather have a lock down bullpen than a number 1.  Lock down bullpens impacts just about every game whereas a number 1 only impacts one game every 5 days.

6 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I would rather have a lock down bullpen than a number 1.  Lock down bullpens impacts just about every game whereas a number 1 only impacts one game every 5 days.

i generally agree with you, 99% of the time, but in this one instance IF this team has any designs whatsoever on a post season run we need to stop using openers every other game and get someone we can give the ball to in that playoff game that wont need one.
This team is literally screaming for one like no team ive ever seen.

Just now, floplag said:

i generally agree with you, 99% of the time, but in this one instance IF this team has any designs whatsoever on a post season run we need to stop using openers every other game and get someone we can give the ball to in that playoff game that wont need one.

I agree.....an opener is masking a shitty pitcher.  I think the Angels are serious division and world series contenders with a number 2 and a bunch of number 3's or a staff of number 3's with a lock down bullpen.  Canning, Suarez, Ohtani, Heaney and a couple of number 3's would do it.  Every trade involving a number 1 seems to cost a king's ransom.  The Angels need starting pitching that is consistent and not bipolar.  I would jettison Skaggs for some pitching prospects at the deadline when J.C. Rameriz and Middleton begin pitching.

3 hours ago, floplag said:

The Angels are 8-5 when they use an opener. 

Theyd be pretty good if they won 8 of every 13 games.