• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

David Fletcher

Fletcher is rolling with a 823 OPS and 121 OPS+. Simply he is playing way over his head for a slappy middle infielder that hits so very few home runs. It probably isn't sustainable simply because he lives off of contact which requires maintaining both swing consistency and adaptation to pitchers exploiting weaknesses.

He's not Rod Carew but thankfully he isn't a three outcome hitter that has one skill. He is the guy you need in the lineup, reliable, consistent, not prone to wild highs and lows. Fletcher will never take home a top 50 position player salary. That makes him incredibly valuable, a guy that knows first base is the goal, anything else is gravy. He is our chess piece equivilant of a horse, versitlity that has to be properly utilized. 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

So Dipoto selected Fletcher in the 6th round of the 2015 draft?

Solid pick.

The 2015 draft was easily his best which is amazing considering two of the top five picks are already out of baseball and I think maybe only 10 or 11 guys are still even with the organization.   

Fletcher, Taylor Ward, Jam Jones, and Jared Walsh (39th round) were all part of that draft.

What is so fun about Fletcher, aside from the grit, is he just keeps surprising us. Two years ago he was a fringe prospect - an Andrew Romine type. Last year he started hitting, but we all knew it was inflated by Salt Lake. Then he got called up and was very impressive defensively and as long as he could continue holding his own with the bat, would be useful UT player - at least a Brock Holt type. This year his hitting has improved and he's even more versatile, playing a bit of outfield. 

He may not continue hitting .318/124 wRC+, but I think at least .290/.100+ is sustainable, maybe better. A player who can hit .290, produce as an average major league hitter (or slightly better), play excellent infield defense and outfield as necessary...a very useful player and every manager's dream.

Yesterday in the 4th after Fletcher led off with a single, I noticed the Ballboy ran to first up the base path just out side the chalk to make the equipment change with Fletcher.  So I was curious what path he would take back to the dugout.  I watched him run back on the grass in foul territory and behind the plate. As he goes behind the plate he calls to Mike Trout and I could clearly see Mike turn and say something back.  That made me wonder if Fletcher was passing along some information. 

1 hour ago, Slegnaac said:

9th is the new lead-off.

It has been called the 2nd leadoff spot for quite a few years now.    Hence why some NL managers have tried hitting the pitcher 8th.

Really, there aren't many weaknesses in this lineup right now.  

Even Pujols is hitting better than he has in 3 years.  His next HR = 200 with the Halos, and is currently just 16 behind Mays for 5th spot all time.   Could well pass Mays, and then maybe retire after 2019 (and paid out $59 million over the 10 years of his personal services contract) after a decent enough season and hopefully still maintaining at least a career .300 BA?  

1 minute ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Does anybody else like the potential idea of 1-4 looking like this (assuming Ohtani gets better)

Fletcher

LaStella

Trout

Ohtani

I don't think Trout should be cemented into the #2 spot honestly. I think it's stubborn to just leave a guy in one spot in the lineup and not budge. 

Ideally, I'd like to see this lineup once Upton returns soon. 

3B La Stella

SS Fletcher

CF Trout

DH Ohtani

LF Upton

RF Calhoun

1B Pujols

C Lucroy

2B Rengifo

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

I don't think Trout should be cemented into the #2 spot honestly. I think it's stubborn to just leave a guy in one spot in the lineup and not budge. 

3B La Stella

SS Fletcher

CF Trout

DH Ohtani

LF Upton

RF Calhoun

1B Pujols

C Lucroy

2B Rengifo

Pujols hitting 7th? 

You know that's blasphemy right?

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

3B La Stella

SS Fletcher

CF Trout

DH Ohtani

LF Upton

RF Calhoun

1B Pujols

C Lucroy

2B Rengifo

Agreed. I'd like to see two solid hitters in front (LaStella, Fletcher) in front of him. Fletcher hitting 1 or 2 doesn't bother me. 

Would like to see Ward or Thaiss challenge the 1B slot once they are ready towards the end of season.

13 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Agreed. I'd like to see two solid hitters in front (LaStella, Fletcher) in front of him. Fletcher hitting 1 or 2 doesn't bother me. 

Would like to see Ward or Thaiss challenge the 1B slot once they are ready towards the end of season.

LaStella and Fletcher are perfect upper lineup hitters, since they seldom strike out.