• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

David Fletcher

On 5/29/2019 at 10:33 AM, Blarg said:

Simply he is playing way over his head for a slappy middle infielder that hits so very few home runs. It probably isn't sustainable simply because he lives off of contact which requires maintaining both swing consistency and adaptation to pitchers exploiting weaknesses.

I've been betting against him since before he was originally called up, I'm not going to do that anymore. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/the-angel-who-cant-miss.html

The Angels are off to a 29-31 start two-plus months into the season, but the Halos’ unimposing 60-game record isn’t the fault of their offense. The team’s Mike Trout-led attack ranks sixth in the majors in wRC+ (108) and 12th in runs (301), in part because it seldom strikes out. No team is running a lower K percentage (16.3) or a higher contact rate (82.9) than the Angels, though their ringleader isn’t Trout in either regard. Sure, Trout’s well above average in both categories (what else is new?), but it’s teammate David Fletcher who reigns as the Angels’ low-strikeout, high-contact king.

USATSI_12684021-200x300.jpg

The 25-year-old Fletcher earned his first league promotion just under a year ago (on June 12, 2018), though he certainly wasn’t seen as a can’t-miss prospect at the time. But the infielder/outfielder hasn’t missed, literally or figuratively, in his first 12 months in the majors. In fact, Fletcher has already racked up 4.0 fWAR in 530 major league plate appearances. Since Fletcher’s first game last June 13, only three second basemen (Javier Baez, Whit Merrifield and Ketel Marte) have outdone him in the fWAR department. While a large portion of Fletcher’s 2018 value came from his defense, which has remained a strength this season, he’s now making the majority of his hay with his right-handed swing...

click link for rest.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/the-angel-who-cant-miss.html

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, totdprods said:

He’s always going to have his fate tied to BAbip until he puts up an above-average BB% rate. I’ve said before, he could wind up hitting .330 as easily as .270, until the BB% changes.

His OBP. 

379 last 7 games

365 last 30

2 hours ago, stormngt said:

His OBP. 

379 last 7 games

365 last 30

And? That has no bearing on what I said. I didn't criticize his OBP skills. Fletcher simply does not have the power or the above-average BB% (yet) to be a hitter that doesn't have his fate hinge on BAbip. 

Last year, he walked at a 4.9% rate, this year, he's increased that greatly, to 8.9%, which is basically the MLB average (8.5%), which bodes very well for his long-term growth. 

But, until the day comes where he gets a 11-13% BB%, which might happen, but also might not, he's going to have a lot of his offensive fate ride on his BAbip, which can go either way. 

50 minutes ago, totdprods said:

And? That has no bearing on what I said. I didn't criticize his OBP skills. Fletcher simply does not have the power or the above-average BB% (yet) to be a hitter that doesn't have his fate hinge on BAbip. 

Last year, he walked at a 4.9% rate, this year, he's increased that greatly, to 8.9%, which is basically the MLB average (8.5%), which bodes very well for his long-term growth. 

But, until the day comes where he gets a 11-13% BB%, which might happen, but also might not, he's going to have a lot of his offensive fate ride on his BAbip, which can go either way. 

So on base percentage isn't above average?

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

17 hours ago, stormngt said:

WTF. ?

OBP= (hits+walks)/abs

Fletcher

Last 5 games

217 BA. 379 OBP. Where did he get the extra. 162 over his batting average?

Last 30 games

270 BA. 349 OBP where did he get the extra .079 over his BA?

A five game sample size? Really? Give the MVP to Puello! The 30-game sample is a little easier to accept - but as you mentioned, OBP is BB plus hitsand Fletcher has always had a well-above average batting average. 

Fact of the matter is that last season, Fletcher had a well below-average BB%. This year, it's MLB average. On his career? Below-average. His minor league career never topped 8.9% BB%, which again, is MLB average. 

So again to my point, until David Fletcher walks at an above-average rate, his offensive value is going to be tied to his batting average which is above league average (around .241), and batting average will always have some fluctuation based on his BAbip. Because he doesn't walk at an above-average clip, they're going to have to hope all the balls he puts in play continue to drop at a .300 rate. He's still fairly new to the league, and if opponents start to get enough to find a shift against him, his .285-.300+ BA could slip to .265-.275 as a result.

I'm also not discounting the possibility that Fletcher finds a little more doubles-power in the next few years, which could help offset the possibility of him not drawing more walks.

• 1 month later...

Fletch has been in a slump.  At least I hope it's a slump but he's been swinging at more than usual.  3 for his last 30 and not having his typical good at bats.  

He's a very useful player and probably deserves to start.  Or does he ultimately find his way into a super util role?