• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If you don't think that starting pitching is the problem.....

37 minutes ago, Cooper12 said:

Hi all!  I am new here, my first post, I love the Halos and try stay positive...but one thing nobody seems to talk about, is Doug White...everyone thought he would turn Eppler's garbage into aces...

Howdy. I don't think anybody thought he would turn anyone into an ace. That's hyperbolic. Many here did think he might be able to tap into something and that he would influence them to change their pitch sequences and try to work more up in the zone and maybe reduce the use on some less effective pitches. Maybe it takes a month of getting your ass handed to you to decide to listen. Maybe longer. Maybe it's all bullshit. Stay tuned for the next episode of.....Just Stop Sucking

46 minutes ago, Cooper12 said:

Hi all!  I am new here, my first post, I love the Halos and try stay positive...but one thing nobody seems to talk about, is Doug White...everyone thought he would turn Eppler's garbage into aces...

Welcome!

Doug White has definitely been talked up quite a bit here.

Hoping some good results show up soon ..

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Maybe you weren't aware but Lou went down your path far more than 2.5 months, more like years. And before you start up on me I just got back from Montana after dealing with both parents hospitalized while my sister was air lifted to Spokane for brain trauma.

What I'm saying is we rarely know what each other has on their plate and sometimes the kidding doesn't quite translate. 

Sorry about your mom and seriously hope her condition changes for the better. 

Very very well said man. I love this community but we don't know what each person goes through in their personal life because it's obviously their personal lives and unlikely to be frequently shared online in a message board about the Angels. I am obviously an Oregon fan and a fan of many other sports teams and part of their respective fan forums but this is the best one by far. I don't post a whole lot because of my own life's daily routine, stress, and responsibilities but have been on Angelswin from the close to beginning and I love how close this community is, even though it's online.

AO, I wish your family the best as I do yours Blarg, Lou, and the rest of the Angelswin community. Life can be a very stressful thing full of heartbreak but it's also an incredibly enjoyable thing full of love which is why, at least from what I have discerned in my 30 years of life, it hurts so much to see the people we love in difficult situations. I wish everyone on here the best and it's post like yours that remind me of how strong of a community this is.

• 2 weeks later...

5.77 era but that is with the openers 

if you subtract the 4 openers  which was cam x2, robles x1, and bard x1 for 0.00 era in 4.0ip

and add back 

Barria 5ip, 1er
Pena 5ip, 1er
Barria 1.2ip, 7er
Pena 4.1ip, 3er

total 16ip, 12er

era of 5.98

So for the sake of semantics I guess you could say that our rotation (and not the starters) have an era of 6.  

I'm not sure but I think that's pretty bad.  

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

5.77 era but that is with the openers 

if you subtract the 4 openers  which was cam x2, robles x1, and bard x1 for 0.00 era in 4.0ip

and add back 

Barria 5ip, 1er
Pena 5ip, 1er
Barria 1.2ip, 7er
Pena 4.1ip, 3er

total 16ip, 12er

era of 5.98

So for the sake of semantics I guess you could say that our rotation (and not the starters) have an era of 6.  

I'm not sure but I think that's pretty bad.  

No where to go but up.

I mean in terms of improvement, not like the era number...

I'm not sure how anyone can still support Eppler after the pathetic rotation he has put together all these years after his tenure.  He hasn't added a single impact starting pitcher in 4 years, despite it being the main issue with the roster since he took over.  Horrible performance as a GM.  No excuses for this to be the rotation we have out there with the budget capability we have, and with Trout in the middle of his prime.  If he doesn't want to do what's necessary to give us a somewhat decent rotation, he needs to be replaced with someone who will.

2 hours ago, mymerlincat said:

I'm not sure how anyone can still support Eppler after the pathetic rotation he has put together all these years after his tenure.  He hasn't added a single impact starting pitcher in 4 years, despite it being the main issue with the roster since he took over.  Horrible performance as a GM.  No excuses for this to be the rotation we have out there with the budget capability we have, and with Trout in the middle of his prime.  If he doesn't want to do what's necessary to give us a somewhat decent rotation, he needs to be replaced with someone who will.

Ohtani says hello.  

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ohtani says hello.  

I’m as big of an Ohtani fan as anyone, but as should wait a bit before calling him an “impact starting pitcher”. All the tools are there and I’m almost certain he gets there, but let’s wait and see how he does when his arm is healed, and after a full season of starting.

1 minute ago, mymerlincat said:

I’m as big of an Ohtani fan as anyone, but as should wait a bit before calling him an “impact starting pitcher”. All the tools are there and I’m almost certain he gets there, but let’s wait and see how he does when his arm is healed, and after a full season of starting.

Ok, but he was the most sought after arm and player last off season and Eppler brought him in.  There isn’t a team out there that didn’t think he was an impact arm.  

we're two pitchers away from having a very good rotation.  One of those is Ohtani coming back next year.  The other will be a free agent.  Maybe even add a third with a solid trade.  

that would make Skaggs and Heaney either 3,4 or 4,5 next year.  

Entering next year with Canning in the 5 spot and depth of Suarez, Pena, Ramirez, and Barria.  Plus a whole slew of others in the minors that are actually capable.  

the rotation can get better in a hurry.  the nit is that the hurry will come from the end of 2019 to the beginning of 2020 and the rest of this year will be kinda painful.  

13 hours ago, mymerlincat said:

Ok, which of these pitchers would you have signed?

Eovaldi - 6.00 era  4/$68M  (elbow surgery)

Happ -  4.93 era  2/$34M

Lynn - 5.75 era  3/$30M  (fat)

A Sanchez - 5.13 era  2/$19M

Fiers - 6.81 era  2/$14.1M 

Richards - (out for season)  2/$15.5M 

58 minutes ago, Lou said:

Ok, which of these pitchers would you have signed?

Eovaldi - 6.00 era  4/$68M  (elbow surgery)

Happ -  4.93 era  2/$34M

Lynn - 5.75 era  3/$30M  (fat)

A Sanchez - 5.13 era  2/$19M

Fiers - 6.81 era  2/$14.1M 

Richards - (out for season)  2/$15.5M 

All of them. 

Siincerely,

Jerry Dipoto

13 hours ago, Stradling said:

Ohtani says hello.  

I think maybe you give him a tad too much credit here.
Yes he put in the work, no question, but i also think he was the beneficiary of what the man wanted as much as that affected it.
He was always going to an AL team, that was obvious.  And he didnt want to go where there were other established Japanese stars from the reports so... if you put it all together we were the logical choice.
Im not dissing dont get me wrong but taking into account everything he wanted, we made the most sense.

You know, im generally a hit first guy, thats well known, but right now there is little question that continuously giving up freaking gopher balls isnt a sound starting pitching strategy.  

Edit:  I was curious so i looked it up, we are tied for third worst with Stl having given up 64 HR, only Sea and Bal are worse with 71 and 84 respectively.  The league average is 52.

The rotation will never improve as long as the moron we have at GM is still around.  He's made it abundantly clear he doesn't care one bit about improving the rotation, or at the very least, putting together something MLB caliber.  If we extend this dipshit in the offseason I'll have lost all faith in the organization.

1 hour ago, mymerlincat said:

The rotation will never improve as long as the moron we have at GM pitching coach is still around.  He's made it abundantly clear he doesn't care one bit about improving the rotation, or at the very least, putting together something MLB caliber.  If we extend this dipshit in the offseason I'll have lost all faith in the organization.

FIFY

None of the acquired starters has looked as bad as they have looked this season.   Doug White, where are U?????

1 hour ago, mymerlincat said:

The rotation will never improve as long as the moron we have at GM is still around.  He's made it abundantly clear he doesn't care one bit about improving the rotation, or at the very least, putting together something MLB caliber.  If we extend this dipshit in the offseason I'll have lost all faith in the organization.

That GM in Seattle i like. His rotation's ERA is better than ours. He's got Marco Gonzalez, Kikuchi and Leake who are all better than any starters on our team. His team also started the year on fire. We started slow... I'm in the boat that once Eppler's contract is up we throw all the money at that Dipoto guy.

It isnt the GM or the coach, its just a bunch of hired mercenaries to get thru the year that just arent any good any more.  Most of them probably wont be here by the second half as guys like Suarez and Sandoval near ML readiness and other guys get healthy.
This year was never going to be anything standings wise barring a whole lot of luck, but i think as the season ages this team is going to get much better.