• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Mariners seem pretty good

38 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I liked the Domingo Santana, Mallex Smith, Omar Narvaez and Kikuchi moves for them this year.  

The one thing I thought Dipoto did well was to turn around known players for younger, lesser known talent with more control.  

If they keep winning, he's gonna have a real hard time resisting the temptation to trade some prospects for SP and RP help.  If by (somewhat) unfortunate circumstances we are in a position to sell and them to buy, I would love to pilfer Julio Rodriguez from them somehow.  He's gonna be good.  

There is what I would assume a near zero chance the Mariners ever trade Julio Rodriguez. With the amount he was pushed by the front office onto the fans in Spring Training, it was obvious to see he is part of the future plans.

How he isn't a Top 100 prospect, I don't know. I guess because he hasn't played stateside (until this year) and is young.

They are now 1-5 in their last six games.  Scouts will figure how to get Vogelbach out.  Their SPs are as bad as ours and the BP sucks because they lost their closer for 2 -3 months.  Their defense is horrible. Just like last year, they'll sink back to the .500 mark.  The Astros will rule the AL West as they have.   

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2019 at 7:36 AM, mulwin444 said:

Bruce - .186 .280 OBP .908 OPS (!)

Beckham - .400 (!) .489 OBP (!) 1.314 OPS (!)

Healy .271 .321 OBP .925 OPS (!)

Santana - .340 (!) .431 OBP 1.071 OPS (!)

Encarnacion - .324 (!) .465 OBP (!) 1.142 OPS (!)

Vogelbach - .471 (!) .625 OBP (!!) 1.471 OPS (!!!)

Whoa!  Some top-heavy numbers to be sure.  Bruce has 5 BB and 16 K's so that OPS should drop.  Beckham is lifetime .748 OPS...with time spent in Camden Yards, so OPS will drop.  Healy's average and OBP are pretty on par with only the OPS a little high.  Santana has proven to be able to provide a high-.800 OPS at times so, even it seems a little high right now, he's also only 26 so who knows?  He could be capable of higher so, while .340 and .431 OBP don't appear to be sustainable an OPS in .900's isn't out of his reach.  Encarnacion has seen his numbers trending downward the last couple of seasons but is capable as well of putting up .800-.850.  And then there is Vogelbach...um, no.  He's put up impressive numbers in AAA so, let's be generous and say he's somewhere between a AAAA player and .850 OPS.

Conversely, Haniger is underperforming and Mallex Smith is producing about as expected.  

The offense, long term, could be decent to above average if everyone is healthy and performing at what they are capable of.  Having a 1-4 of Smith-Haniger-Santana-Encarnacion is actually potentially potent top half of the line-up.

As for the pitching, Kikuchi is an unknown but Gonzales, Leake and LeBlanc are 100 ERA+ starting pitchers capable of giving a decent, if unspectacular, 160-180 IP while Felix is toast.  Justus Sheffield appears to be the only thing of excitement waiting in the wings and he'll likely be seen at some point this season.

The BP is some guys...who throw the ball...after the starters leave.

TL;DR - Lots of hitters playing over their heads, rotation is 'eh, BP is meh...not seeing a lot of sustainability apart from some guys on offense.

Just to revisit since their blown save to the Yankees last night pushed them to 19-19 after a 13-2 start.

Bruce - .196 .266 OBP .811 OPS

Beckham - .271 .331 OBP .842 OPS

Healy - .236 .301 OBP .757 OPS

Santana - .270 .339 OBP .799 OPS

Encarnacion - .246 .380 OBP .905 OPS

Vogelbach - .275 .422 OBP 1.060 OPS

Looking again at the pitching, Marco Gonzales has been pitching well, Kikuchi has been league average, and the rest have been not good but some guys in the BP have stepped up and pitched well so, you know, slightly less "meh".  6-17 in their past 23 is likely to correct just like 13-2 was likely to correct...they look like a 75-80 win team if everyone is relatively healthy and no additional talent of significance is added.  

47 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Just to revisit since their blown save to the Yankees last night pushed them to 19-19 after a 13-2 start.

The division has always been about the Astros....everybody else is a pretender....

Since April 12th, when the Mariners were 13-2. 

• Since, they've gone 7-19, scoring 106 runs and allowing 149 runs, with 21 errors.
  • Omar Narvaez has been their best hitter  since then, slashing .288/.419/.475/.893
  • Their bullpen ERA is 5.83, and have also allowed 20 HR in 88 IP.
  • Their rotation has an ERA of 4.42.
  • Their top 9 hitters have slashed .223/.313/.422/.735 in that time -
    • the MLB average this year is .244/.319/.417/.736
  • On the year, they have an MLB-leading 43 errors, .972 fielding percentage.

7 minutes ago, zenmaster said:

King Felix gave up 7 ER in 2 IP today. I think he’s gonna hang it up after this year. 

I don't know what's more painful to watch. Felix pitching as a shell of his former self, or Albert hitting as a shell of his former self. At least Mariners fans got 7 years of great pitching from the King. Angels fans got 4 months of great hitting from El Hombre.