• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Mike Trout sidesteps questions about his future as he opens spring training with the Angels

AngelsWin.com

1 minute ago, fan_since79 said:

Trout is a diplomatic man. I don't believe we'll ever hear him say, "Losing sucks, I'm outta here!" or anything remotely similar in tone.

But it has to be galling to see the glacial progress of this team towards postseason success and know that you can't do much more about it.

If we finish in third or fourth place again, you have to wonder how much patience he'll have left.

And common sense says he’s well aware of the direction of the team and he’s on board. 

"I'm here to get ready for the season. I don't want to comment on the contract negotiations and stuff. I'm here to just get ready to prepare myself for the upcoming season.''

that was a quote from feb of 2014 when he arrived to spring training about a month before he signed his current contract.  

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

All players want to win, and the two most expensive guys are still unsigned. 

No they don't. Grienke flat out stated the team that pays him the most is the team he will sign with. Arod wasn't winning in Texas when he signed that huge deal. If a lot of players only cared about winning, they would be taking pay cuts left and right.

Boras gets the most money he can for his clients. That's why they hire them. Money is more important than winning to them.

NBA players will take pay cuts to form super teams or to try and get a ring. It's very rare that a baseball player turns down a lot of money because he wants to win instead.

You stated all players so that includes Harper and Machado. Why aren't they signing for less money to play for a winning team? Why are they holding out for the most money possible? Why not just sign with Boston, Houston or the Yankees or Dodgers for less to win more?

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

"I'm here to get ready for the season. I don't want to comment on the contract negotiations and stuff. I'm here to just get ready to prepare myself for the upcoming season.''

that was a quote from feb of 2014 when he arrived to spring training about a month before he signed his current contract.  

That is a far better comment than what he produced today. No talk of Philly or about how losing sucks.

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

That is a far better comment than what he produced today. No talk of Philly or about how losing sucks.

also from the same article:

"I always try to do the right thing on and off the field,'' Trout said. "Stay out of trouble. Jeter was my role model growing up, and seeing what he's done over last 20-25 years is remarkable. It's just the way he carries himself on and off the field. He wins championships. You can have the best stats in the world, but if you're not winning, it doesn't mean nothing.''

9 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

No they don't. Grienke flat out stated the team that pays him the most is the team he will sign with. Arod wasn't winning in Texas when he signed that huge deal. If a lot of players only cared about winning, they would be taking pay cuts left and right.

Boras gets the most money he can for his clients. That's why they hire them. Money is more important than winning to them.

NBA players will take pay cuts to form super teams or to try and get a ring. It's very rare that a baseball player turns down a lot of money because he wants to win instead.

You stated all players so that includes Harper and Machado. Why aren't they signing for less money to play for a winning team? Why are they holding out for the most money possible? Why not just sign with Boston or Houston or the Yankees?

All players want to win.  

21 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Trout is a diplomatic man. I don't believe we'll ever hear him say, "Losing sucks, I'm outta here!" or anything remotely similar in tone.

But it has to be galling to see the glacial progress of this team towards postseason success and know that you can't do much more about it.

If we finish in third or fourth place again, you have to wonder how much patience he'll have left.

He'd also be an idiot to say, "I love being on the Angels, and I will stay here no matter what it takes," because then he'd lose his bargaining power.

13 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

If he had made that same comment today, the usual suspects would be pouncing on it as evidence that Trout is already booking his one-way ticket to the East Coast.

also, let's take his comments with a little bit of understanding as it relates to leverage.  

the FA market is a mess right now.  As a player, any player, it's best to maintain the thought that there's a chance he might not stay.  

Do we want to hear him say that he wants to be an Angel forever?  of course.  

Does his agent want him to make non-committal statements?  of course.  

Never once has he been anything but vague to the media about his contract status.  

Here's the other piece to that.  If he says he wants to be a halo forever and then the Angels low ball him and he ends up elsewhere, then it still looks bad on him to some degree.  

Keep it simple.  

1 hour ago, NJHalo said:

Hopefully he's getting annoyed by all the local Philly fans constantly bothering him about it, and clogging up his social media pages, and he will prefer the more relaxed atmosphere he has in Anaheim. 

You know, there is something to be said for preferring the devil you know. I don't know of any true fans of the Angels who have anything negative to say about Trout. And if Philly fan keeps blowing up his social media, it may annoy him. Plus, we know how Philly fan can turn on a dime...

I am optimistic. He said he likes the direction the team is going and he likes what Eppler is trying to do. 

32 minutes ago, Taylor said:

If he had made that same comment today, the usual suspects would be pouncing on it as evidence that Trout is already booking his one-way ticket to the East Coast.

I was very happy with those comments when they were made, and I'd feel the same way now. Jeter is a legend in part because he staid with one team and won.

Trout’s in for another long year given the moves this team made this offseason. 

I have to think Trout will remember all these years the Angels wasted by surrounding him with trash when it comes to contract negotiations regardless of how bright the future might look. 

And honestly minus Adell, our farm system ain’t shit

50 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

I want him to stay, contrary to what some here think, but if he does go, we'd better get a substantial haul in a trade rather than lose him to free agency.

Here's the part you're not going to be happy about.  

It's extremely unlikely that we ever trade Trout.  

He's never going to come out and say to the media that he intends to leave.  For the same reason he's never going to say that he wants to stay.  At most he'll likely inform them he's not interested in a discussion about an extension at this time, but he wouldn't rule out returning to the halos.  

Teams are treating this like a business and so should Mike Trout which means he absolutely has the right to keep the halos involved as a potential suitor.  Why decrease his bargaining power?  He doesn't owe the Angels any more than they owe him.  He's been paid and the halos have profited from having him big time.  

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

All players want to win, and the two most expensive guys are still unsigned. 

Why are you being so defensive about Trout ... this is a discussion thread littered with different opinions. 

I hope Trout stays with the Angels his whole career. If he chooses to play elsewhere ... I will still be one of his biggest fans and hope he gets to the WS a few times. 

You could probably flip a coin on wether he stays or leaves. 

2 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Why are you being so defensive about Trout ... this is a discussion thread littered with different opinions. 

I hope Trout stays with the Angels his whole career. If he chooses too play elsewhere ... I will still be one of his biggest fans and hope he gets to the WS a few times. 

You could probably flip a coin on wether he stays or leaves. 

Ok. Thanks.  

11 minutes ago, nando714 said:

When is the best time to trade trout if he doesn’t wanna resign 

next offseason 

or mid 2020 season ? 

Angels need to get something for him if he doesn’t want to be here long term

Nationals chose not to trade Harper  ... I don’t believe the Angels will even consider trading Trout until the 2020 trade deadline.

4 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

He didn't say he wanted to stay here definitively which is concerning.

From the article

Trout says....
I like it here
I like the direction the team is going
I like the guys Billy has brought in and he's made the team better
I think the biggest problem has been the injuries
I think we can win if we stay healthy.

Oh yeah, I get harassed daily about Philly.

But he didn't say OMG I WANNA SIGN NAAAAAAOOO...

So, concerning...