• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Sign Matt Harvey

Stradling

I'm not a fan of the move, mainly because if it seems to Trout like we're going to keep doing the "hey, maybe this injury prone ex-ace pitcher can pitch 180 innings at a high level again" shtick, he's probably less likely to re-sign. 

That said, have seen a few quote the 14 mil with incentives as absurd because Harvey totally sucks now. If he does, it's going to be the 11M, not the 14M. We should actually hope they pay him 14M this year. 

Honestly, Doc put it best. 

11 mill aint sh*t, fool. Its no biggie, because its only a one year deal. Less than that, say a one year 8 mill (which i assume everyone would be ok with) is basically going to get you sh*tty matt harvey at best. And like Doc said, thats not going to help us. 

This way, were throwing a few million more out (which we can cover with the Bour jersey sales) to gamble on him being a positive, which is actually very possible.

If it doesnt work out, its really not the end of the world. Hes not here to guide a finished team into the world series.

Lastly. We were in on corbin and eovaldi. I doubt this is epplers finishing touch on the team. Obviously most of the best choices are gone. But were not done making moves yet.

I get all the arguments in favor of getting him -- he's potentially a high reward guy, but IMO, he's also a high risk guy and not sure the Angels are really a position to do that..  If we had five guys who could be counted on to deliver 160+ innings I'd like it more.   The one year deal and everything else they have said makes me believe they have are hoping he has a huge season so they can cash in on him -- either by riding him for as long as they can or to cash him in for prospect.  Not the move I'd have wanted but one that fits their processes.

Edited by Inside Pitch

18 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I get all the arguments in favor of getting him -- he's potentially a high reward guy, but IMO, he's also a high risk guy and not sure the Angels are really a position to do that..  If we had five guys who could be counted on to deliver 160+ innings I'd like it more.   The one year deal and everything else they have said makes me believe they have are hoping he has a huge season and so they can cash in on him -- either by riding him for as long as they can or to cash him in for prospect.  Not the move I'd have wanted but one that fits their processes.

The bour signing fits this as well. I think he’s trying to either cash in on high upside guys for prospects or ride hot streaks with 1 year players should they be in contention. If they flop, just walk away 

Shades of Kazmir.

But seriously, I like it. As others have said, the one year makes it relatively low risk, even if it is a bit more than you'd expect from a guy who has pitched like he has the last few years. Worse-case scenario (other than injury) is that he's an overpaid #4-5. Best-case and he's the best pitcher on the team. What I like about it, though, is we have no clue - it makes the season a lot more interesting. 

Now add Kikuchi and I'm pickled tink.

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

Shades of Kazmir.

But seriously, I like it. As others have said, the one year makes it relatively low risk, even if it is a bit more than you'd expect from a guy who has pitched like he has the last few years. Worse-case scenario (other than injury) is that he's an overpaid #4-5. Best-case and he's the best pitcher on the team. What I like about it, though, is we have no clue - it makes the season a lot more interesting. 

If they added Kikuchi or traded for a top of the rotation starter without killing the minor league system and still added a catcher I would be very happy with the offseason. The cherry on top would be a relieve like Herrera 

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Shades of Kazmir.

When I first read this, I thought it said pickled twink. haha

1 hour ago, aznhockeyguy said:

I'm not a fan of this deal as it's about 5 million too high, but I guess if Garrett Richards can get 2/10 from the Padres for basically sitting out a year I guess it's okay?  Anyways, not only do I not like it from a financial standpoint, but from a performance standpoint as well.  4.33 FIP at Cincinnati with a 93+ ERA doesn't give me much confidence.  Hopefully he rebounds to his earlier form, but I'm not expecting too much from Harvey.   With the Angels' recent history with starting pitchers, this will probably mean he gets 3 starts before he blows his arm again or that beloved "forearm tightness." 

Richards got 2/15 with incentives to take it to 2/18.  Only one year of which he's likely to be available.  likely.  So it's 1/15 and maybe 0.5/15.  

a couple of projections for him were 1/9, 2/18, and 2/22.    

so we've spend 2.5m on Bour, 1.2m on La Stella (projected), and 11m on Harvey.  

we had about 30m to spend prior to letting shoe and parker go which saved another 8m.  

so about another 23m to spend this year.  

Kikuchi would be 6-7m in year 1 probably.  

So that's still a decent chunk to get a catcher and a decent reliever.  

59 minutes ago, 101halo said:

I'm not a fan of the move, mainly because if it seems to Trout like we're going to keep doing the "hey, maybe this injury prone ex-ace pitcher can pitch 180 innings at a high level again" shtick, he's probably less likely to re-sign. 

But that isn't how it will seem to him.  I guarantee you he knows the Angels have made offers to four starting pitchers this off-season and that he knows the Angels have been in talks with Kikuchi.  There is no doubt Eppler has been trying this off-season.

24 minutes ago, wopphil said:

This is basically the equivalent of trading for Sonny Gray or Julio Teheran, without having to give up any prospects.  Very low risk, probably relatively low reward. Hopefully he can give us 165 innings of 4.40 ERA.

That's a good way of looking at it.

not saying they are the same, but this situation kinda reminds me of when the Astros acquired Gerrit Cole last year coming of a season with a 4.26 era , 8.8 h/9 and 8.7 k/9.  

not worlds away from what Harvey did with CIN last year.  Of course, I don't expect Matt to drop a sub 3 era out there and finish top 5 in CY voting.  

but my point is that there's more in the tank and it's at least interesting that the Angels think they have the tools to tap into it.  If they didn't think they could, they would have never made this move.  

@Jeff Fletcher any way to find out if Harvey was a pivot move of sorts or if he was a target all along?  I am guessing the latter and that the Halos would have gone after him even if they had acquired someone like Happ, Eovaldi or Corbin.