• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scooter Gennett?

halonatic13

Nothing, as they have multiple in house options at his positions. The Angels do not need help at 2nd. They went after Kinsler last year because they had no major league option at 2nd, but in that time, they now have 3 in house options, with a 4th on his way.

Last offseason, they signed Cozart and wanted to move him to 2nd, but then they were offered Kinsler, so they were like, ok then we can put Cozart at 3rd. Then they moved their top 5 prospect Jamhai Jones to 2nd, where he played in HS, becuase they have a lot of outfield prospects. Then Fletcher had a great year in AAA, and a solid start in the majors. Oh and also Renfigo was acquired from the Rays and played at 3 levels in 2018. Finally, Ward dominated with the bat (in the minors) after being moved to 3rd from Catcher, putting Cozart back in teh mix at 2nd.

I mean if they wanted to upgrade, I'd understand sending Fletcher back, but the reason the Reds are likely interested in moving him is because they too have a glut of infielders and need rotation help. It probably would take a guy like Tyler Skaggs or Jaime Barria. He's likely to make 10.7 M in his final arbitration year and the he's a free agent at 29.

Honestly he's what they hope Ward turns into, probably except at 3rd.

26 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

They can hope all they want.  Ward isn't that good.

I don’t know man.  He may be alright.  He at least showed some power and seems to have a disciplined approach.  I think it’s 50/50 that he’s a useable everyday player.  We’ll see.  

What gives me a little hope for him is that he seems to take the hitting thing very seriously.  You can look it up, he’s been working with this hitting guru a lot.  He’ll be playing winter ball this year.  Just gotta hope for the best.  I think we’ll probably have a decent idea with him by the ASB. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

56 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I don’t know man.  He may be alright.  He at least showed some power and seems to have a disciplined approach.  I think it’s 50/50 that he’s a useable everyday player.  We’ll see.  

What gives me a little hope for him is that he seems to take the hitting thing very seriously.  You can look it up, he’s been working with this hitting guru a lot.  He’ll be playing winter ball this year.  Just gotta hope for the best.  I think we’ll probably have a decent idea with him by the ASB. 

He may be decent, but he won't be as good as Scooter.

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

I honestly don’t remember Genett being a substantial prospect.  Who knows how it’ll turn out.  Ward does seem to have tools to be solid tho.  Like I said, just have to hope for the best. 

I will hope as well.  I'd love to eat crow on this subject.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Ward showed some power, but otherwise struggled at the MLB level.   Doesn’t that sound a little like Brandon Wood?

Wood was phenomenal in A Ball, ok in AA, and then hit .264/.326/.481 at AAA. He trended downward after A-Ball.

He never had the on-base percentage, or the average that Ward has shown in AA and AAA.

Granted it's a limited sample in each level, but the fact that his AA and AAA numbers were basically equal in 2018, gives me hope. A lot of players struggle in their first year at a new position defensively, and a lot of players struggle in their first call up to the majors.

I hope he can turn it around. I don't expect the Mike Trout-esque numbers he put up in AA/AAA to be what he puts up in the majors, but I think Scooter Gennett is a good comp for him with the bat.

8 minutes ago, Kody Mac said:

Difference is that Ward showed some power and moxie at the major league level. Wood looked like a terrified blind man swatting at flies.

Yeah his big problem was he struck out too much. Had he hit 10 more hits a walked 5 times instead of striking out, then he’d be the one everyone is penciling in to start at 3rd instead of Fletcher at 2nd.