• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Marlins Dillon Peters

JAHV76

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So a minor leaguer for a minor leaguer, ok.   I’ll assume they are working on more.   I doubt intelligent fans from other teams are up in arms about their team making these types of trades. 

They traded someone who could only relieve for someone that's been used exclusively as a SP and posted a 3.37 ERA in the minors with a 2.91:1 K/W and a GB rate near 50%.   Bullpen Experiment #2391 for Eppler.

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

They traded someone who could only relieve for someone that's been used exclusively as a SP and posted a 3.37 ERA in the minors with a 2.91:1 K/W and a GB rate near 50%.   Bullpen Experiment #2391 for Eppler.

I would add that in addition to IP's comment above and @Jeff Fletcher's tweet regarding a velocity (91 ----> 93) increase that the Angels could, as @totdprods suggested above, move him into the bullpen, potentially in a multi-inning relief role. He has 6 years of team control and has a Minor League history of low walk rates that have not carried over yet to his Major League innings pitched. Interestingly, in limited MLB sample sizes, he gets a lot of RHH's to pull the ball (about 49%) which would feed right into 3B and SS.

There is potential here, perhaps more in a long-man, multi-inning relief role.

Having two setbacks in the fall following shoulder surgery from a guy with a history of shoulder surgery...not a good sign.

At least we got a few good games from him. With Santiago spending more time fishing than playing baseball now, Busenitz sold to Japan, Nolasco unofficially retired, and Meyer possibly broken, that pretty much closes the book on that deal. 

24 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Having two setbacks in the fall following shoulder surgery from a guy with a history of shoulder surgery...not a good sign.

At least we got a few good games from him. With Santiago spending more time fishing than playing baseball now, Busenitz sold to Japan, Nolasco unofficially retired, and Meyer possibly broken, that pretty much closes the book on that deal. 

Kind of proves to be a bad trade. No one can say what else was on the table for Santiago but, as I said at the time, it would've been nice to get more of a sure thing than Meyer.

Just now, Kevinb said:

Yes because that’s what I was asking for. Also 6 plus era is now the standard for an extra starter? Couldn’t get someone in the 4s or 5s?

When the cost is someone you have never heard of, sure.  This is a move that will become something we really don’t even care about later on.  I highly doubt Tyler Stevens will ever pitch in the majors, and if he does more power to him.  We basically lost Meyer and Stevens for this dude.   This is a guy they release if they grab a legit guy later in the off season.  Just like we wouldn’t have cared if they left Meyer unprotected and released the guy they just traded, we won’t care about this.  

28 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Provides depth with an over 6 era. 

Guessing they view a guy with a functioning arm and solid minor league numbers to be better depth than the guy that can't throw a pitch yet and has missed the last season and a half.  

2 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Yes because that’s what I was asking for. Also 6 plus era is now the standard for an extra starter? Couldn’t get someone in the 4s or 5s?

No, they couldn't -- this is the best they could get and will ever get.   Season Over

Look, I doubt anyone picks up Meyer on a major league deal right now, and the Angels may offer him a minor league one. Had they done this a few weeks back, before the Rule 5 deadline, before he had his setback, someone might have tried to grab and then stash him until they can put him back on the 60-Day DL, but no one is going to now.

It's just like Madero over Walsh, I can think of a lot of teams who can take a Rule V pitcher and stash, but I don't remember the last big time Rule V position player besides who, Josh Hamilton?

EDIT: OK, I looked it up, and Marwin Gonzalez was a Rule V pick and Osdubal Herrera was as well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_5_draft#Notable_Rule_5_draftees

11 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i don't know anything about these two, but a "jump" to 93 doesn't sound all that amazing. i'm going to just go with my instincts and not give a shit about this trade one way or another.

But wouldn’t you rather be pseudo upset about it?  Everyone’s doing it.  

49 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Guessing they view a guy with a functioning arm and solid minor league numbers to be better depth than the guy that can't throw a pitch yet and has missed the last season and a half.  

No, they couldn't -- this is the best they could get and will ever get.   Season Over

I do like the hyperbole and the attitude. Solid way to have a conversation. Happy thanksgiving. 

23 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I do like the hyperbole and the attitude. Solid way to have a conversation. Happy thanksgiving. 

Lol, yes because you're the King of civility.   Early Merry Xmas!

50 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i don't know anything about these two, but a "jump" to 93 doesn't sound all that amazing. i'm going to just go with my instincts and not give a shit about this trade one way or another.

Probably the smartest comment made on the subject.  It's the bottom guy on the 40 man roster, dude is the proverbial flyer type acquisition.  Wouldn't really shock me if they end up cutting him as they go about the offseason.

1 minute ago, Tank said:

do you find it necessary to be contentious in every thread in which you post? come on, dude.

I'm guessing my choosing to not get dragged into an endless circle of pointlessness was "hyperbolic" and indicative of an attitude. 

I've pointed out his minor league rates, mentioned what they gave away to obtain him, and linked to a tweet pointing out Meyer was still injured/released.  I'll be surprised if he makes it through the off-season and am more worried the Angels may lose Pena than what this guys ERA was in a small sample size.