• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Depressing twitter thread RE Trout.

floplag

2 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Being compared to Michael Jordan is not depressing at all.

What is depressing so far in his career is that they haven't been on a deep run. Although it took Jordan a while into his career before the Bulls put it together. So here's hoping.

Depends how you look at it, as you say the lack of run or rings kinda kills the comparison really doesnt it? 
We have to do something, there is no point to having the best player on the planet on a 500 team.
I still feel like its fish or cut bait time this off season, put a team out there to make a run, frugality be damned, or consider options.  I know most dont agree with me on this and thats fine.

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

Depends how you look at it, as you say the lack of run or rings kinda kills the comparison really doesnt it? 
We have to do something, there is no point to having the best player on the planet on a 500 team.
I still feel like its fish or cut bait time this off season, put a team out there to make a run, frugality be damned, or consider options.  I know most dont agree with me on this and thats fine.

No, it doesn't kill the comparison that Alden Gonzalez was making. He was strictly talking about how he COULD be the MVP every single year, but they won't do that because it gets boring. Much like MJ and LeBron in basketball. Does anyone really believe James Harden was more valuable than LeBron James last year? I don't. 

Anyway, I agree with your overall premise that if they don't win soon they will forever be the franchise that screwed up an opportunity to win with the greatest baseball player ever quite possibly

I have no respect for what Gonzales is saying.  None.

I am not bothered by Betts winning thus year.  The argument is solid for him.

But any notion that it is OK to lean away from voting for the guy that earns the MVP because it is "boring" to give it to the same guy too many times is completely immature, and warped.

They asked for his opinion on who is the MVP.  How on earth can that be pivoted into him thinking they are asking him what player would be less boring to award?

What an unprofessional dick.

7 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I have no respect for what Gonzales is saying.  None.

I am not bothered by Betts winning thus year.  The argument is solid for him.

But any notion that it is OK to lean away from voting for the guy that earns the MVP because it is "boring" to give Otto the same guy too many times is completely immature, and warped.

They asked for his opinion on who is the MVP.  How on earth can that be pivoted into him thinking they are asking him what player would be less boring to award?

What an unprofessional dick.

Thats not the part that bothers me to be honest, i would have voted Betts this season myself.  
The troubling part is the lack of post season appearances, let alone titles. 

49 minutes ago, floplag said:

The tweet itself was depressing, but the comments were legit savage.  I wont bother with commentary, it doesnt matter, i just found it a depressing read on many levels. 

Actually @floplag I took it a complete 180 in the other direction and it had nothing to do with anything other than the MVP award.

Using rings in a discussion of player ratings is one of the most most logically vacant arguments possible - and yet it seems like everybody uses it. 

For instance, this is a controversial opinion these days: Tom Brady is not the GOAT - his individual numbers simply aren't there - yet to most football fans, this is apparently a heretical position. The Patriots winning five championships with Brady does not make him the GOAT. Trout's teams never making the playoffs but once in his seven years doesn't mean he isn't the GOAT. 

Now, if we're talking memorable? I will stipulate that most people only care about the playoffs and championships. It's hard to get that kind of recognition and perception without winning championships, but on a purely objective level, championship wins mean very little in regards to who is the best (or even better) player.

1 hour ago, GrittyVeterans said:

No, it doesn't kill the comparison that Alden Gonzalez was making. He was strictly talking about how he COULD be the MVP every single year, but they won't do that because it gets boring. Much like MJ and LeBron in basketball. Does anyone really believe James Harden was more valuable than LeBron James last year? I don't. 

I'm not really a basketball fan, but according to advanced metrics Harden was, indeed, better than LeBron last year:

2017-18 Win Shares

1. Harden 15.4

2. Towns 14.0

3. James 14.0

And the year before...

2016-17 Win Shares

1. Harden 15.0

6. James 12.9

No idea how well Win Shares match up with the court itself, and it doesn't account for "court presence" and team play - which are huge factors in basketball and can't be easily quantified in numbers. But on an individual basis, Harden was at least as good if not better.

17 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm not really a basketball fan, but according to advanced metrics Harden was, indeed, better than LeBron last year:

2017-18 Win Shares

1. Harden 15.4

2. Towns 14.0

3. James 14.0

And the year before...

2016-17 Win Shares

1. Harden 15.0

6. James 12.9

No idea how well Win Shares match up with the court itself, and it doesn't account for "court presence" and team play - which are huge factors in basketball and can't be easily quantified in numbers. But on an individual basis, Harden was at least as good if not better.

Did you see the roster LeBron had to work with last year?