• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

As mentioned in another thread, why not offer a higher salary for one year to Robertson?   He re-establishes himself as a closer, and then he can get the bigger money over 2-3 years to close elsewhere.   Can't Arte have three higher one year salaries in 2019 (to go with Harvey and Cahill), which puts him somewhat over budget (but under tax threshold) for just 2019?

Robertson, Lowrie, and Avila or Machete would be a solid enough close to the off-season.

Add Harvey, Cahill, Lowrie, Robertson, Bour, LaStella, and either Avila or Machete;

and lose Shoe and really not much else = potential for a nice season (including having Felix Pena, Canning, Suarez, Fletcher, Ward, Hermosillo, Peters, Tropeano, Bridwell, and Rhoades on call in AAA for nice depth plus Adell, Jones, Marsh, and Sandoval in AA for possible late season promotions to Anaheim).  

25 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

As mentioned in another thread, why not offer a higher salary for one year to Robertson?   He re-establishes himself as a closer, and then he can get the bigger money over 2-3 years to close elsewhere.   Can't Arte have three higher one year salaries in 2019 (to go with Harvey and Cahill), which puts him somewhat over budget (but under tax threshold) for just 2019?

Not impossible, but it's a little risky for Robertson at his age, the volatility of relievers, and the always changing relief market. Given that market, he's already likely getting offers anywhere from $5-6m annually, all the way up to $10-11m. How much higher is it worth going for one year for ~60 innings?

Since he's acting as his own agent, I think he's genuinely interested in getting a strong deal with multiple years somewhere he wants to be as well.

Just now, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Looks like Machado to the Yank's maybe a done deal.For Harper it may come down to Dodger and Phils, Dodgers are rumored to giving a contract of 5 yrs, while phils will need to overpay and they will offer 10 years. I hope that the phil overpay for Harper and than Keuchel, could benefit us in 2020 with trout. 

Link the Machado thing please.  I keep seeing stuff but nothing reputable 

I could see a 5/200 deal for Harper with a 3yr opt out.  Entering age 29 as a FA again.  Could get another 200m contract at that point and end up with 300+ mil.  

If I had to guess a Yanks Machado deal, it's 8/270.  opt out after the 4th year with 35m in each of the first 4.  

I think opt outs will shorten the term for both of these guys.  

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Source: Angels have the inside track on Kikuchi, but for a lot less than you'd expect. Teams have withheld bids so far. Lots of dialogue, not many offers. Also, Robertson meeting with Eppler was just a courtesy, not expected to leave the East Coast. Has offer in hand from Boston.

I was high on Kikuchi when I saw that MLB Trade Rumours had him projected at 6/$42, which seemed incredibly reasonable for a guy who was seen as a #3 with #2 potential. He helps now, helps later and at that price, you can weather some injuries along the way. I've seen much higher numbers being floated around but MLBTR's been pretty accurate so far so this doesn't surprise me.