• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you welcome or dislike Ebel as next manager?

Dtwncbad

1 hour ago, greginpsca said:

Former position players generally have a bad track record as managers. Pitchers and catchers usually have better track records because of their familarity with how to run pitching staffs. that's why i would hope the next manager would be Madden or Bud Black.

Alex Cora, Gabe Kapler, and Dave Roberts say "Hi".

21 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Completely independent of if you like Scioscia or not. . .IF Scioscia was not going to be the manager next year and the Angels announced they were simply promoting Dino Ebel would you be glad or disappointed?

It isn't the most glamorous headline but I don't really see any reason why someone like Dino Ebel should not make people comfortable.  Tons of experience and he knows this organization and they know him.

It is a new manager but maintains continuity at the same time.

I would be satisfied and happy for him.

The last thing this organization needs is continuity. They have had the same on field voice for 19 years. It is way over time to make a complete change. I would send Ebel to manage in the minors if he wanted to remain in the organization. This is Eppler’s time to make the changes he wants to make.  

I don't dislike Dino, i think he could be a fine manager, but.. i think the team needs a new direction, not more of the same. 

Dino is too ingrained in Scoscia's methods at this point and while otherwise qualified, i would prefer someone outside the organization at this point.

Exactly who, im not sure, but if were going with one of Svens lieutenants we might as well keep Sven. 

12 hours ago, greginpsca said:

Former position players generally have a bad track record as managers. 

John McGraw 3rd base.

Joe McCarthy 2nd base

Connie Mack Catcher

Casey Stengal Center Field

Tony LaRussa Utility Infielder

Bobby Cox 3rd base

Walter Alston 1st base

Joe Torre Catcher

Sparky Anderson Shortstop

Miller Huggins 2nd base

Those are the top 10 leaders in wins as manager.

20 hours ago, Stradling said:

We have no idea what his style would be. 

Well I'm guessing Scioscia hired him because he felt Ebel would fit into his point of view in running the team. I doubt he would hire a contrarian to his style.

And Ebel has managed a few games while Scioscia was away on  leave. On those rare occasions, I was excited to see what Ebel would do differently - and he did absolutely nothing different. Yes anecdotal evidence, but still those few games he showed nothing to differentiate himself from Scioscia.

13 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Well I'm guessing Scioscia hired him because he felt Ebel would fit into his point of view in running the team. I doubt he would hire a contrarian to his style.

And Ebel has managed a few games while Scioscia was away on  leave. On those rare occasions, I was excited to see what Ebel would do differently - and he did absolutely nothing different. Yes anecdotal evidence, but still those few games he showed nothing to differentiate himself from Scioscia.

Haha, ok.  So when he brought in Bud Black, Ron Roenicke and retained Maddon it is because they fit into his point of view?  Sometimes people surround themselves with coaches that compliment the manager.  Look I have no idea if Ebel would be a good manager, but I find it very poor logic to assume he would be just like Scioscia.  I guess if Maddon wanted to come home we should say no, because he was a Scioscia disciple.  

don't think Ebel gets the gig.

IMO it's Brad Ausmus and unless there's a real uprising in Halo land (when does that EVER Happen? - the fan base seems asleep AT the games, IN the ballpark).

If not Ausmus -- then Eric Chavez.

I say it's Brad Ausums, with Eric Chavez either bench coach or third base coach.

Ausmus for two maybe three years -- then Chavez gets the gig..........

I think.

Does anyone think there's ANY chance that Scioscia's back in 2019?? 

This four game set vs. Houston at HOME has a finality feel about it - I like Sosh and he did much good here -- but this four game set -- many fans may be in the:

GOOD RIDDANCE mode.

Jeff Fletcher rightfully points out:

do any of us know how someone would be as a manager before they became a manager?? 

NO -- but there's those you know who would probably be pretty good -- Craig Biggio, Chase Utley, Yadier Molina........

I would add Brad Ausmus to that list - but apparently many folks here think his time in Detroit was awful.

10 hours ago, disarcina said:

Jeff Fletcher rightfully points out:

do any of us know how someone would be as a manager before they became a manager?? 

NO -- but there's those you know who would probably be pretty good -- Craig Biggio, Chase Utley, Yadier Molina........

I would add Brad Ausmus to that list - but apparently many folks here think his time in Detroit was awful.

How do you know?

ill tell you what will make the next Angels manager successful: The players performing. 

2 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

How do you know?

ill tell you what will make the next Angels manager successful: The players performing. 

Jeff if you give the best manager in baseball and the worst manager in baseball the same level of talent, how many more wins does the best manager get out of his team?  5? 6? 10?