• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you welcome or dislike Ebel as next manager?

Dtwncbad

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

Jeff if you give the best manager in baseball and the worst manager in baseball the same level of talent, how many more wins does the best manager get out of his team?  5? 6? 10?

I’ll take 3-4.

And 1-2 from average to best/worst.

95 percent of the stuff you guys complain about a) doesn’t matter or b) is the same with all managers. 

I hate to break it to you. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I’ll take 3-4.

95 percent of the stuff you guys complain about a) doesn’t matter or b) is the same with all managers. 

You aren’t breaking it to me, I figured as much.  That is why I laugh at the Scioscia haters and the blame he gets.  

These days, really all I think that matters is health and however strong any proprietary analytics/data teams use to build a roster and the org. Coaching staff only influences things if they're exceptionally poor communicators or straight-up a-holes.

Pretty much every team has come around to some sort of advanced metrics and a lot start with the same base line of data now too, so it comes down to whomever can find the next competitive advantage in whatever data they collect and interpret.

Oh yeah, and health.

5 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I’ll take 3-4.

MLB managers probably have the least effect in terms of wins/losses of any professional sport.  The vast majority of the job is common sense and player/ego management.  You draw up a line up card, put the good players near the top and the shitty players near the bottom.  Let the pitching coach deal with the pitchers, the hitting coach deal with the hitters.  We're even in the AL where you don't have to deal with double switches and pinch hitting for pitchers so things are even more plug and play.  

I agree that we need fresh blood just because we've sucked for so long and it couldn't really get any worse no matter who we hire at this point.  Having Trout/Ohtani/Simmons/Upton in the lineup everyday and even passable starting pitching automatically puts us at about a .500 team give or take a few wins,  no matter who is managing.  The only thing that's going to make us better is getting better players.  

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

You aren’t breaking it to me, I figured as much.  That is why I laugh at the Scioscia haters and the blame he gets.  

Well, even if he isn't to blame it is time to move on. Look at what the Yankees and Red Sox did last year after making the playoffs and winning a lot of baseball games: they still went in another direction. Dodgers could make the playoffs and fire Roberts possibly. Are those guys 100% to blame? No, but the org felt a change was warranted and that's what matters. IMO a change has been warranted for the Angels for at least 2-3 seasons now.

It's just how it goes in sports. People have shelf lives: Bellichek's, Popovich's, etc are very rare.

7 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I’ll take 3-4.

I completely disagree with you Jeff.  A manager has the ability to completely motivate or demotivate a team.  He can be the difference between a 20 game win streak or 20 game losing streak.  If you have a manager that doesn't relate to the players or players who are just tired of the same old manager.  That will be a huge difference.  I would say 10+.  I know you have more experience...but I'm right. Whenever I change managers in MLB The Show, it easily affects my team.  

On 9/22/2018 at 9:01 PM, greginpsca said:

Former position players generally have a bad track record as managers. Pitchers and catchers usually have better track records because of their familarity with how to run pitching staffs. that's why i would hope the next manager would be Madden or Bud Black.

Except Chavez was injured 90% of his career & spent alot of time watching the game & learning about managing & coaching stuff.

He'll fit right in with the players, he'll get DLed & sent down to AAA to manage a rehab game & called back up when he's activated.

13 hours ago, disarcina said:

Jeff Fletcher -- you're around the club day to day --

it's starting to look like Scioscia may be back.

Could that happen?

If Scioscia were coming back, they would have offered him a contract by now and you would have heard about him either saying yes or no to the offer by this point.

Sunday will be his last game wearing an Angels uniform.

3 hours ago, Dick B Back said:

I don’t think Boston could get past Houston or Cleveland so it ain’t happenin’.

You should’ve stuck with Houston. Saying Boston couldn’t get past Cleveland undermines your argument. Houston is fair, though. I think Boston comes out of the AL, though. I think Houston breaks down at the wrong time. The NL will have to get lucky to win the WS this year - the AL teams are quite a bit better.