• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Anyone concerned about Ward?

Dtwncbad

Not at all. I do think he should start next season in AAA, hopefully getting some occasional reps at 1B, LF, maybe even 2B. A little more seasoning at AAA won't hurt, especially if he's adding at least emergency versatility. I don't like the idea of locking him into only one position this early in his career, but it would've been too much to ask him to learn multiple new positions this year. 

Not at all worried. But it also depends upon your expectations. I think it was Chuck who compared him to Josh Donaldson, who has been one of the half a dozen or so best players of the Trout Era. Now to be fair to @Chuckster70, maybe he was deliberately wishful thinking, but it obviously isn't a fair comparison. It is like expecting Michael Hermosillo to Grady Sizemore because they have a similar type of tools package.

The extremes are Brandon Wood (or Kaleb Cowart, presumably) on one end and Josh Donaldson on the end. In other words, there is a tiny chance that Ward does, indeed, become Donaldson, and a small (but larger) chance he's Wood or Cowart.

Here's how I see the different possible outcomes for peak-Ward:

5% (Worst-case scenario): Wood or Cowart, negative-WAR player. A complete dud.

35% (Low-end reasonable projection): marginal regular, good platoon player; maybe .250/.320/.400, 1-2 WAR/year.

45% (Moderate reasonable projection): quality to above average regular; .270/.350/.430, 2-4 WAR.

15% (High-end reasonable projection): impact player/borderline star; .280/.370/.480, 4-5 WAR.

<1% (Best of all possible worlds): Josh Donaldson, .290+/.900+, 6+ WAR

These are obviously just wild speculations, but expresses the basic idea. I will be at least mildly disappointed in 40% of the possible outcomes, happy in 45%, ecstatic in 15%.

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

Not at all worried. But it also depends upon your expectations. I think it was Chuck who compared him to Josh Donaldson, who has been one of the half a dozen or so best players of the Trout Era. Now to be fair to @Chuckster70, maybe he was deliberately wishful thinking, but it obviously isn't a fair comparison. It is like expecting Michael Hermosillo to Grady Sizemore because they have a similar type of tools package.

The extremes are Brandon Wood (or Kaleb Cowart, presumably) on one end and Josh Donaldson on the end. In other words, there is a tiny chance that Ward does, indeed, become Donaldson, and a small (but larger) chance he's Wood or Cowart.

Here's how I see the different possible outcomes for peak-Ward:

5% (Worst-case scenario): Wood or Cowart, negative-WAR player. A complete dud.

35% (Low-end reasonable projection): marginal regular, good platoon player; maybe .250/.320/.400, 1-2 WAR/year.

45% (Moderate reasonable projection): quality to above average regular; .270/.350/.430, 2-4 WAR.

15% (High-end reasonable projection): impact player/borderline star; .280/.370/.480, 4-5 WAR.

<1% (Best of all possible worlds): Josh Donaldson, .290+/.900+, 6+ WAR

These are obviously just wild speculations, but expresses the basic idea. I will be at least mildly disappointed in 40% of the possible outcomes, happy in 45%, ecstatic in 15%.

I was comping their minor league trajectories and the fact that they were both top round picks and switched from C to 3B. 

Easy now. 

19 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

There should be some concern which is normal. Tyler Ward is getting a hard look right now and it would bode well for him to put up some descent numbers this coming month. 

7 minutes ago, Lou said:

that's going to be hard to do 

I disagree...his numbers have been descending quite impressively...or is crashing like a Russian satellite a more apt description?

35 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

There should be some concern which is normal. Tyler Ward is getting a hard look right now and it would bode well for him to put up some descent numbers this coming month. 

People named Taylor don't like being called "Tyler."

Back to the topic, let us not forget that at the start of the year Ward was drifting into fringe prospect territory. He and Fletcher were both considered future role players - bench/platoon guys. Both had great years in the high minors and now people may be expecting more than they should. I think the main difference is that where before the season they projected as good bench players, now they project as quality regulars. 

11 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Back to the topic, let us not forget that at the start of the year Ward was drifting into fringe prospect territory. He and Fletcher were both considered future role players - bench/platoon guys. Both had great years in the high minors and now people may be expecting more than they should. I think the main difference is that where before the season they projected as good bench players, now they project as quality regulars. 

yep.  

I'm not concerned about Ward.  I just think there's a strong chance he's not going to end up being very good.  Am I rubbing my horseshoe with a rabbit's foot?  sure.  

but welcome to baseball Taylor.  

He'll either adjust or he won't.  He's well within the normal spectrum of outcomes for a guy getting his first taste.  

Honestly, if he works out, it's a huge bonus.  He was written off to start the year.  

I’m not really concerned about what we’ve seen from Taylor Ward so far.  But generally I’m concerned about the Angels getting production out of 3B in the next 2-3 years.  It’s an ongoing problem.  I’ve never been overly optimistic about Taylor Ward anyway.  I’m hoping for the best; but not expecting a whole lot.  At least he gives us something to keep an eye on down the stretch.  Same goes for Fletcher.  Tho, I’m a little more hopeful that he may prove to be an adequate everyday player. 

Edited by UndertheHalo