• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Does Eppler realize how stupid this is?

It is not OK and until he finally decides to pay up for legit options, this merry go round will continue. This team can't ever get any kind of momentum because we see multiple games a week like today from this bullpen. They have maybe 3 good enough middle relievers(Parker, Bedrosian, Alvarez), 1 long-reliever type(Noe Ramirez) and then a rookie with good stuff who is incapable of throwing quality strikes with it(Anderson). The rest of the bunch are a mix match of crap that Eppler shovels around here and there(Morris, Paredes, Drake, McGuire, Robles, etc)

It sucks and im sure we are all fed up with it. Im with dawg, i think Eppler is working the phones, the deals just aren't there.  I imgine teams are simply asking for more than he is willing to part ways with at this point. I say hold on to prospects, i believe we are nearing the end of the transitional phase.

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

What can he do though? I mean he obviously fucked up by not addressing the bullpen this off-season, but do we want him trading prospects for a couple relievers?

Honestly we need at least 2 pitchers for the pen. Also we have a bunch of injured starters.

I wonder what Justin Upton and Andrelton Simmons (let alone Mike Trout) are thinking when Hansel Robles is towing the mound in the 10th after they fought their way back from 3 runs down twice.  

At some point you have to help the major league club win if they've got a chance.  Every game like this just erodes at whatever faith these guys have that they can pull off a spot in the playoffs.  

Do you have to trade Adell, Marsh, Maitan, Jones, Barria, Canning, Suarez etc for someone half way decent?  Herrera got had for guys that would barely crack our top 20.  

It's probably already too late.  

I love having a nice farm system.  It's my second favorite thing to winning games at the major league level.  

Are we better off having guys like Luis Pena or Leon Rivas, or Torii jr or Livan Soto or Taylor Ward or Jeremy Rhoades or Jesus Castillo, or Mike Hermosillo, or Brennon Lund in our farm system or giving our major league club a better chance to win?  Especially when the lack of pen talent has had such a tremendous negative impact on a team that is still better than .500.  

16 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Hansel Robles, Eduardo Paredes, Deck McGuire, Akeel Morris, Oliver Drake and a slew of others pitching meaningful innings for a team that's supposed to contend for a playoff spot?  

At least we didn't blow a save today.  

How can he justify this?  

I would like some thoughts on how this is ok?  

10 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

What can he do though? I mean he obviously fucked up by not addressing the bullpen this off-season, but do we want him trading prospects for a couple relievers?

Honestly we need at least 2 pitchers for the pen. Also we have a bunch of injured starters.

It's not okay. But he should have done something this last winter when prices were a lot cheaper. Now in the middle of a pennant race he will be paying through the nose in prospects and currency to acquire what he should have been doing all winter..... which to this board's credit pretty much everyone on angelswin was saying for it to be done.

At this point do we really want to trade some stud prospects for questionable, marginal pitchers who will not log a lot of innings and are probably 3 month rentals anyways? Honestly I think we have to start looking towards next year.

The offense is bad

The bullpen is bad

The starting pitching cannot stay healthy and cannot log a lot of innings anyways.... so it is bad also.

If it was not for Mike Trout you could make a case that the Angels are one of the worst teams in the league.

If they can do a Simmons or Upton trade on a player they are confident that they can extend than I am all for it. But after the first 2 weeks of the season this team has played .444 ball. And looking at all the injuries.... it is probably going to get worse before it gets better.

10 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

It's not just the pen. The starting rotation is also a mess. Skaggs is the only starter still there from Opening Day.

I mean, who the hell are John Lamb and Felix Pena?!

there's a potential light at the end of that tunnel for the starters.  

Honestly though.  It's probably too late anyway.  That's probably what he's thinking.  It's a catch 22.  We'll get you some help if you make a run.  We need that help to make a run.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I wonder what Justin Upton and Andrelton Simmons (let alone Mike Trout) are thinking when Hansel Robles is towing the mound in the 10th after they fought their way back from 3 runs down twice.  

I was thinking about this as well. I mean if we the fans are this pissed about it, you got to believe the players are feeling it too.

This road trip could literally finish off the season.  If he’s going to do something it has to be pretty quick.  Big roll of the dice otherwise. 

I continue think you just look at multi year improvement opportunities and avoid rentals.  He should get creative about trying to add a bat and a reliever.  Arte has to green light an increase in salary.  Only way this is going to happen without raping the farm.

Bad luck and a pretty bad approach to the bullpen probably going to make this another wasted year.  It’s looking pretty bad. Oh well. Chins up I guess. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

This road trip could literally finish off the season.  If he’s going to do something it has to be pretty quick.  Big roll of the dice otherwise. 

I continue to think you just look at multi year improvement opportunities and avoid rentals.  He should get creative about trying to add a bat and a reliever.  Arte has to green light and increase in salary.  Only way this is going to happen without raping the farm. 

Great post. 100% agree with the 2nd paragraph.

22 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Hansel Robles, Eduardo Paredes, Deck McGuire, Akeel Morris, Oliver Drake and a slew of others pitching meaningful innings for a team that's supposed to contend for a playoff spot?  

At least we didn't blow a save today.  

How can he justify this?  

I would like some thoughts on how this is ok?  

This is the direct result of a tapped out budget. Arte has spent over $200M with salaries, benefits and Ohtani’s posting fees on this year’s team. He’s not going to let Eppler add anymore money in 2018.

Just now, OHTANILAND said:

This is the direct result of a tapped out budget. Arte has spent over $200M with salaries, benefits and Ohtani’s posting fees on this year’s team. He’s not going to let Eppler add anymore money in 2018.

?

4 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

You may be right and the budget may be maxed. But the owner can go beyond the budget if he really wants to fix the problems......a lot of the problems he created.

The owner is incredibly rich & the real estate market is making him richer by the day. He has made a lot of money with the team as well. If he really wants to win than he could spend more money. 

You spend money you make money. Arte made money on the Pujols signing. He has already made a profit on that. The one thing Arte does not have is a WS ring.

2 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

You may be right and the budget may be maxed. But the owner can go beyond the budget if he really wants to fix the problems......a lot of the problems he created.

The owner is incredibly rich & the real estate market is making him richer by the day. He has made a lot of money with the team as well. If he really wants to win than he could spend more money. 

You spend money you make money. Arte made money on the Pujols signing. He has already made a profit on that. The one thing Arte does not have is a WS ring.

Please don't

14 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

They stayed just under it with the acquisitions. I could be wrong but I think they have about 10-12 million to play with for this year.

You may be right, still it shows that Arte is willing to spend more if there's room in the budget and the right players to spend it on. The Angels failure to trade for better players will have nothing to do with money, im pretty certain of that.

24 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

He won’t. More money comes off off the books after this season so Eppler can spin the wheel again. We can give special thanks to both of those great acquisitions Kinsler and Cozart for putting Arte back in yacht mode for 2018. April was pretty cool though.

i cant keep watching this bullpen fail over an over and over, im officially under the definition of insanity thing where its gotten to the point where its predictable. 
We put a cast off from the mets... the freaking mets, in a tie game late and we wonder why we lost.
I wont be watching for a little bit i cant take this shit anymore.  

41 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Wasnt it just last year they were up against the tax threshold and still went out and acquried Upton and Phillips?

Arte had Hamilton and Wilson @$40M+ coming off the books and Eppler convinced him that they were close enough to catch the second wild card.