• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Mariners are 33-20. Is Dipoto smart again?

I'm here to whack the bee hive.  

The loss of Cano seems to have inspired them.  

Their offense is reasonably balanced.  Getting Segura and Haniger for Walker and Marte was an absolute fleecing.  He got Healy who is basically CJ Cron, for almost nothing.  

Gordon is set back in a few days and will take his natural position where he's earned a gold glove (albeit PED related).  

Their SP seems to suck but they're 11th in WAR (5th in the AL).  He's got 40ip of 2.7era from Wade LeBlanc.  Outside of Paxton, they look like a hot mess on paper but they're getting the job done.  

Top 5 bullpen got better with the addition of Colome.  (BTW - F YOU Jerry for suddenly finding a way to fashion a solid pen).  

There farm pretty much blows, but here's the wild card in that.  Everything will go.  And why not?  He's gonna move every last possible asset in the farm for as much talent as he can muster to the major league club.  

Do they have enough to get Machado?  Segura to 2b and Gordon back to CF?  

Dylan Bundy?  Danny duffy?  Cole Hamels?  Granderson?  Solarte?  Pillar?  Happ?  Aaron Sanchez?  Sal Perez?  Soler?  Castellanos?  

I think he likes having a terrible farm system so no one is untouchable.  Whereas every phone call Eppler has about a trade entails a discussion about Adell, Marsh, Canning, and Jones.  

It's almost half tempting to try and get Kyle Lewis and Evan White for Richards.  

Anyway, right now they're looking solid.  They're outplaying their talent.  We're doing the opposite.  

11 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I'm here to whack the bee hive.  

The loss of Cano seems to have inspired them.  

Their offense is reasonably balanced.  Getting Segura and Haniger for Walker and Marte was an absolute fleecing.  He got Healy who is basically CJ Cron, for almost nothing.  

Gordon is set back in a few days and will take his natural position where he's earned a gold glove (albeit PED related).  

Their SP seems to suck but they're 11th in WAR (5th in the AL).  He's got 40ip of 2.7era from Wade LeBlanc.  Outside of Paxton, they look like a hot mess on paper but they're getting the job done.  

Top 5 bullpen got better with the addition of Colome.  (BTW - F YOU Jerry for suddenly finding a way to fashion a solid pen).  

There farm pretty much blows, but here's the wild card in that.  Everything will go.  And why not?  He's gonna move every last possible asset in the farm for as much talent as he can muster to the major league club.  

Do they have enough to get Machado?  Segura to 2b and Gordon back to CF?  

Dylan Bundy?  Danny duffy?  Cole Hamels?  Granderson?  Solarte?  Pillar?  Happ?  Aaron Sanchez?  Sal Perez?  Soler?  Castellanos?  

I think he likes having a terrible farm system so no one is untouchable.  Whereas every phone call Eppler has about a trade entails a discussion about Adell, Marsh, Canning, and Jones.  

It's almost half tempting to try and get Kyle Lewis and Evan White for Richards.  

Anyway, right now they're looking solid.  They're outplaying their talent.  We're doing the opposite.  

Well remember, a few years after taking over the Angels, he did guide us to our 2014 season in which we led baseball in victories.

Dipoto has a fairly definitive arc with his teams.  He's able to put them in a pretty good position within a few years, as he leaches talent from his minor league system to build a winner.  That may work temporarily, but it's fleeting - eventually, the lack of minor league talent simply catches up to your team.

The Mariners are playing well, kudos to them.  They may even very well make the playoffs as WC#2 - it's entirely possible.  But they aren't legitimate WS contenders, are getting older, and soon won't have a farm system to rely on to generate any kind of significant, cheap talent.  He is not building a WS team, he is building a WC2 team that doesn't really have a legitimate WS chance.

Eh. Too early too tell.

The Segura/Haniger for Walker/Marte has been amazing though. He has had some dud trades ... mostly due to unforeseen injuries and the Cano situation certainly isn't his fault. Our farm sucked years ago, it sucks today ... not totally his fault. 

He did let Chris Taylor go for nothing ... but I don't think anyone saw that resurgence coming from the way he looked while playing for the M's. Trading Gohara for Smyly sucked in hindsight ... no one knew Smyly would blow out his arm in the WBC.

I'm ok with Dipoto, but its hard not to be when coming from Bavasi and Zdurienck.  

Just now, JustATroutFan said:

It feels to me that they have overachieved and have had a lot of luck on their side this season. What is their record in 1 run games anyway? 

We have won 16 of them. IF you took out our blow out losses in the beginning of the season our run differential would be a better looking +40 something.

Scraping together wins with a literal AAA team has been fun though lately.

3 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Well remember, a few years after taking over the Angels, he did guide us to our 2014 season in which we led baseball in victories.

Dipoto has a fairly definitive arc with his teams.  He's able to put them in a pretty good position within a few years, as he leaches talent from his minor league system to build a winner.  That may work temporarily, but it's fleeting - eventually, the lack of minor league talent simply catches up to your team.

The Mariners are playing well, kudos to them.  They may even very well make the playoffs as WC#2 - it's entirely possible.  But they aren't legitimate WS contenders, are getting older, and soon won't have a farm system to rely on to generate any kind of significant, cheap talent.  He is not building a WS team, he is building a WC2 team that doesn't really have a legitimate WS chance.

Agree on all fronts, but anything can happen in the playoffs.  I'd rather not see them get the chance.  They're a complete rebuild two years from now.  

Just now, Dochalo said:

Agree on all fronts, but anything can happen in the playoffs.  I'd rather not see them get the chance.  They're a complete rebuild two years from now.  

Anything can happen, but Cano is not playoff eligible this year, and they're likely going to get crushed by either the Yankees or the Red Sox.  So another year wasted, and another year closer to that complete rebuild they will need shortly when they realize they have zero prospects in the pipeline.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

Anything can happen, but Cano is not playoff eligible this year, and they're likely going to get crushed by either the Yankees or the Red Sox.  So another year wasted, and another year closer to that complete rebuild they will need shortly when they realize they have zero prospects in the pipeline.

yes.  likely.  

we're likely to do the same, but I'd like to have a shot and so would they.  It's not a wasted year yet.  They're 13 games above .500.  

Just now, Dochalo said:

yes.  likely.  

we're likely to do the same, but I'd like to have a shot and so would they.  It's not a wasted year yet.  They're 13 games above .500.  

We have a much more promising future though, which I will gladly take.  We are building a team that will contend for years.  It has taken some time to undo the damage we had from before, but we are building a sustainable winner.

15 minutes ago, calscuf said:

You can say his system doesn’t work, but if things go south and he’s allowed to have an actual fire sale and replinish the farm (which is never allowed here)?    

Maybe.

he would turn expiring major league talent into slightly lesser talented major league players with more club control.