• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Howie Kendrick

13 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

I hope not.   That guy was a really good ball player.  He got very little respect on this board because he didn’t live up to some sports writers expectation.  

He's out for the season.  Was having a great year starting for the Nats at 2nd base

Bad news, man. Love Howie great guy and a lot better player than some give him credit for.

Hopefully he makes it back ok. 

Kind of wierd. His entire life hes played baseball year round, but especially over the summer. Now youre off for the summer for the first time in your adult life. First time hes going to end up at a 4th of July party.

I always liked Howie, but he wasn't a "great player." We can appreciate him without over-exagerrating, just because he got hurt - and I feel bad for him, but he's had a pretty good run.

Howie was pretty much the definition of an average player who had the occasional above average season. 13 years in the majors, 11 of those seasons 2.4 fWAR or lower. His best years (according to fWAR): 5.3 in 2011, 4.6 in 2014.

And yeah, he was disappointing relative to his minor league batting line which made him look like a future batting champion.

36 minutes ago, azmancini said:

Some of the more frequent spoken words from the Phys and Hud in the booth when Howie was around....

“Thats a 6-4-3 double play to end the inning stranding Figgins in scoring position”

or here’s one we all sure remember and would like to forget.....”Howie waves at the slider low and away for strike three”

Ribbing aside,  Kendrick seemed like a good guy and his overall body of work was solid.

This is a shitty post but your overall body of work has been solid.  

Sucks for it to end like this but I don't really feel that bad for him personally. He's 35 years old, presumably reaching the end of his career anyway. All guys eventually go out with either an injury or they just lose the ability to play the game at the MLB level. How many guys that aren't hall of famers play until they're 38-40? Not many

He had a very successful career and made quite a bit of money, and is still owed cash for next year too. I'm sure he's bummed about it, but realizes that in the grand scheme of things he had a very long career compared to most players

The average MLB career is 5.6 years. Howie played 13 seasons. 

8 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I always liked Howie, but he wasn't a "great player." We can appreciate him without over-exagerrating, just because he got hurt - and I feel bad for him, but he's had a pretty good run.

Howie was pretty much the definition of an average player who had the occasional above average season. 13 years in the majors, 11 of those seasons 2.4 fWAR or lower. His best years (according to fWAR): 5.3 in 2011, 4.6 in 2014.

And yeah, he was disappointing relative to his minor league batting line which made him look like a future batting champion.

Kendrick ranks 66th all time in WAR at 2b.  So, while he wasn't great, he was for the most part consistently better than the average 2B, easily a second tier guy for the entirety of his Angels' career..   He was definitely underappreciated by Angels fans.... mostly because people bought into minor league batting averages and not any of the predictive data that argued it wasn't going to carry over in MLB.

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Kendrick ranks 66th all time in WAR at 2b.  So, while he wasn't great, he was for the most part consistently better than the average 2B, easily a second tier guy for the entirety of his Angels' career..   He was definitely underappreciated by Angels fans.... mostly because people bought into minor league batting averages and not any of the predictive data that argued it wasn't going to carry over in MLB.

He was a great util/pinch hitter for the Nats last year.

and wound have been a guy who could easily come in for Calhoun if  here.

11 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

When HK was here we could count on .280 ish BA, 25-35 doubles, 10 HR, OPS around 750, 10-15 SB, and great defense. 

Compare that to what we've had there since then. 

He was great. Not saying even borderline HOF, but a great baseball player. 

Maybe not great as it relates to MLB but a great Angel.  He extended our line up for a decade.  He hit over .290 with a .330 OBP and a .750 OPS as a second baseman.  He is one of the most consistent players we had year in and year out.  He was severely under rated by fans.  If we had him this year and he was healthy, we would be in a much better place.