• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Are you in favor of a robotic strike zone?

Are you in favor of a robotic strike zone?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of a robotic strike zone?

• Yes
    • No

IMO, a strike should be a strike every time and a ball should be a ball every time.  After tonight's ump and the strike/ball calling this year, it's time to get rid of humans calling balls and strikes.  We have the tech so bring baseball into the present/future and embrace technology.

I was one of the main proponents for this 10 years ago here. At the end of the day it's team versus team, not team versus team versus umpire which is what we have in baseball. If strike zones can be had, use them. I'm all about eliminating the human error element. F*ck nostalgia, history, etc....just get it right and let the best player, team, etc. win.

if anyone disagrees with me, my key witness is AJ Pierzynski.

We have the the tech, stop with the bullshit history ad nostalgia argument. It gets it right.

Just now, TroutField said:

Yes the umpiring in MLB is awful? Idk if it’s the new strike zone box or what but pitch calling is absolutely terrible this year. 

It has always been terrible, you're just noticing it a lot more now because of the K zone thing. 

What pisses me off is when you see a pitch like tonight against Simmons in the 9th. That pitch wasn't even borderline and gets called a strike. Total bullshit.

1 minute ago, GrittyVeterans said:

It has always been terrible, you're just noticing it a lot more now because of the K zone thing. 

What pisses me off is when you see a pitch like tonight against Simmons in the 9th. That pitch wasn't even borderline and gets called a strike. Total bullshit.

And that Correa base on ball off of Richards early in the game should have been a strikeout but since the home plate umpire is stupid and blind, it resulted in a cheap base on ball. I'm all for robotic ump. Should know the difference between balls and strikes and both pitchers and hitters will stop complaining.

It seems that most people don’t like the idea of it being a perfect system where it’s soo accurate that the game feels unauthentic. 

I’m developing a baseball simulation game and part of the code I’m writing for calling balls and strikes involves a degree of randomness or “noise.” This means that sometimes close calls that should be strikes will be balls and pitches that are off the plate will sometimes will be strikes. This will give the game a feel of the human element.  I think if there  were to be some implementation of a robotic umpire, they could use something similar to make it still feel authentic. Maybe have a human umpire who reads and calls out the pitch that is determined to help with it.

I think the umpires this year have been truly horrible. Never seen so many completely missed calls. Not sure if they should do away with them and make people lose their jobs, but I don’t think an automatic system is terrible either in theory. Basically I don’t want people to lose their jobs so I say no haha

23 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I feel like before though, umpires would at least be semi consistent in calling the same ball/strike off the plate. And it would usually be even for both sides. Yes there would be games where it was truly horrible, but this year has been like that almost nightly. 

The strike zone thing definitely points it out more tho. 

8 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Yes. 100 percent. I was watching the Giants and Reds game today and the strike and ball calling was absolutely putrid. Just an embarrassing act of umpiring. Strike calling affects the outcome of games. It needs to be done properly and accurately.

Giants Suarez

location.php-pitchSel=605498&game=gid_20

Reds Harvey

location.php-pitchSel=518774&game=gid_20

8 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

IMO, a strike should be a strike every time and a ball should be a ball every time.  After tonight's ump and the strike/ball calling this year, it's time to get rid of humans calling balls and strikes.  We have the tech so bring baseball into the present/future and embrace technology.

I don't agree with this. And if we start this where does it end? I'm surprised so many okay this.