• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire more int'l money from twins for jacob pearson

ukyah

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

It also tells me that we're not interested in Dee Gordon.  That would have been a no brainer.  We take on Dee's contract.  Throw in Pearson and maybe another prospect or two from the bottom of our 30 and grab a couple mill in intl money.  

Or the Marlins won't trade Gordon at this time because he may be included in a deal to SF with Stanton.

Eppler had to make the move or it could have been a signal to Ohtani that the Angels weren't as interested as the Mariners...$1.3M difference to Mariners offer is much greater than $300,000.

Interesting to see that Ohtani made $2.4M last year in Japan so he's not hurting for cash as a 23 year old.

Yeah i have to believe he thinks we are legit contenders to make such a move, or he already has a backup plan for the money if not.  I can't see him just doing this on a whim or a what if, its not his motif.    
I also think Othani had an idea where he wanted to be before this all even began too.  This list of final 7 is more like the opening list i think.  I'm guessing its between Sea, SD, and us.  If it isn't us i'm hoping for SD.  
Regardless i want this and Stanton to do something before the winter meetings, this is dragging on far too long. 

8 hours ago, ThomasSutpen said:

Man it's gotta suck to be an A's fan. The roster is a wreck, their new stadium location just got denied, and three of the seven Ohtani finalists are in the AL West. But I guess they got a pretty good return on Ryon Healy so there's that.

I suspect they will have the last laugh when they relocate to Vegas. 

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If Ohtani goes somewhere else, Eppler might as well go after the guy Marte that the Twins voided the contract of.  Eppler vowed to spend every dollar possible to rebuild the farm through the draft and international signings.  

If we had a stacked farm system, you might consider not spending....Fletcher says it's an "allowance" only, not like you have to spend it....But, given the state of our farm system, I'd spend every penny if there are decent prospects out there...

12 minutes ago, DMVol said:

If we had a stacked farm system, you might consider not spending....Fletcher says it's an "allowance" only, not like you have to spend it....But, given the state of our farm system, I'd spend every penny if there are decent prospects out there...

Well you certainly don’t acquire more bonus pool money at the cost of your most recent third round pick and then turn around and not spend that allotted money.  

14 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

On the Gordon subject, I'm good with going after Cozart, who won't cost in dollars what Walker will and is healthier usually.

I'd like Cozart if we upgraded at 1B or 3B//2B still (wherever he didn't play) in case his offense proves a fluke.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Well you certainly don’t acquire more bonus pool money at the cost of your most recent third round pick and then turn around and not spend that allotted money.  

This and knowing our Starting OF is set through 2020 and the 4-5 coming up through the ranks our current and future OF is looking pretty solid if the kids continue in their development and avoid any significant injuries.

Also, they had a chance to coach and watch Pearson for a full season. Maybe, the previous torn labrum issue was an underlining issue in the FO's thought process when you line him up vs Adell, Jones, Hunter JR, Marsh etc. If the kid is going to end up being a platoon OF/4th-5th OF'er there are aspects to those positions that are important defense and throwing being one of them. And lining him up vs the others (even though the Bat showed power potential and the speed was there). Maybe, it ended up who could help in other areas most notably "Not" be a defensive liability throwing wise?

It basically comes back to our 90's version of the 4 OF'ers (Salmon, Edmonds, Anderson, Erstad) in 2020-2022 where we rotated them through the outfield positions and DH spot. And hope one takes on another position like 1st base.

And a future area of strength to Trade from.

Trading Jacob Pearson sucks. But it isn't the end of the world I suppose. If we end up with Ohtani, then it's worth it. If we come away with two solid prospect, it's fine. Not great but fine. But if we lose him and don't land Ohtani or any decent prospects, then this would be a train wreck because he's going to be solid.

It only sucks because we don't know the outcome right now. We just have to trust it will work out.

9 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Trading Jacob Pearson sucks. But it isn't the end of the world I suppose. If we end up with Ohtani, then it's worth it. If we come away with two solid prospect, it's fine. Not great but fine. But if we lose him and don't land Ohtani or any decent prospects, then this would be a train wreck because he's going to be solid.

It only sucks because we don't know the outcome right now. We just have to trust it will work out.

I agree. Not sure he will be any better than Adell, Jones or Marsh which in addition to hopefully having Trout around for at least the next 10 years doesn't make the blow as bad because theres literally no room for him unless hes moved to 1st.

The way I see all of this is.....This way!

Angels Traded away:

1. Jacob Pearson OF (Adell, Jones, Marsh are above him)

2. Justin Kelly RP (Eppy can find gold relievers elsewhere)

Angels Get

1. Jim Johnson ***EDIT***

2. 2.21 Million in International Bonus Pool Money

3. Angels receive Kevin Maitan SS/3B

4. Angels receive Livan Soto SS

5. Maybe, Ohtani?

6. Maybe, other former Braves player?

7. Maybe, another international player?

And Maybe still get Ohtani and or others in the international market!

2 players for 3-4 highly touted kids and maybe still get the SP is far above huge value in return and a better future! Since our INF minor league depth is hazy at best. And our Starters seem to drop like flies!

Solid return if it happens!

***Edited*** Forgot about Johnson! Thanks KrAbs! I also see your point but that $$$ is going into areas of depth and players in positions we are short in at the minor league level! And to start with we had around 300K in international $$$ which wouldn't have gotten us here... So, that money can be allocated to better resources. The future money on the International side to me doesn't matter yet as we are going after kids that are older and more developed than the future ones that will be getting that money.

But, also on the flip side.... If it wasn't for the Braves F* up and the possibility of Ohtani then we probably wouldn't be in this situation! So, everything has changed over the last 2 weeks - 3 weeks! And EPPY has seen an opportunity and has JUMPED for the Organization! I Like it! If it was previous GM's we would be waiting for them to get off Play Station...

3 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

The way I see all of this is.....This way!

Angels Traded away:

1. Jacob Pearson OF (Adell, Jones, Marsh are above him)

2. Justin Kelly RP (Eppy can find gold relievers elsewhere)

Angels Get

1. 2.21 Million in International Bonus Pool Money

2. Angels receive Kevin Maitan SS/3B

3. Angels receive Livan Soto SS

4. Maybe, Ohtani?

5. Maybe, other former Braves player?

6. Maybe, another international player?

And Maybe still get Ohtani and or others in the international market!

2 players for 3-4 highly touted kids and maybe still get the SP is far above huge value in return and a better future! Since or INF minor league depth is hazy at best. And our Starters seem to drop like flies!

Solid return if it happens!

That's not quite right though, because if you are going to include maitan and Soto, you have to include the international pool money from next year that we gave up. Though, also we got Jim Johnson on the side, so thats cool.

Also, to be fair, the last three things we got should probably only count as one number, as we will only likely do one of them. Still, I agree with your overal point here.

50 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

How much more ahead was Pearson to the next best prospect? 

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

How much more ahead was Pearson to the next best prospect? 

It wasn't be necessarily a case of being below or above anyone as much as it was about potential.

Pearson's upside was higher than everyone in the organization except Adell, Maitan, Jones and Marsh.

We had the depth to make the trade, but it still stings knowing you let a potential 20/20 player go for only a million.

This is just me making stuff up, but if I had to guess, this is the situation.

Seattle has more money to offer, Japanese ownership, Japanese subculture in the city and a history of success with past Japanese ball players. Their field is pitcher friendly, but also friendly for left handed power hitters. All of which Ohtani likes, except perhaps the lengthy history with other Japanese stars. As I understand, he wants to forge his own path.

The Angels have more money than others, less than Seattle, can offer Ohtani a chance to forge his own path, and a playing schedule that fits his needs. Their park is pitcher friendly, and he gets the best battery mate in baseball with Martin Maldonado, the best player in baseball in Mike Trout and the best defensive team in baseball to back him up. The Angels are LA adjacent and offer an easily accessible Japanese subculture and population.

My guess is Ohtani loved what he heard and saw from the Angels, but is having a hard time passing on just how good of a fit Seattle truly is and the fact that the Angels just couldn't offer him as much.

Minnesota entered the fold with international money that was going to go to waste and called the three teams (Mariners, Angels and Rangers) that could offer Ohtani more than 300k in hopes they could acquire some prospects for this money. The Rangers already have the most money to offer, and haven't viewed money as the deciding factor, so they passed. The Mariners and the Angels both saw a chance to strengthen their cases for Ohtani, and so they traded.

Seattle has no farm left under Dipoto and Minnesota was desperate for any semi-projectable they could get their hands on. The Angels face the Twins a much better prospect for the same amount of money, but because of their OF prospects (Adell, Jones, Marsh, Hermosillo, Lund, Hunter Jr), they could afford it.

The Mariners come away with the same strong case they had before, and the Angels come away being able to meet more if Ohtani's demands.