• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire more int'l money from twins for jacob pearson

ukyah

1 minute ago, WeatherWonk said:

So, if we get this guy, we are guaranteed to pay approximately 22 million PLUS we have to negotiate a salary with him? Or is the ~2 point 2 million in international money his actual salary? If so, how long is the contract for?

He is under the age of 25 so he can only sign for the minimum. 

1 minute ago, WeatherWonk said:

So, if we get this guy, we are guaranteed to pay approximately 22 million PLUS we have to negotiate a salary with him? Or is the ~2 point 2 million in international money his actual salary? If so, how long is the contract for?

The posting fee doesn't go to him it goes to the Japanese team. That's the 20. The signing bonus is his at 2.2 million or whatever. Then he's just like any rookie and will be paid league minimum or close to it when in the majors. 550k. No negotiations. Club sets his payroll for three years. Then he goes through arbitration for three more. 

Yeah, I get that the 20 mil doesnt go to him. But, man, this is a rather big gamble. Even if we trade him after 3 years, he cost us over 7 mil/year plus his salary.

I have to say that it seems like Japanese pitchers do really well for the first 2-3 years they are here and then the league figures them out and they often fall off a cliff. Nomo was great.......then gone. Darvis great, then injured and mediocre. Dice K, great for two years, then gone. Havent looked up Tanaka's numbers but he seems to have gone the same way.

Now, this guy has a lot fewer innings on his arm, so maybe it will be different. But, man, this is a rather big gamble.

All FA pitchers are, I guess, when it comes down to it.

Is this guy expected to make the 25 man roster out of ST, or is he expected to spend time in the minors?

9 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Is this guy expected to make the 25 man roster out of ST, or is he expected to spend time in the minors?

Wondering the same. Are we looking at this guy to fill out our current roster, or down the road? That might also play a role...and perhaps would make a "small market" wish more understandable.

I think the only part of this that concerns me is the Mariners acquiring even more money. There are only a few outcomes here, and someone's going to lose.

1. Jerry Dipoto is getting desperate and is willing to acquire any amount of international money and trade any prospects (a very Dipoto thing to do) he can to sweeten the offer.

2. Ohtani legitimately likes the Mariners and Dipoto is just getting more money to lock this deal in place.

3. Eppler is getting desperate and it just cost us Pearson who is a very intriguing bat. None of the prospects he can acquire at this point measure up to Pearson.

4. Eppler legitimately believes this extra million will finalize his deal with Ohtani.

5. The Twins were simply getting whatever they could get back for their excess money. We and the M's just happen to be there.

My experience tells me that Dipoto is a busy body and never stops moving, for better or worse. He felt 1 million is worth more than his Top catching prospect. He didn't know if it increases his chances, but it can't hurt. Meanwhile, Eppler is very purposeful in his moves. I'm guessing he legitimately feels this will be the difference between Ohtani and no Ohtani.

We'll find out who is right soon. 

36 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I think the only part of this that concerns me is the Mariners acquiring even more money. There are only a few outcomes here, and someone's going to lose.

1. Jerry Dipoto is getting desperate and is willing to acquire any amount of international money and trade any prospects (a very Dipoto thing to do) he can to sweeten the offer.

2. Ohtani legitimately likes the Mariners and Dipoto is just getting more money to lock this deal in place.

3. Eppler is getting desperate and it just cost us Pearson who is a very intriguing bat. None of the prospects he can acquire at this point measure up to Pearson.

4. Eppler legitimately believes this extra million will finalize his deal with Ohtani.

5. The Twins were simply getting whatever they could get back for their excess money. We and the M's just happen to be there.

My experience tells me that Dipoto is a busy body and never stops moving, for better or worse. He felt 1 million is worth more than his Top catching prospect. He didn't know if it increases his chances, but it can't hurt. Meanwhile, Eppler is very purposeful in his moves. I'm guessing he legitimately feels this will be the difference between Ohtani and no Ohtani.

We'll find out who is right soon. 

You really think Pearson has more upside than Jelfry Marte?  I thought Marte was the 2nd highest rated international player this year?  

19 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

If the Angels don't get Ohtani, this will look very bad. 

why?  A bit early to call it, but I wasn't impressed by Pearson.  A mil on the Intl market should get a similar if not better prospect.  Granted, they just gave Pearson a mil in draft bonus so you lose about a million bucs if you don't get Ohtani.  Less than 0.5% of your operating budget for the year.  

Here's my take on this.  Ohtani indicates he's leaning toward the Halos but it's not by much.  The M's go out and try to sweeten the pot by getting him more hard cash up front.  Eppler makes his counter move and puts us back as the favorite.  I think Eppler would have acquired more intl money if he thought it would help.  

It also tells me that we're not interested in Dee Gordon.  That would have been a no brainer.  We take on Dee's contract.  Throw in Pearson and maybe another prospect or two from the bottom of our 30 and grab a couple mill in intl money.  

Mentioned it before but an extra mil is an extra mil.  People said the money didn't matter to Ohtani because he'll make it up in endorsements and futures, but he basically picked his location and then said 'dance monkey dance'.  This kid is guaranteed nothing.  If he sucks his first year, those endorsements go away.   That potential 9 figure contract goes away.  What if he gets hurt?  same thing.  

Get him as much money as you can up front if your team is one of the coin sides.  

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

Sounds good, but I'm not sure why the same logic doesn't apply to the Mariners as well. I've got a twinge of optimism, and to be honest my gut has told me that we're going to get Ohtani, but I'm still very doubtful.

because Eppler just called Dipoto's hand after checking  a flopped straight.  

that's right Jerry.  the ace didn't help.   

some of you guys have no chill. 

eppler's doing everything that he can to get the player. ultimately, ohtani is the one that will decide and eppler has little control over that. 

losing doesn't make trying a mistake, trying badly does.

hopefully, we get him. eppler has done everything he can to land the fish.

btw, this isn't unexpected right?  

He's a 200 mil player that we have a chance to acquire for 6 years at the price of about 75mil only if he plays like a rock star.  Of course you trade a couple of fringe top 30 guys from your system.   Worst case you've got some extra intl money to spend.  

2 minutes ago, ThomasSutpen said:

Man it's gotta suck to be an A's fan. The roster is a wreck, their new stadium location just got denied, and three of the seven Ohtani finalists are in the AL West. But I guess they got a pretty good return on Ryon Healy so there's that.

They got their big splash Yusmeiro Petit.

4 hours ago, ThomasSutpen said:

I hadn't realized that beyond the Angels, only the Mariners and Rangers can spend beyond 300K. The other four finalists are capped at that. You have to think that's  a pretty big factor when it comes down to it, endorsements or not.

And NL teams have a disadvantage because Ohtani did not hit on days when he pitched in Japan. Probably not a deal breaker, but NL teams aren't quite as flexible in what they can offer.

6 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Even if Pearson is a better prospect than Severino, Bae, Marte, etc., which I don't think is an absolute truth, the fact that we could sign multiple guys if we miss out on Ohtani is worth the risk.

Also, the fact that most of the top int'l prospects remaining are infielders, where we're thin, is worth it. As an outfielder, Pearson was buried a bit and I'm fine 'trading' him for 1-3 other prospects who are infielders or arms, even if they're a grade or two lower than him.

Still feeling good about Ohtani though.