• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire more int'l money from twins for jacob pearson

ukyah

6 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Not sure I like this move unless there is an agreement with Japanese babe ruth. I don't want to let go of prospects. 

Even if we miss out on Ohtani there are several Braves prospects that aren't OFs, so any would add to our ranks nicely. Pearson was redundant as an OF.

With Maitan and Soto here, the remaining Braves prospects may be more inclined to sign here anyways.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Even if we miss out on Ohtani there are several Braves prospects that aren't OFs, so any would add to our ranks nicely. Pearson was redundant as an OF.

With Maitan and Soto here, the remaining Braves prospects may be more inclined to sign here anyways.

Fair point.  I'll reserve judgment until off-season is done.  

19 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Wow wow wow 

gotta believe this is pretty significant.  Don’t see Eppler giving up prospects unless he perceives a really good chance to make the Otani thing happen.

Possibly a reaction to Mariners making same deal with Twins for $1M in International $'s but they only gave up their #10 prospect.

I'll say this again, Billy Eppler isn't like Dipoto. He doesn't make moves simply to make moves.

Eppler would not make this trade without knowing something or having a plan for it. 

My guess is Ohtani's side likes what they saw in the Angels, and are asking for more money before finalizing it. The Angels have obliged.

4 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I'll say this again, Billy Eppler isn't like Dipoto. He doesn't make moves simply to make moves.

Eppler would not make this trade without knowing something or having a plan for it. 

My guess is Ohtani's side likes what they saw in the Angels, and are asking for more money before finalizing it. The Angels have obliged.

I sure hope this is what it is.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I sure hope this is what it is.  

I know I speculated the opposite yesterday, but to continue the trend, Scotty has got to be in the neighborhood on this one. Why else get more money unless Ohtani was strongly considering us? Otherwise we really don't need this much international money.

6 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I know I speculated the opposite yesterday, but to continue the trend, Scotty has got to be in the neighborhood on this one. Why else get more money unless Ohtani was strongly considering us? Otherwise we really don't need this much international money.

I agree that it’s probable, I’m hoping we close the deal.  

13 minutes ago, elbooboo said:

I wonder if the Angels don't sign Ohtani if they could use this year's international bonus for Kevin Maitan, since they now have more than the $2.2 million he signed for.  It would be great to Ohtani but preserving next year's bonus pool isn't the worst fallback.

Good point. That said, giving up Pearson is a steep price. He was our third round pick and we just spent $1m on him. Hard for me to imagine the team trading him just to allow them to sign another guy next year. This move is obviously to be able to offer a little more money to Ohtani, imo.

I find it extremely odd that both the Angels and Mariners make trades, with the same team literally within the same hour, for extra cash towards this.  It really sounds like someone is getting played here and I just hope it isn't us because it would suck to get played for more money AND lose to Dipoto in all of this.

2 minutes ago, Chimi said:

I find it extremely odd that both the Angels and Mariners make trades, with the same team literally within the same hour, for extra cash towards this.  It really sounds like someone is getting played here and I just hope it isn't us because it would suck to get played for more money AND lose to Dipoto in all of this.

I'm sure there's a backup plan of sorts.  I'm guessing if we don't sign Ohtani, we will sign some other international prospects with the money we just acquired.  

2 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

The Angels and Mariners BOTH got $1 million in "Ohtani money" from the Twinkies on Wednesday. The M's have slightly more cash available, but they also have a damp, chilly and sometimes dark place with a roof in which to play. And Puget Sound's beach is much rockier than Huntington's.

Yeah, but there's way better sushi up there. All kinds of seafood are better up there. 

1 minute ago, WeatherWonk said:

So, if we get this guy, we are guaranteed to pay approximately 22 million PLUS we have to negotiate a salary with him? Or is the ~2 point 2 million in international money his actual salary? If so, how long is the contract for?

He would be treated like a normal rookie, under club control for six years.  He’d get that bonus and then approximately $550k a year.