• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani??

Angels#1Fan

It looks like Shohei Ohtani is going to be posted by the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters.

I don't know what anyone here thinks, but I'd like to see the Angels make a run at Ohtani.

If he is anywhere near as good as it seems he'd be a very exciting and valuable player to have in an Angel uniform.

Thoughts anyone?

Well it's not like he's having to make 100 full strength throws from RF in a game. 

How many times does one particular outfielder have to make a full strength throw in a game? A handful? Sometimes zero?

I don't see that being an issue. Especially for a pitcher that can hit 100 on the gun.

1 hour ago, ThomasSutpen said:

If he comes to the AL, it will be to a team willing to give him DH at-bats. The Angels have a HALL OF FAMER locked up at DH for the next five years - a player fans travel from far and wide to watch play. Zero chance.

your point, that they don't have the at bats for ohtani, is valid. the rest is poppycock. nobody is coming from NEAR, much less far and wide to watch pujols play. he's a HOF'er, for sure, but it's as a cardinal. he's done nothing as an angel.

that's my 2nd negative pujols comment in about 24 hours, so i think i'll lay off that subject for awhile.

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Use him like college baseball uses closers that can hit.  He plays right field, then if they need him to close he comes in and pitches the 9th inning.  Or even use him to get the occasional hitter out and then put him back in the outfield after he gets that out.

Yep, I remember Mark Kotsay being that for the 1995 CWS champs at CS Fullerton.

It's hard to imagine that he'd join the halos.  

He's not gonna get paid top dollar, so all teams are essentially in play.  Which means that when he says he wants to win, he may actually mean it.  He's supposedly a 'small town' sort of guy but who knows how much that plays into it.  My guess is not much.  i think he has made it clear that he wants to be a two way player.  But by some accounts, his pitching as a starter has more upside.  

So how do you lure him in?    

AL teams are the most obvious. You would need to have the DH available.  

Not sure he'd be willing to go to the pen.  Probably wants to be a starter.  

Right now, we don't have DH at bats for him.  We don't have a spot in the OF available, and we are kinda fringe in terms of a winning team.  

He's gonna sign with a team like the Astros

14 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

It's hard to imagine that he'd join the halos.  

He's not gonna get paid top dollar, so all teams are essentially in play.  Which means that when he says he wants to win, he may actually mean it.  He's supposedly a 'small town' sort of guy but who knows how much that plays into it.  My guess is not much.  i think he has made it clear that he wants to be a two way player.  But by some accounts, his pitching as a starter has more upside.  

So how do you lure him in?    

AL teams are the most obvious. You would need to have the DH available.  

Not sure he'd be willing to go to the pen.  Probably wants to be a starter.  

Right now, we don't have DH at bats for him.  We don't have a spot in the OF available, and we are kinda fringe in terms of a winning team.  

He's gonna sign with a team like the Astros

I agree on pretty much everything you have written. I don't see him as an Angel, but one trade can change everything.

3 hours ago, ettin said:

Although I personally believe the Angels are not in his Top 5 landing spots, I don't see why he couldn't play 1B for us in addition to being a starting pitcher too.

He would be a great addition but I think the team that gets him will be an AL team that will obviously use him as a starting pitcher but purposely limit him to only a DH role on his non pitching days to protect him. 

I don't have any idea what the chances are of Ohtani becoming an Angel are, but I'm looking at him from not only his playing ability but his overall appeal from a fans point of view. The guy would be a huge draw..HUGE,  and he'd certainly help the team on the field.

The notion that he'd be too gassed to throw from right field is nonsense. By all accounts Babe Ruth had no problems in that area and I doubt that Ohtani would either.

As far as finding a place for him to play I don't see that as a problem either. For a potential talent like that you make room for him!

Can the Angels lure Ohtani into coming to Anaheim? I don't know, but the more I think about it the more I'd like to see him in an Angel uniform.