• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani??

Angels#1Fan

I think Anaheim is a place that Otani would feel comfortable, but I don’t see the Angels making much of an attempt to get him. I don’t understand why they won’t, but I see it highly unlikely due to their track record of not doing much in the international market. 

44 minutes ago, jordan111280 said:

I think Anaheim is a place that Otani would feel comfortable, but I don’t see the Angels making much of an attempt to get him. I don’t understand why they won’t, but I see it highly unlikely due to their track record of not doing much in the international market. 

Why? 

I think we have as much of a chance to sign ohtani as yankees, Texas and the twins. Due to two reasons.

1. Ca has a heavily asian population.

2. He can make more money thru endorsements, being in a heavily asian population will help more. 

At  this point I don't think he really  cares about the signing bonus after leaving a 200 mil contract behind. Especially if he can make more thru endorsements. 

I can already see him in one of those subway/ shampoo commercials.

35 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I think we have as much of a chance to sign ohtani as yankees, Texas and the twins. Due to two reasons.

1. Ca has a heavily asian population.

2. He can make more money thru endorsements, being in a heavily asian population will help more. 

At  this point I don't think he really  cares about the signing bonus after leaving a 200 mil contract behind. Especially if he can make more thru endorsements. 

I can already see him in one of those subway/ shampoo commercials.

I read on mlbtraderumors from Twitter say something obvious that I hadn’t thought of and I don’t think was brought up anywhere else. But when Otani signs somewhere it’ll be a minor league deal. And then any team can extend him at any time. Then he will get his million$.   But the sticking point is that a major league contract cannot be part of the negotiations of signing initially with a team. Hopefully I made sense of this.  

1 hour ago, jordan111280 said:

I read on mlbtraderumors from Twitter say something obvious that I hadn’t thought of and I don’t think was brought up anywhere else. But when Otani signs somewhere it’ll be a minor league deal. And then any team can extend him at any time. Then he will get his million$.   But the sticking point is that a major league contract cannot be part of the negotiations of signing initially with a team. Hopefully I made sense of this.  

It's not merely a sticking point, it's a rule, so he won't be getting his hundreds of millions for years. 

I think he's stupid for coming over right now. 

Ohtani or Otani, he can play a little OF, DH, and pitch for the Angels. If he's a good enough hitter. 

Pujols can play 1st a bit when Otani DH's and Calhoun can play 1st if they let him play the OF. 

It all depends on what his offense looks like. 

He is more valuable as a pitcher however 

3 hours ago, Lou said:

It's not merely a sticking point, it's a rule, so he won't be getting his hundreds of millions for years. 

I think he's stupid for coming over right now. 

Some people aren’t driven by money. Weaver comes to mind. He just wants to play with the big boys. He will make his millions pretty quickly.  

18 hours ago, Dochalo said:

It's a risk, but it could end up getting him even more money in the long run.  

How? Let's do the math.

OPTION 1: If he waits 2 yrs, he could arguably sign a contract worth $200M, with no restriction on a signing bonus. Plus, he made $2.4M ($US) last year playing in Japan, so even without having an increase in salary he'd make about $5M for the 2 years. He could become a FA again before he's out from under a MLB team's control if he chooses . . . 

OPTION 2: If he comes over now, over the next two years he'll make just over a million dollars, with a signing bonus of no more than $3.53M and will still be under club control for another 4 years. 

Also, what if he doesn't have the success everyone is assuming he'll have here?  If that happens, he's thrown away a couple hundred million dollars.

That's mucho yen. 

Edited by Lou

NEW YORK -- Major league teams were given homework this weekend by Shohei Ohtani.

The agent for the star pitcher and outfielder asked for written explanations in English and Japanese on how Ohtani would fit into each organization intending to bid and what makes the team attractive, according to details obtained by The Associated Press.

Well Disneyland duh...

On 11/12/2017 at 11:54 AM, Calzone said:

He’s pretty versatile but I think he will be joining the AL and pitch in a normal rotation but will more likely DH on his non pitching days as a protective measure. He could also serve as a 4th outfielder as needed. 

Yeah, we could use a guy like that. 

I just don't see the value in that. He will need time off before and after a start (this is how he's been used in Japan), so you are looking at giving him half of your DH at bats at most. Assuming he gets those he'll need to hit like a corner outfielder or first basemen to really justify those at bats. If he really does hit like a corner outfielder he will need to be a really good pitcher to give up the other half of at bats to fit in his pitching.

Also in the AL he isn't going to get to bat when he pitches. You then need to ask, at his age, whether or not he's getting enough at bats to mature and develop as a hitter.

To me he is probably just another Madison Bumgarner. Good, yes, but not good enough to stick him in the outfield or plug him in at DH when he's not on the mound.

2 hours ago, Calzone said:

NEW YORK -- Major league teams were given homework this weekend by Shohei Ohtani.

The agent for the star pitcher and outfielder asked for written explanations in English and Japanese on how Ohtani would fit into each organization intending to bid and what makes the team attractive, according to details obtained by The Associated Press.

Well Disneyland duh...

Disneyrand