• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Roy Halladay's Plane in an Accident

m0nkey

20 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

RIP, Roy. So sad. 

To this day I won't step foot in a small plane ever again. Worst experience of my life was in one of those, happy to be alive. No helicopters either as a result. 

You and me both brutha.  Fuck that noise.  I refused to get on a sea plane for this thing in Alaska when I was up there.  I was the only one, I hung out in this shitty 100 person town for 6 hours by myself before getting in one those nightmares.  Everyone thought I was crazy.  100% would make the same decision again. 

Halladay was a favorite of mine.  Great, great pitcher.  This is terrible news for his family and friends.  God speed Doc.

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

You and me both brutha.  Fuck that noise.  I refused to get on a sea plane for this thing in Alaska when I was up there.  I was the only one, I hung out in this shitty 100 person town for 6 hours by myself before getting in one those nightmares.  Everyone thought I was crazy.  100% would make the same decision again. 

Yeah man. Almost needed to have a surgeon board the small aircraft to detach my asshole from the seat cushion. It bit a hole through my pants and went chomping until it could latch on to something. 

2 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

No kidding.

I was always a huge fan of the guy since toronto. Absolute beast of a pitcher, seemed a pretty likeable guy, too.

RIP

Looking at his career stats, he didn't really have the longevity that a lot of HoF voters look for (they tend to be really tough on pitchers for some reason). I think he might've ran into some resistance getting in at first. His death just about cements his induction.

Star pitcher Roy Halladay died at age 40 on Tuesday when a plane he was piloting crashed into the Gulf of Mexico.

The sports world has been no stranger to aviation tragedies. Teams and athletic programs from Manchester United(1958) to Marshall Football (1970) to Oklahoma State basketball (2001) have endured great tragedy while traveling to and from games.

The list of athletes perishing in a plane crash — away from the requirements of their athletic schedule — is also sadly a long one and it’s one that Halladay now joins.

Here are a few of the most notable plane crash deaths involving athletes:

Knute Rockne (March 31, 1931) — The legendary Notre Dame football coach and seven others died after his plane crashed into a wheat field in Kansas. Rockne was only 43 and had been heading to California to participate in the filming of a movie entitled “The Spirit of Notre Dame.”

Ken Hubbs (Feb 15. 1964) — The Chicago Cubs second baseman won NL rookie of the year in 1962. He was killed just over a year later at age 22 after the plane he was piloting crashed in Utah. It was said that Hubbs was trying to overcome a fear of flying by taking flying lessons.

Rocky Marciano (Aug. 31, 1969) — The former heavyweight champion and two others were killed in Newton, Iowa after their Cessna hit a tree two miles short of the runway.  The NTSB concluded the pilot’s inexperience was a factor. Marciano would’ve turned 46 the next day.

Roberto Clemente (Dec. 31, 1972) —  The Pittsburgh Pirates star and future Hall of Famer was bringing aid to earthquake victims in Nicaragua when his plane went down into the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of his native Puerto Rico. He was 38 years old.

Thurman Munson (Aug. 2, 1979) — The catcher and soul of the late ’70s Yankee dynasty was killed after practicing landing his Cessna plane on an offday in Ohio. He was a perennial All-Star and won the AL MVP in 1976.

Alan Kulwicki (April 1, 1993) — Kulwicki was the reigning Winston Cup champion when his plane went down in Tennessee the week of the race in Bristol. He was 39.

Brook Berringer (April 18, 1996) — The Nebraska quarterback died at 22 when the plane he was piloting crashed in Raymond, Nebraska. Berringer was a NFL prospect and died just two days before the draft.

Rodney Culver (May 11, 1996) — The former Notre Dame running back and his wife Karen were among the 110 people who died when ValuJet Flight 592 crashed into the Florida Everglades. Culver, who played for the Colts and Chargers over four NFL season, was only 26 and left two young daughters behind.

Payne Stewart (Oct. 25, 1999) —  Stewart and five others were killed after the cabin of his Learjet lost pressure, sending the plane off course to South Dakota. Stewart, 42, was coming off a 1999 season that couldn’t have gone much better. Not only did he win the U.S. Open at Pinehurst, but he was also part of the 1999 U.S. Ryder Cup team that famously rallied to win at Brookline.

Cory Lidle (Oct. 11, 2006) — The Yankees pitcher was only 34 when he crashed his personal plane into an apartment building in New York City just days after the Yankees were eliminated from the ALDS. Halladay and Lidle were teammates on the Blue Jays.

Roberto Clemente died in a plane crash on Dec. 31, 1972.

I have a friend who is a pilot and we were in a rented Cessna one afternoon and he kept telling me to watch for other small planes, out of no where a small flew in front of our plane not more than 30' away and I told him to look out his side window and he said that's is a near miss and don't tell my wife.

Scary to say the least.

RIP Roy, you had a great career over a span of 16 seasons and have numbers that are Hall of Fame worthy. Tonight you are an angel up there on that heavenly baseball field facing the likes of Gehrig, Ruth, Clemente, Mantle and all the other greats that have passed throughout the years. My condolences to the family and friends of Roy, God bless.

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I have a friend who is a pilot and we were in a rented Cessna one afternoon and he kept telling me to watch for other small planes, out of no where a small flew in front of our plane not more than 30' away and I told him to look out his side window and he said that's is a near miss and don't tell my wife.

Scary to say the least.

Ive had similar, not that close though. Ive done some flights in small planes, and helicopters. All the instructors and pilots ive flown with always stressed head on a swivel for that very reason. Seems odd if youve never done it.