• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Roy Halladay's Plane in an Accident

m0nkey

I've been to so many baseball games in my life but attending Doc's playoff no-hitter against the Reds, who had the most prolific offense in the NL that season by the way, is #1. The craziest thing is that even just after about the 4th inning it felt inevitable because the man was a machine. The stadium was cheering as he threw that last pitch yet went totally and completely silent as a dribbler landed in front of Carlos Ruiz, really tough play and throw but, he made it and it was bedlam. 

He was one of the absolute greats. RIP

Halladay was one of the only guys that come to mind (and randy johnson) who owned the angels, but i always made it a point to catch those games and wasnt mad about it. You want the angels to win, but you had to admire a pitcher who was so dominant.

Others have been as successful (guys like pedro, clemons, etc), just werent as "cool" to me (though pedro was absolutely filthy back in the day).

Seemed like a really good guy off the field, too. 

Sad story. Finally retired, live out your kid dream of becoming a pilot (aside from your mlb dream), wife and a family started, and gone in an instant, doing the thing you always wanted to.

10 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Ya I'd definitely agree with that. If he was using it how it was meant to be used then I would say showboating is out of the question. That actually may be the grounds by which the company gets sued.

As far as the flipping goes, I thought the same thing which makes it all the more likely that he was just knocked out and ended up drowning rather than dying on impact. Depending on the circumstances they might have been able to save his life instead of just taking a video of it.

I wonder if a suit will be filed against the videographer who didn't make an attempt to help.

6 hours ago, yk9001 said:

My son is graduating with an aerospace engineering degree this spring, and my wife has mentioned the idea of contributing to him getting his pilot's license as a graduation gift.  I have had my misgivings from the start (he doesnt' want to be a commercial pilot).

In all honesty, its really not as dangerous as some are believing. Theres a major airport near where i work, and a small one. Plus helicopters flying over pretty regularly. Ive never been to an aircraft crash, but go to a vehicle crash hourly while at work.

Anything is possible, but your son is far more likely to have something bad happen to him driving to the flight school tban actually flying.

6 hours ago, yk9001 said:

My son is graduating with an aerospace engineering degree this spring, and my wife has mentioned the idea of contributing to him getting his pilot's license as a graduation gift.  I have had my misgivings from the start (he doesnt' want to be a commercial pilot).

in all seriousness, fear is the mind killer. if your son is passionate about it, then support him in any way you can. flying is not as dangerous as it's being made out to be in this thread. it is, however, a very serious responsibility and it lends itself to certain personality types. there are pilots i know that i would never get in a plane with them, and i tell them as much. not saying anything about halladay, i didn't know the man, although it does seem like this plane might have some engineering issues, if what i'm reading here is accurate.

edit: or what scout said.

• 2 years later...
10 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Is this a new article? I thought that news came out a while back (or am i crazy?)

I remember hearing awhile back he had drug issues. And that witnesses said he was flying like a nutjob before he crashed.

Still sad as hell, because I liked the guy. But.... if you were on morphine, doing donuts on the freeway....

On 11/8/2017 at 12:22 PM, ten ocho recon scout said:

One thing id caution against in terms of saying he was "showboating" is that (just for the sake of argument) is that he may have been practicing landings (being that its a seaplane, from what ive read).

Narrator voice:

He was showboating.

On 11/8/2017 at 11:20 AM, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah, it's never recommended to drink heavily with Xanax. I usually have 2-3 on the plane until I pass out. But only for long flights. 

For shorter flights I just stick to drinks. 

I like you more and more every day, Chuck