• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Valbuena

gurn67

After today's, should have been a game winning home run, he now has 11 HR's and 27 RBI's in 32 games since the All-Star break. He has also passed Trout for the team lead in OPS since the break .979 to .977

Been a tough season for the guy with the injury and huge struggles at the plate when he came back. Just thought I'd give him a little love.

8 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

Higher OPS doesn't mean that a guy is better than the other guy with a lower OPS. Trout's getting on base way more than Valbuena so his OPS is more valuable. 

Wrong.  Valbuena makes up for the lower OBP with higher slugging.  He's hitting home runs which is automatic runs.  Trout is walking in front of pujols...

so so actually valbuenas have been more valuable. 

45 minutes ago, thebloob said:

Wrong.  Valbuena makes up for the lower OBP with higher slugging.  He's hitting home runs which is automatic runs.  Trout is walking in front of pujols...

so so actually valbuenas have been more valuable. 

False. If you just don't take into consideration of teammates, Trout's OPS is way are valuable than Valbuena. You're trying to give your team as much chance as possible to score runs when you get on base. Pujols has taken advantage of his oppurtunites to drive in runs this season due to the people getting in front of him overall this season. He hasn't lately though, especially tonight. 

46 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

False. If you just don't take into consideration of teammates, Trout's OPS is way are valuable than Valbuena. You're trying to give your team as much chance as possible to score runs when you get on base. Pujols has taken advantage of his oppurtunites to drive in runs this season due to the people getting in front of him overall this season. He hasn't lately though, especially tonight. 

So an OPS that is more power driven that helps drive in those runners is somehow less valuable? 

You guys are fucking weird. Valbuena has been great since the ASB. At this point he should be hitting behind Trout.

54 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

except you do because it's a team sport.

38 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

So an OPS that is more power driven that helps drive in those runners is somehow less valuable? 

You guys are fucking weird. Valbuena has been great since the ASB. At this point he should be hitting behind Trout.

It's just a math thing. Slugging percentage is on a 0-4 scale while on base percentage is on a 0-1 scale. In generic OPS, guys with higher slugging vs on base will be over valued.

21 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Where are you getting this "more valuable" shit? Literally nobody said Valbuena has been "more valuable" than Trout. 

Well, since the ASB, he has been more valuable than Trout with the bat. Well,  a couple of people who responded to this thread think so. He has still been great since the ASB though. Not taking anything away from what he has done for quite some time. If he can even come close to hitting like for the Astros last year for the rest of this year and continue it for the next, Eason, the contract that he signed for would be a steal.

2 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

But platoons don't work!

Notably all of Luis' damage has come against RHP. He has like 7 PA's against LHP and has a horrid wRC+ against them (probably due more to the fact they are platooning him).

There isn't a number I can find that has Valbuena being more valuable than Trout in the second half.  Both Valbuena and Cron have been on par offensively with a wRC+ of about 150.  Trout's wRC+ in the second half is 171.   Albert's wRC+ in the second half is 60.  Kole at 124, Revere at 103.  Maldonado has to be exhausted.  his second half wRC+ is 35.  Maybin has been terrible in the 2nd half at 47.  

25 minutes ago, ettin said:

Notably all of Luis' damage has come against RHP. He has like 7 PA's against LHP and has a horrid wRC+ against them (probably due more to the fact they are platooning him).

In 30 PA's he's .120/.200/.280/.480 vs lefties. Over his career he's slightly better than 2017 Pujols

I'll never understand the Maldonado thing. Dude is elite behind the plate but he's clearly out of gas. How do they not see that? Perez is solid behind the plate and has a decent bat. Graterol is a nice backup. Utilize these guys. If Maldy had 100 starts before this year then I'd understand upping him to 130+. But he has like 80!! 

Meanwhile guys like Napoli had to sit after night games so he could rest. It's inconsistent is what pisses me off

2 hours ago, OregonLAA said:

I'll never understand the Maldonado thing. Dude is elite behind the plate but he's clearly out of gas. How do they not see that? Perez is solid behind the plate and has a decent bat. Graterol is a nice backup. Utilize these guys. If Maldy had 100 starts before this year then I'd understand upping him to 130+. But he has like 80!! 

Meanwhile guys like Napoli had to sit after night games so he could rest. It's inconsistent is what pisses me off

If Napoli played D like Maldonado he would have stayed and gotten far more playing time.  

7 hours ago, OregonLAA said:

Scioscia has admitted Maldonado has lost it at the plate because of how much he's caught. He says as long as his defense is good, he'll keep playing. Basically he's willing to give up the spot offensively. 

Pitchers also love Maldonado, btw.

9 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Pujols is getting paid 25 million.

Pujols is the most overpaid player in baseball today, I think we all know that....but Valbuena is getting paid 8 million and hitting .208......I don't think that is close to being worth 8 million a year....

37 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

What is Valbuena hitting since the ASB though?   Has to be at least in the .260s, and the OBP has to be at least in the .360s.

The real question should be, why is Valbuena not hitting before Pujols against lefties? 

Valbuena hit .237 in July and is at .237 in August, right at his career norms......he does have some power and that is why the OPS is impressive since the break....I guess I'm ok if they use him at 3b next year, since he's owed 8 million, but if that's the plan, I'd try and find a productive 1bman....I know that's easier said than done....

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/29246/luis-valbuena