• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Could a significant trade be in the works?

Chuck

48 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

So as of now, Stanton is owed either 3+ years/$80 million (opt out after 2020), or 10+ years/$298 million (including $10 million buyout for age 38 season).  

For opt outs, how does the AAV get calculated?   One value based on before the opt out ($25.7 million AAV), and then based on after that if staying ($29.7 million AAV)?   Or based on entire contract ($29.8 million AAV for all 10 seasons)? 

AAV is established when the contract is signed. In this case his total contract value is $325M over 13 years which is 325000000/13 = $25M per year over those 13 seasons. If he opts-out his contract is voided.

As a side note any player option year is counted towards AAV as well. Also signing bonuses are added to the total contract value and spread out over the length of the contract. For instance if the Marlins had given Stanton a $13M signing bonus it would have been $338M over 13 years = $26M AAV. Team options are not added, they are stand-alone "one-year" contracts and are not added to the total value and contract length. So if a team option is worth $10M in 2020, if the team picks that option up they add $10M to AAV for that season only.

33 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

With Jones doing what he's being doing lately I think I'd rather see Adell go rather than Jones if one had to be sent to acquire Stanton

Honestly it may fit better with our ability to replace Calhoun after 2019 or 2020 based on whether we pick up his option. Adell a bit further away than Jones. Hate to give up either but one of them I expect will go in trade soon.

9 minutes ago, floplag said:

Im taking on the position of expecting nothing, that way i wont be disappointed.  I really doubt they are even talking to anyone at this point.  

I think they might make a trade to take on some money, like Granderson or Bruce....but not if it puts us over the luxury tax....Brandon Phillips would be nice....

35 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I think they might make a trade to take on some money, like Granderson or Bruce....but not if it puts us over the luxury tax....Brandon Phillips would be nice....

Careful, youre starting to sound like me.  I thought this up till recently but im not getting caught by it again.  Maybe if I expect nothing they might surprise me.   Then again they might trade another reliever, that i could see them doing, lol  

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Pretty sure they changed the rules bc of that trade --- to avoid having a guy wait around til a year after his draft date.

Yup.  Dansby Swanson is the only guy that comes to mind that was traded the same calendar year he was drafted

10 hours ago, Billy_Ball said:

The Foundations say absolutely not.  No major trade.

I'd be hesitant to make a major trade until we see if Tropeano, Skaggs, Richards, and Heaney can come all the way back from their injuries.  What can you do with Giancarlo Stanton without a good pitching staff?

The Angels play hard and grind out some good wins, then they turn around and lose 2 out of 3.

15 minutes ago, California Cajun said:

I'd be hesitant to make a major trade until we see if Tropeano, Skaggs, Richards, and Heaney can come all the way back from their injuries.  What can you do with Giancarlo Stanton without a good pitching staff?

The Angels play hard and grind out some good wins, then they turn around and lose 2 out of 3.

Well with Stanton you might not lose 2 out of 3.  We lost 3-0 last night and we had more baserunners than the team that beat us.  Perhaps we could have cashed in on some of them with him in the line up.  Either as the guy that drives them in or the guy hitting in front of him being challenged with more fast balls.  

All these season over fools are awesome.  Sure they may be right, but if that is the case then the season has been over every time we are a game out of the playoff picture.  We are .5 games out of the wild card.  It is what they do I guess.  I have no idea if the season is over, my guess is they will eventually fall out of the race, but not because of anything that happened against Texas and more to do with the lack of overall depth this team has.  We are a normal series from Trout away from splitting or going 3-1.  

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

All these season over fools are awesome.  Sure they may be right, but if that is the case then the season has been over every time we are a game out of the playoff picture.  We are .5 games out of the wild card.  It is what they do I guess.  I have no idea if the season is over, my guess is they will eventually fall out of the race, but not because of anything that happened against Texas and more to do with the lack of overall depth this team has.  We are a normal series from Trout away from splitting or going 3-1.  

I dont think the Angels have a lack of depth.  I think it is the opposite.  The starting players are just too mediocre (outside of Trout and Simmons).

You can be twelve deep at every position and it isn't going to help if the starting players are not good enough.

Justin Upton scares the living poop out of me to be honest.  This looks amazingly like a man motivated by a contract year that wants to get paid.  Not that there is anything wrong with that per se, but it suggests that like so many other before him once that happens the motivation will pass. 

17 minutes ago, floplag said:

Justin Upton scares the living poop out of me to be honest.  This looks amazingly like a man motivated by a contract year that wants to get paid.  Not that there is anything wrong with that per se, but it suggests that like so many other before him once that happens the motivation will pass. 

So then is the same true for Cespedes who had amazing years the last two years, contract year and opt out year, then is having a year that isn't on par with the last two years?  Does that mean he was a contract player?  Just wondering...