• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Could a significant trade be in the works?

Chuck

@totdprods and I have noticed that the Angels have pulled some of their top prospects out of games recently and none have been related to reported injuries.  

Adell, Marsh, Thaiss, Ward (red hot in Double-A) and Jones did not see any action last night, (Adell, Thaiss & Ward for the past two games). 

It could be a coincidence, but maybe not. 

I wonder if a possible HUGE deal could be in the works for the likes of Verlander, Stanton or Cespedes. 

I'm not sure I'd want to kick in many prospects for Verlander since he's older and owed a grip of money.  If its mostly the Angels taking on all the salary and we send them some middling prospects in A+/AA?  Fine, but I wouldn't give up any of the dudes mentioned.

Same with Cespedes to a certain extent...he'll be making close to $90 mil through 2020 and is basically a 2 WAR player.  Hope this isn't case.

Stanton though, would be game changer for the franchise.  I could give up Thaiss, Ward, and one of Marsh, Jones or Adell if we are taking on all salary 

1 minute ago, mulwin444 said:

I'm not sure I'd want to kick in many prospects for Verlander since he's older and owed a grip of money.  If its mostly the Angels taking on all the salary and we send them some middling prospects in A+/AA?  Fine, but I wouldn't give up any of the dudes mentioned.

Same with Cespedes to a certain extent...he'll be making close to $90 mil through 2020 and is basically a 2 WAR player.  Hope this isn't case.

Stanton though, would be game changer for the franchise.  I could give up Thaiss, Ward, and one of Marsh, Jones or Adell if we are taking on all salary 

Verlander's opt-out (if he's traded he earns an opt-out) is a huge wrinkle in any deal - I haven't even really been able to wrap my head around how it affects any potential deal. It probably isn't something anyone outside of the GMs/Verlander really knows so hard for any fan or writer to really come up with a scenario. 

Have any other major Marlins players cleared waivers? or any Halos? I still only think Stanton is slightly realistic if there's additional salary/contracts being exchanged. 

18 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

@totdprods and I have noticed that the Angels have pulled some of their top prospects out of games recently and none have been related to reported injuries.  

Adell, Marsh, Thaiss, Ward (red hot in Double-A) and Jones did not see any action last night, (Adell, Thaiss & Ward for the past two games). 

It could be a coincidence, but maybe not. 

I wonder if a possible HUGE deal could be in the works for the likes of Verlander, Stanton or Cespedes. 

Interesting Chuck! Has Adell been playing full-time since he signed? Maybe, he just needed a few days off. Maybe, a few are just getting some time off? 

Another question? Why would we trade 2 of our last couple #1 Draft pick Catchers..... ;)   I guess we could Draft another next year..... ;)

Just now, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Interesting Chuck! Has Adell been playing full-time since he signed? Maybe, he just needed a few days off. Maybe, a few are just getting some time off? 

Another question? Why would we trade 2 of our last couple #1 Draft pick Catchers..... ;)

I don't know Slappy.. I mean the minor league season is over for most of our affiliates in 10 days, unless they're going to the playoffs. But even then their season ends soon and they'll have the entire offseason to rest. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

I don't know Slappy.. I mean the minor league season is over for most of our affiliates in 10 days, unless they're going to the playoffs. But even then their season ends soon and they'll have the entire offseason to rest. 

Unless, they go to AZ Fall League or Foreign leagues?.... AZ starts in October right? approx 3-4 weeks after the regular season?

I feel like there isn't a player in baseball worth our top three prospects. Just from a future-of-the-team perspective. In much the same way as Trout is untradable - the damage the trade would do to the team would have to be made up, and no team would be willing to give enough to undo the damage (in the trout case, we would need all of our holes filled with above average players, and an entire farm system - say 20 of the team's top 20 players, which would be stupid of any team to do).

One or mayyybe two of them, sure. All 3 would be stupid unless you're getting Kershaw or something.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Verlander's opt-out (if he's traded he earns an opt-out) is a huge wrinkle in any deal - I haven't even really been able to wrap my head around how it affects any potential deal. It probably isn't something anyone outside of the GMs/Verlander really knows so hard for any fan or writer to really come up with a scenario. 

Have any other major Marlins players cleared waivers? or any Halos? I still only think Stanton is slightly realistic if there's additional salary/contracts being exchanged. 

Any Angels player that cleared waivers is probably not one the Marlins are going to want in exchange.  I'm thinking, if a Stanton deal would be straight prospect haul for Stanton and the full contract

Guys, IF a trade is actually in the works, just because all didn't play doesn't mean ALL are involved. 

Would just mean none of them are untouchable and any of them are in play and the teams had agreed on nothing more than some of the foundations of a trade (i.e., x amount of the Angels better prospects, any combo of them, would be enough)

Adell, Thaiss, and Ward is about what I would expect if we acquired Stanton with the Marlins picking up the remainder of this year's salary. One top prospect and two mid-tier types is equivalent to the approximate $60M in surplus value Giancarlo has at this point in time.

I wouldn't think you'd pull any of those guys out of the lineup unless you were sure a deal was going down....that's usually the way it works....I guess things can get iffy with finalizing things, particularly with huge contracts and maybe they were being careful....so it could complicate things.....

So as of now, Stanton is owed either 3+ years/$80 million (opt out after 2020), or 10+ years/$298 million (including $10 million buyout for age 38 season).  

For opt outs, how does the AAV get calculated?   One value based on before the opt out ($25.7 million AAV), and then based on after that if staying ($29.7 million AAV)?   Or based on entire contract ($29.8 million AAV for all 10 seasons)?