• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Time to fly the flag...

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Clearly I missed the part where I gave my opinion on who they should sign.  Neil Walker will not get $20 million a season.  I will bet basically any amount of money on that.  The reason he got what he got was he signed the qualifying option which was smart of him.  Moustakas will be an Angel I think.  I don't think he will get $20 million either.  

you brought up the names, i rolled with it.  

Walker is currently making 17.5 M and is the "top" 2B on market, why do you think he takes a cut?  Or at least a significant one?  Even if he drops to 12 for example is that worth it for his 33+ seasons coming off worst year?   I wouldnt pay 10 for him in my view... in fact i have no interest at all. 

Moustakis is making under 9, also top 3B on market, likely to get raise.  Maybe not to 20 but i bet hes close to 15 and is Boras client.   I like him a lot but hes a less than 2 WAR player in the last 2 seasons and carries a negative dWAR roughly the same as Escobar which most cant wait to show the door.   Valbuena is a better rated defender. 

Bottom line there are as you say a lot of things they "could" do, but will they?   I dont see anyone in upcoming FA that helps us thats a cant miss no brainer at out positions of need.  It would have made more sense to put in some waiver claims and get better options, but thats moot too i guess.  

Im not going to argue the off season anymore, still too much we dont know, but right now, this season... i guess we are truly done

13 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

With some 6 teams ahead of them in the 2nd WC spot race; that is a lot of help that is needed to get to that spot, with a bad offense that has exactly TWO threats in the lineup and an overworked bullpen and soft on innings rotation 

Not exactly a recipe for success

You forget the favorable schedule, but its ok, doesnt mater

55 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The emptying the farm trades is severely overstated around here.  Basically Segura is the only player of value we have traded in five years.  Grichuck isn't really an everyday player.  None of the guys we sent for Street have amounted to anything.  You yourself says what's the point of having depth if that depth is bad.  

Skaggs, Corbin, Grichuck, etc.  They don't have to be amazing, they just have to be serviceable and inexpensive depth.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

The emptying the farm trades is severely overstated around here.  Basically Segura is the only player of value we have traded in five years.  Grichuck isn't really an everyday player.  None of the guys we sent for Street have amounted to anything.  You yourself says what's the point of having depth if that depth is bad.  

Maybe it's more accurate to say they traded away the very few valuable minor league assets they had from a system that was severely lacking talent and depth.

6 hours ago, Blarg said:

Hah, fan voting is probably the silliest measure of a players worth. Jeter was voted on the All Star squad when he was out with knee surgery. Nearly the entire Royals lineup was voted in by ballot box stuffing and internet bots three years ago.

You need better arguments. 

Fifty years is a pretty good sample size, despite the truth that the fans do indeed make it a popularity contest, but if you look to see who the managers brought in after the fan vote, I strongly suspect you will see Angel farm products as under represented.

Which Angel farm products over the last 50 years, while playing for the Angels in their prime, would be considered among the best in any given year?

I certainly hope this will change soon, but for now we are suffering from the lack of wisdom from Dipoto, Reagins, and Arte's free agent signings.

On 8/8/2017 at 0:27 PM, Farmbuildingfan said:

Until Trout, not a single Angels farm player while playing for the Angels has even been on the periphery of HOF consideration.

Troy Glaus was on an HOF pace for 3B until injuries derailed him...   His age 26 comp was Reggie Jackson, from 27 through age 31 it was Mike Schmidt. 

On 8/8/2017 at 6:49 AM, ten ocho recon scout said:

Ever since we tightened the purse strings, weve had this revolving door or gambles where if things work out best case scenario, we 'could' win. (Ibanez, joyce, giving up grichuk for freese, etc).

The St. Louis Cardinals have sent third baseman and former World Series MVP David Freese to the Los Angeles Angels for outfielder Peter Bourjos as part of a four-player trade, the teams confirmed Friday.

On 8/8/2017 at 7:20 AM, floplag said:

Now we will watch them not re-sign Maybin or Escobar and create 2 more holes to worry about and next year.

I am still undecided about Maybin but letting Escobar leave is addition by subtraction. He seems to be on the down side of his career, and he can't throw straight.

On 8/8/2017 at 7:36 AM, Jason said:

Cron is not the answer IMO. I would like to see a little more consistency from that spot. 

Give Cron 1B and leave him there even if he gets off to cold April, he will get hot and when he does he can carry a team for weeks at a time much as he done in July and August this season. He has improved to average to above average defender at 1B this year, superior to Valbuena or Marte.

On 8/8/2017 at 9:57 AM, Angel Oracle said:

With some 6 teams ahead of them in the 2nd WC spot race; that is a lot of help that is needed to get to that spot, with a bad offense that has exactly TWO threats in the lineup and an overworked bullpen and soft on innings rotation 

Not exactly a recipe for success

What do you think now, one week later?

44 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I am still undecided about Maybin but letting Escobar leave is addition by subtraction. He seems to be on the down side of his career, and he can't throw straight.

I'm sorry but i really hate thew whole "addition by subtraction" saying as its largely nonsense.  It isn't addition if you drop a player and have no viable replacement.  

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

I'm sorry but i really hate thew whole "addition by subtraction" saying as its largely nonsense.  It isn't addition if you drop a player and have no viable replacement.  

I'm assuming there will be a replacement at 3B next year. I mean every team needs a 3B. Almost anyone that can make a good throw to first would be an improvement. At a lot less money even Valbuena is better at the moment because it guarantees Cron plays first.

7 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I'm assuming there will be a replacement at 3B next year. I mean every team needs a 3B. Almost anyone that can make a good throw to first would be an improvement. At a lot less money even Valbuena is better at the moment because it guarantees Cron plays first.

We've been assuming that for how many years now?  has it ever actually been an upgrade?    I hear you but damn, it gets old :)

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Escobar is not an everyday 3rd baseman for a team that has playoff aspirations.  If they make the playoffs this year, then they really need to look into upgrading third base in the off season.  Even if that upgrade is purely defensive, with a guy like Cowart.  Just my thoughts.  

Like him or not ... Yescobar isn't going anywhere this season. He's our starting third baseman. It's really a topic for the off season.

it is what it is