• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The five reasons why Mike Trout will be an Angel for life.

I honestly think you're wrong on all five points. 

5) He's marrying his high school sweetheart, not his mom. Both of their families are from the same town. He's a Philadelphia fan of basketball and football and hockey. He's east coast but playing in Fenway or Yankee Stadium or Camden Yard doesn't necessarily mean he's playing at home. 

4) We've been saying that for years. The farm won't correct itself in two years when Trout will be entering his contract year. We don't even have an Ace pitcher in place or well established closer. How good will Calhoun and Pujols be in 3 years? Oh and Scioscia will be gone so Albert won't be as comfortable as he normally is. 

3) Sure Arte will be in the mix but he'll be competing with other teams that will be willing to pay him more. 

2) Albert Pujols is not his agent, not his lawyer, he doesn't cook for him or sleep with him. Albert still makes his winter home in Kansas City. Albert is going to tell Trout to do whatever is best for his family because that's what he did. The State of California isn't all that anymore. And Angels Stadium is way outdated. 

1) Mike Trout has spent his whole life preparing to be the best baseball player in the world and he is. That also means that he was preparing to win on the big stage, tradition, history, national exposure, playoffs, world series, Mr. October, not Miss October. To think that he'll be happy flirting with the wild cards every year is a huge mistake. They've continuously failed to put a winning team around him and it's stunning that the best player in the world has only 3 measly playoff games to his name. He's playing in a pitchers park with a ton of underachieving teammates while other younger teams are thriving with continuous playoff excitement. There's way too much at stake for Trout to commit to the Angels with the whole baseball world that available to him. 

36 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

5) He's marrying his high school sweetheart, not his mom. Both of their families are from the same town. He's a Philadelphia fan of basketball and football and hockey. He's east coast but playing in Fenway or Yankee Stadium or Camden Yard doesn't necessarily mean he's playing at home. 

4) We've been saying that for years. The farm won't correct itself in two years when Trout will be entering his contract year. We don't even have an Ace pitcher in place or well established closer. How good will Calhoun and Pujols be in 3 years? Oh and Scioscia will be gone so Albert won't be as comfortable as he normally is. 

3) Sure Arte will be in the mix but he'll be competing with other teams that will be willing to pay him more. 

2) Albert Pujols is not his agent, not his lawyer, he doesn't cook for him or sleep with him. Albert still makes his winter home in Kansas City. Albert is going to tell Trout to do whatever is best for his family because that's what he did. The State of California isn't all that anymore. And Angels Stadium is way outdated. 

1) Mike Trout has spent his whole life preparing to be the best baseball player in the world and he is. That also means that he was preparing to win on the big stage, tradition, history, national exposure, playoffs, world series, Mr. October, not Miss October. To think that he'll be happy flirting with the wild cards every year is a huge mistake. They've continuously failed to put a winning team around him and it's stunning that the best player in the world has only 3 measly playoff games to his name. He's playing in a pitchers park with a ton of underachieving teammates while other younger teams are thriving with continuous playoff excitement. There's way too much at stake for Trout to commit to the Angels with the whole baseball world that available to him. 

1 hour ago, CALZONE said:

One point you made that's absolutely essential is picking the right manager after Scioscia leaves, probably when the contract ends after 2018.

And, as DocHalo says, Arte has to pay $$$, with a commitment to win a World Series.  

Arte has been sandbagging the last few years until a couple of contracts gone sour expire.  He has to exercise better judgment, respect the chain of command, and let the baseball people make the baseball decisions.  If he doesn't trust his baseball people, he has to go out and get some he does.

28 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yep.  Like there's a single person here who thought he would have a different opinion.  He gets extra troll points for saying, "I think you're wrong on all point" as opposed to "I disagree on all points and here's why".  

Look I wasn't rude to Doc. I clearly explained why I think he's wrong and my opinion could be just as wrong his. Maybe Trout does like socal but that might also make him a Dodger.  Although I think in point number 2 he misspelled greed. Additionally I think it's a great topic to discuss so props to Doc and his opinion on the subject.

14 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Look I wasn't rude to Doc. I clearly explained why I think he's wrong and my opinion could be just as wrong his. Maybe Trout does like socal but that might also make him a Dodger.  Although I think in point number 2 he misspelled greed. Additionally I think it's a great topic to discuss so props to Doc and his opinion on the subject.

It isn't a matter of being rude.  It is the fact that everyone knew you would post a rebuttal and everyone knew what your rebuttal would be.  It is kind of sad.  You want Trout to leave.  You want the Angels to suck

#1 is why we will lose him if we dont right the ship sooner than the 5+ year plan to build the farm
A player like that wants to win, and has a lot of loyalty, BUT... is not going to tolerate too many losing seasons or more specifically a lack of effort to change it from the front office. 
There is no way he likes losing, none.  We throw up a few more trash throw away seasons and nothing beyond that will matter.  If im him ive already had my fill of it, though i suspect he has more patience than i do 

6 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

When the Angels' average age is 23 and they win the WS despite having a total payroll of 2.4 million Claude is going to experience the ultimate erection. 

Then he will immediately talk about rebuilding, how long it will take and he will bitch about how Albert's personal services contract is more per year than any player on the active roster.  

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

5.  Most baseball players don't run home to mommy - There is quite a bit of hoopla around Trout being from the east coast.  So what.  Most players are on a team that isn't close to their home town.  Even after they've hit free agency.  Especially superstars.  A lot of them chase the money.  But otherwise they chase wins.  The distraction of being at 'home' can actually be a detriment.  For a superstar like Trout, it certainly seems like it could be.  

4.  We're gonna be good - We'll win a wild card spot in 2019 and we'll win the division in 2020.  You heard it here first

3.  Arte will pay him - there won't be shenanigans.  When it comes time, Arte will back up the truck and give him enough to where becoming a free agent won't even be something he will consider

2.  Albert Pujols - yes.  Albert Pujols, but not for the reason you think I mean.  Albert should have stayed in St. Louis.  He was beloved by the fans and when you are a declining superstar, that's important.  Why?  It's called grace.  It the reason why David Price hates Boston.  Or any other free agent isn't as happy as where they were when they came to the bigs.  He'll impart this on Mike. If Albert is worth anything over the next 4 years, it will be this.  

1.  Mike Trout want to win HERE.  Most players want to win with the team they've been with.  Not all, but I think Mike does.  Because of numbers 2-5 and because he's loyal.  He wasn't the the top pick in the draft.  The Angels believed in him and he will return the favor.  Money and wins need to a be a non issue and they will be.  He has no loyalty to the phillies or yanks or any any other teams.  So if you remove all the other variables, he will stay.  

Ditto

(you're welcome)

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Stop being THAT GUY in every frickin thread.  You like being the lightning rod of attention, then you get it, and now you cry about it.  

Stop constantly bullying him and inviting others like Tdawg and MT to do the same.  He expressed his opinion and nothing more.  

All youre doing is derailing the thread because you have some weird obsession with Calscuf.

8 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Stop constantly bullying him and inviting others like Tdawg and MT to do the same.  He expressed his opinion and nothing more.  

All youre doing is derailing the thread because you have some weird obsession with Calscuf.

It's not a weird obsession nor is it calscuf.  This place is called AngelsWin.  That guy wants anything but for the Angels to succeed.  He says stupid shit, I'll respond.  When he stops I'll stop, pretty simple.  There's a reason many of us know what he will say before he says it.  

People have been crying about Trout leaving since he signed his extension. It's so annoying. Everyone cried he'd leave right away and he didn't. It took like 2 months before people cried about the next time his contract his up. His contract won't even expire. They'll extend him easily. It's so dumb to continue to worry about it

1 hour ago, CALZONE said:

Why don't you guys just discuss the OP's subject instead of my opinion. Give the message board your own opinion on the subject as I'm sure that's what Doc intended. Screw my opinion let's see yours. 

Your post is a direct rebuttal to what the OP said - you opened with "you're wrong on everything" and where he says "I think" when discussing what Mike Trout might be thinking you basically respond with "No" and proceed to state your opinion as a fact.  

To turn around and tell others not to respond to your opinion is laughable.  

FWIW -- I think Doc is right in that AP is likely to tell Mike to stay home ...  Ken Griffey Jr has gone on record as saying his Father had told him to stay home, and that no team's fans would ever show him the same level of affection as the team you first come up with.  Reggie Jackson has made similar comments.  Eddie Murray has on several occasions stated his biggest regret was leaving Baltimore.   It's a pretty common sentiment shared by players across many sports.

I won't speak as to what Mike Trout thinks.  I think anyone that speaks for him or claims to know what he's thinking is a complete tool.  What we do know about Mike Trout is that he's not the typical superstar.  He's driven and has an ego, but not driven by his ego -- at least that's the vibe he gives off.  He's clearly devoted to his family and home, that may or may not extend to what he views as his baseball family.  By most accounts, AP and Trout have a good relationship -- to the best of my knowledge Mike hasn't had issues with MS, and he's recently spoken of how much he likes Eppler and how he acts like a GM should.  I have no idea what Mike thinks of Arte, I can't offer an opinion other than I doubt the players question his desire to win. 

The Angels best chance to keep him long term is to make him believe they will contend. They need to show they have a plan, and that the plan involves going deep into the postseason.  IMO, they are best served by making Trout believe and cultivating their relationship with him.  Basically, they have a few years to make it as difficult as possible for Mike Trout to leave the only baseball "home" he's had.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Your post is a direct rebuttal to what the OP said - you opened with "you're wrong on everything" and where he says "I think" when discussing what Mike Trout might be thinking you basically respond with "No" and proceed to state your opinion as a fact.  

To turn around and tell others not to respond to your opinion is laughable.  

FWIW -- I think Doc is right in that AP is likely to tell Mike to stay home ...  Ken Griffey Jr has gone on record as saying his Father had told him to stay home, and that no team's fans would ever show him the same level of affection as the team you first come up with.  Reggie Jackson has made similar comments.  Eddie Murray has on several occasions stated his biggest regret was leaving Baltimore.   It's a pretty common sentiment shared by players across many sports.

I won't speak as to what Mike Trout thinks.  I think anyone that speaks for him or claims to know what he's thinking a complete tool.  What we do know about Mike Trout is that he's not the typical superstar.  He's driven and has an ego, but not driven by his ego -- at least that's the vibe he gives off.  He's clearly devoted to his family and home, that may or may not extend to what he views as his baseball family.  By most accounts, AP and Trout have a good relationship -- to the best of my knowledge Mike hasn't had issues with MS, and he's recently spoken of how much he likes Eppler and how he acts like a GM should.  I have no idea what Mike thinks of Arte, I can't offer an opinion other than I doubt the players question his desire to win. 

The Angels best chance to keep him long term is to make him believe they will contend. They need to show they have a plan, and that the plan involves going deep into the postseason.  IMO, they are best served by making Trout believe and cultivating their relationship with him.  Basically, they have a few years to make it as difficult as possible for Mike Trout to leave the only baseball "home" he's had.

First of all Albert Pujols is not Trout's dad so please don't go there. Trout has an agent that clearly said that they were comfortable with the years in his current contract because it leaves his options open. I'm not saying that he won't sign an extension, I'm saying that he has put himself in a position with his performance and his current contract to do whatever he wants to do. Play wherever he wants to play. Live wherever he wants to live. He could even choose to be the next Barry Sanders (similar situation) and retire young, healthy and wealthy. Who knows what his fiancées thoughts are and how that will impact his decision. He's earned the right to make those decisions and he's mature enough to evaluate his own legacy.