• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sell High Options If Eppler Choses that Road

Bud Norris (proven closer)

JC Ramirez (quality starter)

Yunel Escobar (good hitter)

I'd rather them extend Ramirez.  Norris they should deal.  Escobar I'm on the fence about.  Good hitter to a lineup but a dumb player.  Somewhat off the hook for that inning but when you have Trout on deck and you haven't figured it out to play it safe with scoring position on the base paths and < 2 away, that could get you traded.  Aybar pulled that stupid stuff himself.  Escobar shot himself on the foot after that, but that's not the first time he's done that.       

No need to extend Ramirez, he's under control for several seasons and hasn't even hit arbitration.

We're sorta effed. We don't have any players of significant value to sell, and the ones we do are rentals, who are barely pulling anything in this market.

Standing pat at this point wouldn't necessarily be a sign that they're going for it or feel this team is a contender, it just means no one is offering them anything for their spare parts, which is certainly a possibility right now. They could just keep this crew together and see if they Forrest Gump their way into a playoff game.

1 hour ago, Jeff Williams said:

Bud Norris (proven closer)

JC Ramirez (quality starter)

Yunel Escobar (good hitter)

I'd rather them extend Ramirez.  Norris they should deal.  Escobar I'm on the fence about.  Good hitter to a lineup but a dumb player.  Somewhat off the hook for that inning but when you have Trout on deck and you haven't figured it out to play it safe with scoring position on the base paths and < 2 away, that could get you traded.  Aybar pulled that stupid stuff himself.  Escobar shot himself on the foot after that, but that's not the first time he's done that.       

I'm sorry, but how is Norris a "proven closer" or Ramirez a "quality starter?"

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Play for 2018.

And i dont mean that to be sarcastic. But continue to focus on getting young, have a plan a b and c for next years FA class, and hold the money and prospect currency until we have next year to evaluate our post tommy john guys.

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

Guys that could be traded away and I wouldn't miss a minute of sleep:

Pennington, Franklin, Maybin, Escobar, Valbuena, Calhoun, Chavez, Nolasco, Bedrosian, Alvarez, Pounders, Norris.

The problem is, I'm not sure we could get anybody decent in return.

Is this latest from Valbuena a portent of things to come?  Or just a tease?   Given his previous work, seems like some of both to me.

Bedrosian is still only 25.   I'd like to keep him and Norris, and see how a backend pen (hopefully good enough health) of Bedrosian, Parker, and Norris fares in 2018.   

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

Guys that could be traded away and I wouldn't miss a minute of sleep:

Pennington, Franklin, Maybin, Escobar, Valbuena, Calhoun, Chavez, Nolasco, Bedrosian, Alvarez, Pounders, Norris.

The problem is, I'm not sure we could get anybody decent in return.

Your  dump list overlaps somewhat with the only 12 players on the active roster I want to return:

Trout. Bridwell, Bedrosian ,Middleton,Parker ,Ramirez ,Maldonado,Cowart, Cron, Simmons, Norris, and Calhoun.

However, as Stradling has pointed out numerous times, you can't dump players without ML ready replacements, so a fire sale is not practical, although I certainly wish it was..

Of the 13 players I would not miss too much, the best you will get in return ranges from either nothing to mid- level prospects or mediocre  ML players.

Nevertheless, the Angels would likely have six or seven more wins if only two of the injured starting pitchers had replaced Nolasco and Chavez, putting the Angels in the lead for the 2nd wild card.

If even three of the injured return healthy, the Angels should at a minimum compete for a WC in 2018., even if they need to keep some of the mediocrity due to poor ML ready farm depth

2 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

2019 is too close to the end of Trout's contract. If we want to extend Trout we need to prove to him we are on tract to win it all. 2019 doesn't leave much room for failure, we need to go for broke now.

Yeah, i get that. But honestly i dont see how we can fix enough in 2018 anyway. 

Lets say we trade every propspect we have this winter and aquire some badass 2B. Then we spend the remaining money on darvish and moustakus.

Then we come back next year, and richards and heaney and or skaggs and or shoe and or and or. Those winter moves wont matter. Trout wont be any more compelled to stay.

I think it pays off to simply sit mike down and explain what youre doing. He obviously would rather be winning, but if you say "look at how things have been, now look where were going", it could buy us the time.

35 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Yeah, i get that. But honestly i dont see how we can fix enough in 2018 anyway. 

Lets say we trade every propspect we have this winter and aquire some badass 2B. Then we spend the remaining money on darvish and moustakus.

Then we come back next year, and richards and heaney and or skaggs and or shoe and or and or. Those winter moves wont matter. Trout wont be any more compelled to stay.

I think it pays off to simply sit mike down and explain what youre doing. He obviously would rather be winning, but if you say "look at how things have been, now look where were going", it could buy us the time.

We won't need starting pitching in order to compete next year. We need a LF with power and a 3B or a 2B giving Cowart the other. Keep our bull pen intact, let Cron play everyday with no platoon. I haven't given up on Richards, Skaggs, Heaney, Tropeano, Shoemaker, Meyer, Bridwell, or Ramirez. That should be enough pitching depth to compete next year without destroying the farm.

That's just me though. Skaggs pitched today an 1.1 innings before game was suspended so that probably will cost him 5 more days in AAA.

Asking Trout to trust the Angels one more year may be asking too much.

I like Escobar but he has lowered his trade value like in the past week or two with his slump at the plate. But he could still fetch the Angels a decent return because of his solid track record. Ramirez has shown a lot of flashes of being good but still needs to lower his ERA. Still not going to get that much for Ramirez if the Angels decide to trade him. Norris would make a nice #4 or #5 starter or a decent reliever but no team would be willing to give much in return for him. 

11 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm sorry, but how is Norris a "proven closer" or Ramirez a "quality starter?"

Norris: 15 saves and 51k to 40.1 IP with a 1.17 WHIP Despite the GS given up on Monday, those aren't sell-high figures for teams need back end bullpen help?  

Ramirez: His makeup, power, slider, and quality starts turn around after picked up form the Reds last season.  If Eppler put him on the block, you would have a flock of teams asking for him at that value.  I'd rather they hang onto him but there is some value in return for him.  

4 hours ago, Jeff Williams said:

Norris: 15 saves and 51k to 40.1 IP with a 1.17 WHIP Despite the GS given up on Monday, those aren't sell-high figures for teams need back end bullpen help?  

Ramirez: His makeup, power, slider, and quality starts turn around after picked up form the Reds last season.  If Eppler put him on the block, you would have a flock of teams asking for him at that value.  I'd rather they hang onto him but there is some value in return for him.  

Having a good 2/3 of a season doesn't make you a proven anything.  And Ramirez is average at best.  He'd bring back a marginal prospect.

I'm not sure why some seem to overvalue Escobar or think he has some kind of magical sneaky trade mojo that is going to land the Angels a good prospect. More likely the Angels could dump him to save a couple million remaining on his salary, and maybe pick up a fringe prospect in return.

Norris, Petit, and Hernandez could--and should--all bring in solid prospects, maybe even good ones. These guys should all be unloaded in the next couple days...shouldn't miss the boat on this one, Eppler. These three are the only "sell high" candidates. One reason you sell these guys is that after having good years, they'll all command more than Eppler will want to pay for his bullpen.

Cron might still have some value, but not much. He's the type of player you don't bother trading because the slim chance he breaks through is more valuable than the mediocre return you'd get for him.

I think you keep Bedrosian, Middleton, Parker, and Paredes as the core of next year's bullpen, filling it out with excess rotation pieces and maybe one or two sneaky Eppler free agent pickups.

10 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm not sure why some seem to overvalue Escobar or think he has some kind of magical sneaky trade mojo that is going to land the Angels a good prospect. More likely the Angels could dump him to save a couple million remaining on his salary, and maybe pick up a fringe prospect in return.

Norris, Petit, and Hernandez could--and should--all bring in solid prospects, maybe even good ones. These guys should all be unloaded in the next couple days...shouldn't miss the boat on this one, Eppler. These three are the only "sell high" candidates. One reason you sell these guys is that after having good years, they'll all command more than Eppler will want to pay for his bullpen.

Cron might still have some value, but not much. He's the type of player you don't bother trading because the slim chance he breaks through is more valuable than the mediocre return you'd get for him.

I think you keep Bedrosian, Middleton, Parker, and Paredes as the core of next year's bullpen, filling it out with excess rotation pieces and maybe one or two sneaky Eppler free agent pickups.

If the Angels traded Escobar they could probably get a better version of Trevor Gott. 

If you want to trade a piece that has value you trade Parker.  Some playoff team may look at his k/9 and overpay for that.  

7 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Due to the age factor, I don't think " solid prospects" are likely for Escobar ,Hernandez, Petit, or Norris.

You might get some mid level prospects.