• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sell High Options If Eppler Choses that Road

7 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Blake Parker

That's an option but he's too valuable to the back-end for them as it is.  I would think the closer would yield more in return.  

I pointed out on another thread in here, that Eppler's pattern could point him to the Nats for AJ Cole.  With the Nats needing back-end bullpen help, Norris or Parker might chip toward Cole.

7 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Blake Parker

That's an option but he's too valuable to the back-end for them as it is.  I would think the closer would yield more in return.  

I pointed out on another thread in here, that Eppler's pattern could point him to the Nats for AJ Cole.  With the Nats needing back-end bullpen help, Norris or Parker might chip toward Cole.

On 7/27/2017 at 0:28 PM, DMVol said:

Trading Escobar would be "selling high"?.....He's hitting .211 in July.....Nobody wanted him when he was hitting .300.

Yet, the Angels kept him although they didn't want him?  The guy can hit in the clutch with men on base, but can be a stupid poison to the rally at the same time by his base running. 

24 minutes ago, Jeff Williams said:

Yet, the Angels kept him although they didn't want him?  The guy can hit in the clutch with men on base, but can be a stupid poison to the rally at the same time by his base running. 

I think we kept him because he was out best option, even with his flaws....he can hit, although he hasn't the last few weeks...bad timing if we want to trade him...I just still doubt his trade value is very high....we'll see....

Third base is not a position of need for most of the contending clubs. Given that Escobar is a free agent at the end of the season his value in trade is not much. The Red Sox are the only team looking for a third baseman and I would think that Escobar is way down the list of possible replacements. 

I wouldn't trade Bedrosian or Parker yet., remember that deals are made in August also. I think it is better to wait until some teams are desperate for bullpen arms or need an Escobar because of injuries.

Edited by Bob Trop
Spelling

9 hours ago, Bob Trop said:

Third base is not a position of need for most of the contending clubs. Given that Escobar is a free agent at the end of the season his value in trade is not much. The Red Sox are the only team looking for a third baseman and I would think that Escobar is way down the list of possible replacements. 

I wouldn't trade Bedrosian or Parker yet., remember that deals are made in August also. I think it is better to wait until some teams are desperate for bullpen arms or need an Escobar because of injuries.

3B has fallen off adding Donaldson to that mix.  Thx to Longoria, 3B has been held up somewhat in the AL. The Tigers Castellanos (who the Angels missed in that draft) yields great chip return value if they put him on the block. Escobar is good value, relatively, to a rather scarce MLB position.  Eppler is playing his cards right to treat it that way while 3B is still a call.

MLBTR reports that the Angels will consider dealing Norris, Pettit, or Hernandez.  Pettit might continue as a good spot starting option until Meyer, Shoe, Skaggs, maybe even Heaney return, and I wouldn't deal him.  Jose Mota believes they'll add by today's post game show, and Scioscia's probably urging Eppler to keep his deep back-end bullpen in tact [Norris, Bedrosian, Middleton, Hernandez, Parker] until he gets some SP rescue back.  They have Street and Bailey on the DL, too, who may return, I guess.   

I applaud this team for holding this season together despite the repeat injury bug biting them in the ass.  Look how deep they are if they get many of those guys back shown by the notes with their depth chart at angels.com

If Eppler want's the Meyer type, though, he might seize it with Norris, we'll see.    

On 7/27/2017 at 0:52 PM, totdprods said:

No need to extend Ramirez, he's under control for several seasons and hasn't even hit arbitration.

We're sorta effed. We don't have any players of significant value to sell, and the ones we do are rentals, who are barely pulling anything in this market.

Standing pat at this point wouldn't necessarily be a sign that they're going for it or feel this team is a contender, it just means no one is offering them anything for their spare parts, which is certainly a possibility right now. They could just keep this crew together and see if they Forrest Gump their way into a playoff game.

that's the angels organizational motto.

Hell, there's no longer anyone on which to sell high.  Might as well start extending some of these guys and hope (and pray) our starting five come back healthy next year.  At least there are several players like Norris (blown save and all) , Maybin, and perhaps even the Statue at Third Base,  who might re-sign for cheap and could actually be useful next year.

Sigh...this team...

Sell high?

GM of other teams might have to be 'high' to acquire some of the folks listed there for anything much of value.

As for our front office, I, right now -- 5 games out of the second W/C spot and the team as it is -- I would deem THREE players 'off limits' not subject to a trade:

Trout, A. Simmons and Maldonado (who I think has really done well this year and probably cant find a better Defensive catcher at a decent cost than him).

Pitchers -- even the rotation guys -- most on the DL and not available for trade.

NORRIS -- had done fairly well in closer role until giving up walk off Grand Slam dingers within the past week  or so. Sell 'high' well  - it's relative. I think his value reduces to near ZERO after the trade deadline. Escobar -- would deal him NOW. Cam Bedrosian -- someone might be interested but that's an off-season deal and he's still on the DL isn't he?

Maybin? Now -- there's a player who a play off bound team might want for OF depth, some late inning D and to pinch run in late inning situations.....he could help a playoff team in that specialized role......

3 minutes ago, disarcina said:

Sell high?

GM of other teams might have to be 'high' to acquire some of the folks listed there for anything much of value.

As for our front office, I, right now -- 5 games out of the second W/C spot and the team as it is -- I would deem THREE players 'off limits' not subject to a trade:

Trout, A. Simmons and Maldonado (who I think has really done well this year and probably cant find a better Defensive catcher at a decent cost than him).

Pitchers -- even the rotation guys -- most on the DL and not available for trade.

NORRIS -- had done fairly well in closer role until giving up walk off Grand Slam dingers within the past week  or so. Sell 'high' well  - it's relative. I think his value reduces to near ZERO after the trade deadline. Escobar -- would deal him NOW. Cam Bedrosian -- someone might be interested but that's an off-season deal and he's still on the DL isn't he?

Maybin? Now -- there's a player who a play off bound team might want for OF depth, some late inning D and to pinch run in late inning situations.....he could help a playoff team in that specialized role......

You're 0 for 2....Bedrosian isn't on the DL, he pitched an inning today...Unfortunately, Maybin is on the DL....he's not going anywhere....

if the Halos make any deals, it would probably involve some of pen guys -- Hernandez, Pettit.

I don't see Norris getting much interest -- unless it's a non-contender who wants a less expensive option at closer next year and would extend him a year -- but that team would probably just wait until the off-season..........don't see a mad rush of teams knocking down Norris door to sign him as a closer........heck, until the Angels gave hm another shot, I think he was close to being out of baseball.

Maybin could go and I think the Angels could demand a prospect of some value in return -- if the other team deems the price 'too high' - well, that's OK - no harm, no foul, no deal.

0-2 count........I feel like Pujols at the plate -- next pitch will be a GIDP.

I knew Bedrosian was on the DL for a bit -- did not watch today's game obviously......and , yeah, Maybin isn't going anywhere - on DL.

seems like some of the folks of some value (mainly rotation guys) are all on the DL.

12 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I think Petit is the most likely to be traded. I think Scribner's presence on the roster on Sunday is a good hint. 

If they optioned him and then traded Petit, they couldn't bring him back the next time they need a starter. 

Jeff:  Any chance Parker goes? His #'s are holding steady and I think he's controllable...