• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Teams checking in on Dee Gordon

On 2017-07-09 at 10:40 AM, CanadianHalo said:

There's also Dee Gordon, who has heated up as of late but I could see Miami still wanting to unload his contract. I'd be open to taking on that contract since he'd fill our need at leadoff, allowing us to potentially sign a power corner outfielder this offseason.

Tough to play this game when no one has any idea how willing Arte is to spend money.

Thank god Eppler takes my posts seriously. Jerry clearly didn't and now look at us.

The assumption I keep reading is that the Marlins would have to eat some salary to move Gordon, but, to be honest I think the Angels could afford to take on that contract almost in it's entirety and it wouldn't be too damaging. It'd sure reduce the prospect cost.

Even if you pick up his option in the final year, it's roughly 4/$48m after 2017. After what we've paid lately, that looks like nothing.

He has zero power, but if you have him slotting into lead-off, you can now open up LF and 3B via FA sluggers and go after Martinez or Frasier, or Moustakas if you're buying his power surge.

3 minutes ago, Blarg said:

This is not an impact player for the Angels offense. It puts another barely . 700 ops player on the lineup to clog up the back of the order. 

He has a career .290 BA and .327 OBP. The only reason his OPS is sub .700 is he doesn't hit for power, but when you steal 250 bases after slapping 729 hits, you're stretching those singles into extra bases a third of time after the fact. 

He's basically Maybin without the walks or home runs, but when you're swiping 50-60 bases a season, that's alright.

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He has zero power, but if you have him slotting into lead-off, you can now open up LF and 3B via FA sluggers and go after Martinez or Frasier, or Moustakas if you're buying his power surge.

This.

And if Arte really wanted to go all in again (because that hasn't burnt him before) I'd move Kole to 1B and sign 2 outfielders. 

Lorenzo Cain and JD Martinez and then plan the parade of course!

Just now, CanadianHalo said:

This.

And if Arte really wanted to go all in again (because that hasn't burnt him before) I'd move Kole to 1B and sign 2 outfielders. 

Or Moustakas and Cain, or Frasier and Martinez, or Escobar and Maybin and SPs, etc. etc. 

By adding Gordon into the fold you really open up your offseason flexibility. As of now, we're very much tied into needing to sign one or Escobar,  Maybin, or Cain to fill lead-off. Two off those we're iffy on, and the other will get a fortune.

so at what point in Gordon's career do we assume he started taking PED's?  

I presume it was in 2014 at some point.  All of 2015 for sure.  

Since he's been back from his suspension, .642 ops in 2016 with a .310 obp.  and in 2017, .701ops with a .342 obp.  32 walks in his last 700+ pa.  

Defense is nice.  

30 yo season next year.  Speed doesn't age well.  

I think I'm taking a pass here unless he's coming over for very little.  

1 hour ago, CanadianHalo said:

This.

Movonk kole to 1B is a bad move. His defense is as much value with him as his offense. If anything, im not against signing two outfielders (if thats where the available bats are) and trading kole for decent prospects.

I just dont think his bat at 1B justifys losing bis glove in RF.

53 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

so at what point in Gordon's career do we assume he started taking PED's?  

I presume it was in 2014 at some point.  All of 2015 for sure.  

Since he's been back from his suspension, .642 ops in 2016 with a .310 obp.  and in 2017, .701ops with a .342 obp.  32 walks in his last 700+ pa.  

Defense is nice.  

30 yo season next year.  Speed doesn't age well.  

I think I'm taking a pass here unless he's coming over for very little.  

I think you're right about speed not aging terribly well. In fact, as far as I've witnessed in the last decade or so (post steroid era), it hasn't been so much a gradual decline as much as steep cliff right around 34 years old. I think for the next three years he'll still be a good defensive option that hits .290 and swipes 50 bags a year.

It's a good deal depending on what we pay.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

He has a career .290 BA and .327 OBP. The only reason his OPS is sub .700 is he doesn't hit for power, but when you steal 250 bases after slapping 729 hits, you're stretching those singles into extra bases a third of time after the fact. 

He's basically Maybin without the walks or home runs, but when you're swiping 50-60 bases a season, that's alright.

And his range and overall defense at 2B is the best in the league.