• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Calolfornia

Coffee may come with a cancer warning in California

Does anyone even care anymore?  It seems everything sold in Calolfornia has a cancer warning on it.  To the point that we could be sold plutonium, and it would get lost since all this frivolous shit is desensitizing us.  Oh, and just another strike on the hostile business environment that continues in this state.

15 hours ago, Jason said:

I have more than 10 years left but I'm with you

This isn't just some blowhards saying they're gonna leave. 3 families we're friends with have just announced they're leaving in the past two weeks. (Idaho, Texas, Arizona). Nuts!

16 minutes ago, Adam said:

This isn't just some blowhards saying they're gonna leave. 3 families we're friends with have just announced they're leaving in the past two weeks. (Idaho, Texas, Arizona). Nuts!

Your friends are just greedy and selfish, want to keep more of their money and live in a safer environment. 

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

Coffee may come with a cancer warning in California

Does anyone even care anymore?  It seems everything sold in Calolfornia has a cancer warning on it.  To the point that we could be sold plutonium, and it would get lost since all this frivolous shit is desensitizing us.  Oh, and just another strike on the hostile business environment that continues in this state.

California is a cancer

While it would be hard to be retired in California and while it is extremely expensive, employers do pay more here. I'm sure for a lot of folks it evens out, especially if they're fortunate enough to already own their home. 

9 minutes ago, Adam said:

While it would be hard to be retired in California and while it is extremely expensive, employers do pay more here. I'm sure for a lot of folks it evens out, especially if they're fortunate enough to already own their home. 

It just doesn't make fiscal sense to retire here. Our retirement dollars will go a lot further elsewhere. 

Just now, Jason said:

It just doesn't make fiscal sense to retire here. Our retirement dollars will go a lot further elsewhere. 

For sure. I only started my retirement account at 38 years old so we're likely going to have to make a nut on our house and move. 

Barring some drastic changes happening in state over the next 30+ years the only thing that would keep us here in retirement would be family.  I could see pushing to leave even before then if it comes down to the quality of life we can give our family.  Nice weather only goes so far when you have a HCOL, state leaders who oppose the feds when it's convenient for them, increasing crime rates, decreasing quality in public schools and so on.  

Our family would be our only anchor to California. Otherwise we'd pack it and go once all of the retirement paperwork was complete. 

One if my wife's friends moved to North Carolina to a beautiful piece of property on the river and her pension check comes in with an additional $500 a month, not paying California taxes. 

my dad and mom are both still living, though my dad's in pretty rough shape right now. leaving my mom as she slowly fades away would be the toughest part of moving away. a friend from high school just told me about a teaching job in central washington, and i'm interested in relocating, but the family issues are pretty big for us right now.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/08/borenstein-aint-seen-nothing-yet-pension-cost-rise-just-starting/

According to a report cited in the article by 2025 the cost of pensions for cities will increase by 50% compared to what they're paying today.  Both cities and CalPERS are responsible for this mess and while they've known it's a problem for years no serious changes have been made to fix the problem.  It's kind of like the growing national debt where most everyone knows it's a problem but no one wants to seriously start addressing it.

i don't think i've seen anyone say that calpers is a good idea. there are a multitude of problems with it and this article clearly shows it's worse than expected.

my question, then, is how do we either fix it or get rid of it?

• 4 weeks later...
On January 31, 2018 at 3:17 PM, Tank said:

my dad and mom are both still living, though my dad's in pretty rough shape right now. leaving my mom as she slowly fades away would be the toughest part of moving away. a friend from high school just told me about a teaching job in central washington, and i'm interested in relocating, but the family issues are pretty big for us right now.

Trust me, you won't leave. For a white (ish?) guy, you're a good son. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Jason said:

A woman minority Republican should start a construction company, and bid on the wall.  That would be some lols when she isn't allowed to bid or get tax breaks on any state projects.

Our new state motto should be.  We want to be inclusive to Mexico.  But not to any American that supports Trump.

There are so many elements to the high cost of housing here, it's just bonkers.

There are a lot of different things creating the overwhelming demand like the welfare state, the sanctuary state, the weather of course has always been a factor but not exactly something you can control, these things result in millions of people sticking around that otherwise probably wouldn't be here.

We would still like to make the move from our town house to a SFH but we've held off because the market is so thin and we're at a point now where I think it's just overpriced.  Overpriced is nothing new but I just don't see how current prices are sustainable given people aren't getting raises at the same rate. If it wasn't for family I'd be pushing to make a serious move out of state.  The weather only goes so far when housing is overpriced, crime is up including violent crimes, taxes aren't going to go down, sanctuary cities, elected officials taking about a sanctuary state while thumbing their noses at the feds and the list goes on.