• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Angels Hot Stove - Winter Meetings - Rumors thread

Chuck

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks are most open to discussing Shelby Miller and Patrick Corbin in trade talks.

Thoughts on acquiring either?

there is going to be a mental road block for the Dbacks moving Miller because of what they gave up to get him.  

I view arms from Arizona like I do the Rockies.  They are probably going to be better than their numbers have shown, but it's half a season worth of breaking habits formed to combat pitching in those parks.  

2 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

If he hadn't injured his ACL, he would be commanding a huge, long term contract, which would have taken us out of the running immediately.

That's simply not true. Moreno has consistently added big names via free agent contracts. I don't know where this "Angels won't sign long term deals" came from. Last offseason, they were exceptionally close to the Luxury Tax which mandated lower free agent deals. This year they are not.

Since Moreno has taken ownership the Angels have signed Colon, Escobar, Guerrero, GMJ, Hunter, Abreu, Wilson, Pujols, Hamilton to long term deals. That's not including their own guys who have received extensions. 

23 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'd like a reunion with Patrick Corbin. I think he'll fare better this season as this past one he was coming back from TJ surgery. 

I agree that Miller will cost too much. 

I'm just worried about cost on Corbin since he has two years left.... However if the Angels pick up a good defensive 2B Corbin's groundball profile would fit well into our defense so who knows?

Everyone knows the team is stuck in the middle with some financial obligations and not much to trade from the farm.  But I would hope that Eppler is smart enough to know that only one team wins the World Series every year, and all the others don't.  Realistically, realistically I don't see the Angels among the top 1/3 of teams in the conversation to be a real contender.  So the very least they can do is create some buzz around the team.  Signing Crisp and Norris do not do that.  I want a bold GM willing to make bold moves to create some excitement.  Getting Simmons last year was a move that both created some noise for fans to consume and also did something for a plan moving forward.

I want to bark at Eppler to please, please, please do not have an offseason where nothing energizing happens.  The team from a marketing perspective needs some kind of message that 2017 will be different from 2016.  Norris and Crisp do not accomplish that. . . 

For example, If they think Turner can be productive for a few years, then go get him.

I know that signing Hamilton was a disaster, but that sticks out as unique.  I don't want to miss out on a true impact player due to being gun shy from Hamilton, or due to a few dollars at or around the luxury tax.

Just now, hangin n wangin said:

His budget has been set at 160-170 max. Regardless of what the luxury tax is, that's what Arte's budget has been. Until he proves otherwise, Eppler can keep saying there is money to spend all he wants. But right now, they are close to what Arte's budget has been.

I agree you are properly citing the previous budget.  But I tend to believe that the budget is set attached to the lux tax.  If I had to say, I would say Moreno is willing to spend up to the lux tax. . . for the right player.  And I think Moreno will remain an active voice in whether a player is right or not, especially after his brutal marriage and divorce with Hamilton where he is stuck paying alimony.

2 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Hes going to the Rockies. They gave up the 11th overall pick for him...

This gives the Rockies too many outfielders...maybe they trade Gonzales?

giving up the 11th overall for desmond is retarded. i mean, like, literally retarded. literally.

9 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Only downside is his poor second half in 2016.

He has way more downside than that. His numbers were extremely inflated. OPS+ of 100. Average. 

He would have probably run up a line comparable to what Howie did. .260/.325/.425. 10-15 HRs, 15 SBs. 

Not bad and the versatility would be nice, but nowhere close to being worth that contract. I would have offered 4/$52 max and that's about it, and man, I would have cringed doing so. 

I'm not sure I agree with a concentrated effort to get a left handed bat to "solve" a right-handed heavy lineup.  It seems like commons sense to me that if you are right handed and you cannot hit right handed pitching, you are probably not good enough to be in the bigs.  So as long as the right handers you have are OK, then it isn't a problem to solve.  It is not like left handed hitters who sometimes feast on right handers but struggle against the less frequent at bats against lefties. . .

The point is lefties who don't hit lefties can have long careers because they can be used 80% of the time against righties.

Righties that don't hit righties are most likely not big leaguers, so who cares if you have 9 right handers in the lineup? 

(brought up in the context of Eppler looking for a bat from the left side) 

This is supposed to be fun. . . paying attention to the Winter Meetings and watching all the possible transactions develop, all in hopes your team makes a move that is energizing.

Instead this is about as thrilling as that same lame My Pillow commercial that runs pretty much non stop on cable.  As an Angel fan, can I get more bored?  Is it possible?

On 12/5/2016 at 1:21 PM, Inside Pitch said:

Even the 90s didn't have as much of that.   Eddie Murray was like 100 when they brought him and Belcher was 37-38 -- those are the two that come to mind first..  But it really has been a long time since it was a regular thing.

My earliest baseball memories include Fernando Valenzuela and Dave Parker in Angels uni's. 

29 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

holy shit we got life!

Got me thinking about some creative trades and signings. I was thinking we could trade Calhoun to the Cards for Wong and a pitcher and then sign Fowler. 

Damn it I'm so bored, DO SOMETHING EPP. We are all over here coming up with crazy scenarios that will never happen. 

On 12/6/2016 at 9:26 AM, Dochalo said:

I'm 80% sure that the blurry website in the near field laptop is AW.  

seriously though, that sure as hell looks like fangraphs on the second closest laptop.

What I love about Eppler is that his first order of business was to create a proprietary web app containing all statistical and scouting player data for members of the organization. We need to get access for Angels win members

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

What I love about Eppler is that his first order of business was to create a proprietary web app containing all statistical and scouting player data for members of the organization. We need to get access for Angels win members

i'm having lunch with eppler on friday. i'll see what i can find out.