• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Angels Hot Stove - Winter Meetings - Rumors thread

Chuck

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

Fowler and Turner are both coming off career years and are going to get paid very nicely. Ross is very much a ???? if he can be effective in 2017 or beyond if he's not over his arm problems, but you can see a team take high risk/high reward shot with him and give him a multi-year deal. 

I don't think Ross is going to sign a multi-year deal.  He is going to want to pitch well for a year to re-establish his value and then hit the market healthy for a big payday.  He will be pitching for his contract.  A savy team with an appetite for some risk might tempt him with a two year deal hoping to "steal" him in the second year of the contract if he is pitching well, but that will have to play out.  I just like his upside for a team like the Angels that I think is a little soft at the top of the rotation.

Ugh.  Bud Norris?  I hate useless depth.  How many 4th and 5th starters can you use?   I know money matters, but I want my team's GM to never add to the back of a rotation--I want them to add to the top of a rotation and have better pitchers pushed down. . . so you have a legit #3 as your #4, etc.  

You know, if the Padres trade Solarte - either to the Angels for 2B or Dodgers for 3B (as has also been rumored) then San Diego could actually be a theoretical fit for Escobar. He would not be a key to the deal, but he could be a team that would take him if the Angels ate some salary.

Wild scenario, Angels sign Turner for 3B, Dodgers trade for his replacement in Solarte, Angels send Smith/Meyer, Perez, and Escobar and money for Asuaje and Hand/Buchter, sign a back-up C and Coco Crisp.

There's a new 3B, 2B, LHRP, C, and 4th OF. Salary that is added is within reason. Losing pitching depth hurts, but that's why we've been building it up, and we get settle the IF for the foreseeable future. And we get back a good reliever.

I'm not pulling against Shoemaker, but I do believe he is a guy that will turn into a pumpkin at midnight.  I would never second guess trading him for a core piece needed.  He seems to be a gamble I can't mentally resolve.  My brain is constantly chanting to me that he is really a swingman/#5 starter at best who sometimes pitches over his head.  To me, any and all talk of Shoemaker in the top half of a rotation makes me cringe.

5 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I'm not pulling against Shoemaker, but I do believe he is a guy that will turn into a pumpkin at midnight.  I would never second guess trading him for a core piece needed.  He seems to be a gamble I can't mentally resolve.  My brain is constantly chanting to me that he is really a swingman/#5 starter at best who sometimes pitches over his head.  To me, any and all talk of Shoemaker in the top half of a rotation makes me cringe.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. He didn't have a high prospect grade, but a change to his delivery made him legit. His peripherals have been consistent and he's saved the rotation two out of the last three years. I guess results don't mean as much as your prospect grade.

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

When Shoemaker is on, his sinker is what make him good. If the sinker isn't working, he may as well be throwing batting practice.

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

What is this Shoemaker scouting based on? 

He had a very bad start last year, but leveled out very nicely until he had the liner end his season.

The Angels need SP depth, but aren't getting the Chris Sale's of the world via trade and their isn't a free agent starter worth anything until next offseason, and even then Jake Arrieta is 32. Yu Darvish has a lot of work on his arm, Gio Gonzalez has been underwhelming and Matt Moore is solid if not a star.

Shoemaker provides low cost 30 starts. If he throws up a low 3 ERA, or even a high 3 ERA, is better than anything they'd get for the money. He's an asset. Not something to worry about.

21 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I don't think Ross is going to sign a multi-year deal.  He is going to want to pitch well for a year to re-establish his value and then hit the market healthy for a big payday.  He will be pitching for his contract.  A savy team with an appetite for some risk might tempt him with a two year deal hoping to "steal" him in the second year of the contract if he is pitching well, but that will have to play out.  I just like his upside for a team like the Angels that I think is a little soft at the top of the rotation.

I would love Ross on a 1 year deal, but so would every other team in the league. 

Just now, hangin n wangin said:

That's a little harsh considering Shoemaker has never thrown more than 27 starts or 160 innings in 3 years. Shoemaker has been a pleasant surprise overall for his draft grade, however, he has been the definition of a roller coaster ride.

I don't see an issue with someone being a bit skeptical of him, especially as a top end rotation guy.

I'm just sick of the negativity that surrounds this fanbase. Shoemaker is a legit middle of the rotation starter, that's what he is. Is he their ace? No. Is he their 5th starter? No. Is he a #3/#4 guy if everything goes right? Yes.

Richards/Skaggs/Shoemaker/Nolasco/Chavez is not Price/Sale/Porcello/Bucholz/Pomeranz but it's a decent rotation.

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I'm just sick of the negativity that surrounds this fanbase. Shoemaker is a legit middle of the rotation starter, that's what he is. Is he their ace? No. Is he their 5th starter? No. Is he a #3/#4 guy if everything goes right? Yes.

Richards/Skaggs/Shoemaker/Nolasco/Chavez is not Price/Sale/Porcello/Bucholz/Pomeranz but it's a decent rotation.

Those dream rotations never seem to go as planned.

29 minutes ago, totdprods said:

You know, if the Padres trade Solarte - either to the Angels for 2B or Dodgers for 3B (as has also been rumored) then San Diego could actually be a theoretical fit for Escobar. He would not be a key to the deal, but he could be a team that would take him if the Angels ate some salary.

Wild scenario, Angels sign Turner for 3B, Dodgers trade for his replacement in Solarte, Angels send Smith/Meyer, Perez, and Escobar and money for Asuaje and Hand/Buchter, sign a back-up C and Coco Crisp.

There's a new 3B, 2B, LHRP, C, and 4th OF. Salary that is added is within reason. Losing pitching depth hurts, but that's why we've been building it up, and we get settle the IF for the foreseeable future. And we get back a good reliever.

I forgot to add that this would also take a lot of puzzle pieces falling in a very specific way, but still think it's realistic.

3 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I agree. I see him more as a 3-4 starter. But to be fair, all Dtwncbad said was that he cringes at the thought of him being a top of the rotation starter. Personally, I don't see him as a top of the rotation starter either. Before I declare him that I'm going to need to see him pitch like he did in the second half of last year for one full season, which he hasn't done in his career as a major league starter. No negativity IMO, but more just approaching with caution.

There's much to that to be said with Garret Richards as well. We don't know exactly to expect from him next season and he's only had 1 full season.