• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto gets the last laugh

Mariners are 4 games above .500 and have an outside chance at a playoffs spot.  

Angels are 13 games below .500 and on their way to a protected draft pick. 

Coincidence?  Yes, injuries have been a significant factor for the Halos poor play. Now, I'm not anti-Scioscia, but, I do think that the team may be best suited for a different voice leading the troops.  The team seems to have tuned him out and I'm getting tired of having to turn the page. How many pages are in this book anyway?  I will always be grateful for him leading the franchise to the only championship.  But, It's time for a new skipper. 

14 minutes ago, The God of Runs said:

Coincidence?  Yes, injuries have been a significant factor for the Halos poor play. Now, I'm not anti-Scioscia, but, I do think that the team may be best suited for a different voice leading the troops.  The team seems to have tuned him out and I'm getting tired of having to turn the page. How many pages are in this book anyway?  I will always be grateful for him leading the franchise to the only championship.  But, It's time for a new skipper. 

It's a 162 gave season. There are a lot of pages. Even without the injuries this team isn't talented.

I'm starting to think that he is the main reason the farm has been so mis-managed. He had four drafts, 2012-15, and almost nothing to show for it. Actually, as far as I can tell the only possible star caliber players drafted in his tenure are Sean Newcomb and Jahmai Jones, and both are far from sure things. Other than those two there are very few players who even look to be major league regulars. And of course there is the Roberto Baldoquin debacle. What a travesty that has turned out to be.

I always get a kick out of the speaking for the players. Other than Weaver, Trout and Pujols are the longest tenured Angels on the 25 man roster. Then you get Calhoun for four years and a huge drop-off where everyone else is two years or less.

Let that sink in. This team only had a hand full of guys that have been to more than two spring trainings. 

There is no tired of the same manager except through the fans eyes.

36 minutes ago, The God of Runs said:

I think the three elbow injuries are the difference between where the two teams are in the standings.

Personally I think Scioscia will finish his contract in 2018 and won't be back.  I think he stabilized the organization but i do think the Angels need to reinvent themselves.  If Eppler is still on the job he will pick his manager and we will finally have a GM who is the boss.  Who knows what Arte is going to do?  

7 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I always get a kick out of the speaking for the players. Other than Weaver, Trout and Pujols are the longest tenured Angels on the 25 man roster. Then you get Calhoun for four years and a huge drop-off where everyone else is two years or less.

Let that sink in. This team only had a hand full of guys that have been to more than two spring trainings. 

I completely agree.  

In all honesty, and ive said this before, how much better was dipoto than reagins?...honestly...

We can say reagins inherited a better team, which might be true. But he also had a huge chunk of it leave in 2010. Dipo had trout fall in his lap, and a larger amount of money to spend (initially).

He made horrible moves like the wells trade. And haren for skaggs/corbin was probably boneheaded. But i think he was a little better than dipoto at the offense level.

My point being, i think jerry sold a lot of us because he was the first sabr minded guy we hired, after years of us waiting to catch up with everyone else. What about the end result though? The farm is just as bad if not worse than what dipoto took over. The on field product worse (a lot of that is on arte for not spending after spending too much). But in all honesty, whats his signature move? Conger for trop? ( a good one, but i dont think its a "wowww" one people will talk about someday)

We praise the trumbo trade. Rumor is that was towers' work. He also tried to trade trumbo to the rockies just before that, who knows for who...but after seeing how little he traded him for this winter, who knows.

Chatwood for iannetta was a good one because we were all so sick of mathis. But i think most teams would do that deal. Young cost controlled pitcher for a catcher with warts. 

I dont know. I was team jerry, but i think his rep was more in what we wanted him to be than he who he really was.

I think you guys hit, or implied, the key of the Dipoto mystique: he had an air of confidence and intelligence that didn't translate on the field. To put it another way, he talked a good talk--his whole rap about gradually retooling for the future while maintaining competitiveness in the present--but couldn't seem to actually do it. Plus the other problem is that he didn't really seem to have a good sense of talent: Ward and Baldoquin come most readily to mind.

14 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think you guys hit, or implied, the key of the Dipoto mystique: he had an air of confidence and intelligence that didn't translate on the field. To put it another way, he talked a good talk--his whole rap about gradually retooling for the future while maintaining competitiveness in the present--but couldn't seem to actually do it. Plus the other problem is that he didn't really seem to have a good sense of talent: Ward and Baldoquin come most readily to mind.

This sums it up. I Also think the disaster of Reagins immediately prior to Dipoto helped prop him up a bit as well. Any new GM coming in would look better in comparison to what they just had. Dipoto is a great interview and says all the right things that fans want to hear, but the results weren't much different.

Anyway, Mariners are what? 3 games over .500? I don't see them making the postseason and what has Dipoto even done to improve that team this year? Leonys Martin is the only guy he brought in giving them halfway decent contribution and that's mostly just because of his defense. Cishek was just booted from the closer role for blowing too many games and 2 guys they traded for in the offseason(MIley and Benoit) were traded away at the deadline. Adam Lind and Iannetta stink.

Dipoto asserted his authority by firing Hatcher and promoting Trout in 2012, when the team wasn't hitting the first two months of the season.  I think that was the beginning of the end for JeDi.

I don't know the details of this incident, or even who is at fault because I don't know how it was handled.  

But I do think Scioscia had more power. He was in Year 4 of a 10 year contract. Dipoto had a 3-4 year contract.  I think somebody needed to do something 1/3 into the season.

Dipoto surely wouldn't take the Seattle job without more authority, so I will defer judgment on his talents as a GM until we see how he does with the Mariners.

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

So we've already gone through a complete rebuild and we are no closer to a championship than we were with Reagins. 

1 hour ago, bloodbrother said:

This sums it up. I Also think the disaster of Reagins immediately prior to Dipoto helped prop him up a bit as well. Any new GM coming in would look better in comparison to what they just had. Dipoto is a great interview and says all the right things that fans want to hear, but the results weren't much different.

Anyway, Mariners are what? 3 games over .500? I don't see them making the postseason and what has Dipoto even done to improve that team this year? Leonys Martin is the only guy he brought in giving them halfway decent contribution and that's mostly just because of his defense. Cishek was just booted from the closer role for blowing too many games and 2 guys they traded for in the offseason(MIley and Benoit) were traded away at the deadline. Adam Lind and Iannetta stink.

Fo be fair, dipos gonna have to be given a few more years up there until we can judge him. Same as eppler down here. But agree with the first part totally. Anyone would look great after reagins. The more i look back though, i dont know if reagins was as bad as we made him out to be.

AJ makes a very good point. If we praise dipo for tropeano (which we absolutely should), you cant ignore baldoquin...not just rhat hes not good, but how we blew our wad on him and cant go outside the market for a few years because of it. Stupid, stupid. All the other moves are pretty pedestrian, imo. Trumbo was good at the time, walden bad. Mathis trade good, stud pitching prospect i cant remember for kubitza bad. Street great, grilli great, rest of bullpen horrible. Jepsen bad. Etc etc. None really boosted us anything crazy, none (bullpen aside) sank us. We can blame arte and sosh i guess, but r years is probably a long enough leash to at least replace the bourjos, jepsen, chatwood types we had in the minors or just promoted  when jerry got here.

5 hours ago, The God of Runs said:

Neither are making the playoffs so laugh all he wants.  Only playoff experience Dipoto has is with the Angels.  F the quitter.