• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Does This Convince Moreno To Allow For A Rebuild?

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The payroll is only bloated for another year.  One of the shitty "good news" parts of this, is this will absolutely bring down Richards price tag going forward.  So when Arte was talking about having to think about extensions to players going forward, well who really deserves big money on the current roster.  So after next season, we will be paying Albert, Trout and Simmons.  The team will have over $100 million to spend annually on the rest of the team. 

Not even sure Richards warrants an extension. He's not a FA until 2019 and by that point he'll be 30-31 yrs old and 2 years removed from TJS. Probably best to move along, tag him with the QO and get a draft pick

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Like I said, I have no problem trading Escobar, Street and Smith.  But Calhoun and Simmons are both young and unless the perfect situation is presented, trading either probably doesn't improve the team, short term, or long term.  They don't cost so much that they would open up needed salary space. 

Calhoun's not that young anymore. He'll turn 28 in October. Of course, that means he probably has about 2-3 more "prime" years in him, but his trade value will be limited to contending teams that have an outfield need, possibly due to injury.

Edited by Mark68

30 minutes ago, nando714 said:

Everyone is tradable except Pujols bc of his contract.

This is even more depressing than the Richards injury...having the "Worst Contract in Baseball" black hole in the MOTO until the next decade.

3uRNnARzCtQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

If I was Arte Moreno, I'm ready to go into rebuild mode; but not a 5 year plan, more like a 3 year plan through 2018 that still leaves two years before Trout is a FA.

Count on Richards and Heaney (if also needing TJ surgery later) not being back until mid-2017.   Meantime, make sure the best possible scouts and development coaches are in place and draft well without giving up any 1st round picks, and reinvest in Latin America once the 2 year post-signing Baldoquin moratorium is up.

On the bright side, they may get a really good 1st round pick for each of the next 2 seasons (2017-18).

I think that moratorium is up in either June or July.

1 minute ago, HighDesertHaloFan said:

I think I'd rather be a cellar-dweller than trade Trout, I'm sorry, but guys like him come along once in a lifetime, we need to enjoy him as much as possible before he rocks a NYY uni.

I wouldn't trade Trout, the only way I do is if he is dead set on being traded, then I would move him reluctantly. 

Trade Trout to the Nationals. Imagine that 1-2 punch. They have a very deep farm system that will allow us a good return.

Harper is going to the Yankees in a few years anyway. Nats can replace Harper without missing a beat. 

This will allow the Nats to make their run now.

Trout will be closer to home.

Edited by NJHalo

Why does he need to allow for something we were kind of going through already, albeit slowly?  Anything is possible when the season starts and if the club stayed healthy maybe they make the playoffs but most of us here weren't counting on it.  They already had the worst farm system in baseball and are paying millions to players not on the roster while not wanting to increase payroll.  Sounds like we were already in a small rebuild and now 1 or 2 of our more valuable pieces who could have brought something in via trade or were young enough to help us rebuild may be out for a season or more.  

I don't disagree but whether it's rebuild or retool it was already happening.  If the team were to go full rebuild they would need to trade young productive and/or cost effective players which the Angels were thin on before the Richards and Heaney injuries.  Skaggs still has a lot to prove so he doesn't have much value right now.  That leaves Trout, Calhoun and Simmons off the top of my head.  If anything hopefully we get a few surprises this season from younger guys we weren't expecting much out of.   

3 minutes ago, Angels#1Fan said:

It's never been easy being an Angel fan and it just got harder.

Very true. But like most of us long time Angels fans, we've endured tougher times. 

It was the 90's that brought a lot of us older dudes to interact with other Angels fans on the web via bulletin boards, forums etc. We needed a place to vent, bitch, moan and groan... and talk about the victories and hope for the future with regards to the minor leaguers/prospects. 

Just now, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

If anything hopefully we get a few surprises this season from younger guys we weren't expecting much out of.   

This is the only hope for the Angels this season. They need the good fortune to have a couple of guys emerge from the minors that will either over perform (ala Shoemaker in 2014) and or maybe sign Lincecum and hope he has something left. On top of that Santiago has to continue to pitch well and C.J. Wilson needs to return and be effective. That's a lot of things that need to go the Angels way. 

Now the fans have one reason to watch this team and Arte knows it.  

But I don't think this changes his mindset at all.  We aren't trading the golden goose.  They'll use the injury excuse and sell off impending FA's at the deadline, but essentially keep everyone else.  

1 hour ago, nando714 said:

How do you rebuild without trading Trout? Why surround a bunch of aaa/aaaa players around trout. 

Have the balls blow the whole thing up and start over. 

Everyone is tradable except Pujols bc of his contract.

yup.