• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

Things could get interesting this winter and next trade deadline, assuming Upton chooses to stay or we resign him. That would mean the Angels would likely be forced to choose between Calhoun and Hermosillo (they'll choose Calhoun). They may also use the crowded OF to justify holding Jones in the Cal League next season despite his performance there. Similar to what happened with Herm this year.

Thursday, August 31st, 2017
Salt Lake (71-67)
 lost 2-3 vs. Tacoma (66-72)
David Fletcher: 2-4, RBI, K, E (3) - hitting .318 in last 10 games, boosted average from .224 back up to .251 in last week
Michael Hermosillo: 1-4, K, CS (2) - hitting .316 in last 10 games
Zach Houchins (AAA Debut): 2-3, R, 3B, K - could put up some big numbers in PCL
Branden Pinder: IP, H, 2 R, 0 ER, K
Deolis Guerra: 0.1 IP, 2 H, ER, BB
Someone who could be skyrocketing into the pitching depth...
Osmer Morales: 6.2 IP, 2 H, 3 BB, 4 K - he's started 9 games at SLC now: 50.1 IP, 3.22 ERA, .231 BAA, 1.27 WHIP, 21 BB, 40 K

Mobile (63-72) lost 2-5 vs. Biloxi (68-65)
Brennon Lund: 1-4, K
Matt Thaiss: 0-3, BB
Taylor Ward: 1-4, R
Jose Rojas: 2-4, 2 2B, RBI, K
Zach Gibbons: 2-4, R, 2B, K, OF assist
Alex Klonowski: 6.2 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, BB, 6 K
Jeremy Rhoades: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 2 K

Inland Empire (64-72) won 5-3 vs. San Jose (61-75)
Jahmai Jones: 1-3, R, BB, K
Keith Grieshaber: 2-4, R, 2B, 3 RBI, 2 E (1)
Joe Gatto: 5.2 IP, 4 H, ER, 3 BB, 3 K - in 6 starts at IE: 32.1 IP, 3.34 ERA, .258 BAA, 1.39 WHIP, 14 BB, 23 K, only 1 HRA

Burlington (58-77) lost 8-9 in 10 innings vs. Cedar Rapids (74-62)
Leonardo Rivas: 1-4, RBI, BB, K
Jonah Todd: 1-6, RBI, 2 K
Richard Fecteau: 2-6, R, 3B, 2 K
Brandon Sandoval: 3-6, R
Brennan Morgan: 2-6, 2 R, RBI, 3 K
Artemis Kadkhodaian: 3-4, R, 2 RBI, K, SB (8)
Stephen Kerr: 2-4, R, 2B, 2 RBI, BB, K
Luis Madero: 4.2 IP, 12 H, 8 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, HR - Ouch. 
Carlos Salazar: 2.1 IP, H, 2 BB, 4 K

Orem (44-22) won 11-5 vs. Ogden (42-25)
Jo Adell: 2-4, R, 2 RBI, BB, K, CS (1) - between AZL/Orem, 43 G, 175 AB: .314/.366/.537/.904 with 23 XBH, 13 BB, 42 K, 7 SB
Torii Hunter: 2-3, R, 2 RBI, 2 BB, K - in his first pro season, 46 G, 185 AB: .341/.425/.432/.857 with 12 XBH, 21 BB, 39 K, 11 SB
Brandon Marsh: 3-4, R, 3B (4), 3 RBI - in his first pro season, 32 G, 144 AB: .375/.417/.583/1.000 with 18 XBH, 8 BB, 28 K, 8 SB
Harrison Wenson: 0-3, R, BB, K
Ryan Vega: 1-5, RBI
Julio Garcia: 1-5, R, 2 K
James Ziemba: 2 IP, 3 H, ER
Isaac Mattson: 2.1 IP, H, BB, 6 K - blistering season - in 29.1 IP at AZL/Orem: 1.23 ERA, .176 BAA, 0.99 WHIP, 11 BB, 45 K
He's old for the league and struggled terribly when bumped up to Burlington (.492 OPS in 48 games), but hard to ignore the numbers from....
Jeyson Sanchez: 3-5, 2 R, 2B, RBI, K - in 22 games and 85 at-bats, he's hit 9 doubles, 12 home runs, driven in 37 runs, and slashing .412/.469/.941/1.410. Was a catcher and has been seemingly transitioning to 1B/3B, maybe that's why his offense has improved? Probably only a product of his environment, but interested to see if he could carve a Shawn Wooten-esque career out of this.

AZL Angels (29-26) lost 2-9 vs. AZL Cubs (24-31)
Jacob Pearson: 2-5, R, K
Zane Gurwitz: 4-5, RBI, CS (2)
Brendon Sanger (rehab): 0-4, K
Nonie Williams: 0-4, 3 K
Jimmy Barnes: 1-3, R, 2B, BB, 2 K
Gleyvin Pineda: 2-2, 2B, BB
Jose Natera: 2 IP, 6 H, 5 ER, 2 BB, K
Stiward Aquino (2nd AZL game): 1.2 IP, H, 4 BB, pick-off

Love seeing Angels farmhands getting some recognition...

Not gonna lie I laughed a bit when I saw these two names....  

11. Freddy Peralta, RHP, Brewers (21)
Double-A Biloxi

3578.png

The 5-foot-11, 175-pound Peralta has what scouts call a “disappearing fastball," a combination of solid low-90s velocity, deception and ease of operation that elicits swings and misses and weak contact from his heater. He's ridden control of that fastball to a monster season, including a 0.40 ERA in 22.1 August innings. He's up to 12.7 strikeouts per nine over 114 innings, and his 161 strikeouts rank 10th in the minors.

4. Luiz Gohara, LHP, Braves (21)

Gwinnett Braves

3047.png
Ronald Acuna isn't the only young sensation on the Triple-A Braves. Gohara has made a career-high 25 starts this season, tracked with Acuna through three levels and earned some CC Sabathia comparisons for his combination of size (he's bigger than his listed 6-foot-3, 210 pounds), lefthandedness and easy velocity, sitting 94 mph and up to 98 at his best fastball. With his feel for pitching and ability to manipulate the breaking ball, Gohara has the upside of a playoff rotation starter.

Peralta was one of three pitching prospects Dipoto traded away for one year of Adam Lind.  Gohara was one of two prospects traded away for Shae Simmons and Mallex Smith.  Simmons missed the season with an injury -- Smith was traded with others for Drew Smyly who has missed the year and isn't likely to every throw a pitch for the Mariners...   

Gohara, Peralta, and Litell https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=littel000zac are all gone and the only thing they have to show for them ... James Pazos and Shae Simmons.  One a middle reliever with a 1.4 career WHIP.... the other one has managed 7 MLB appearances since his TJ surgery in 2015.

@Scotty@AW, don't be so sure they'll choose Calhoun over Herm. Not only does Kole have more trade value, but he's a lot more expensive. I think who they keep will depend upon how Herm develops. But unless the Angels are out of contention next July, they won't trade Kole until the offseason, so barring an injury Herm will spend most of next year in Salt Lake.

Real quick. who is your top-5 to 10 Angels prospects right now off the top of your head. 

Here's mine...

1. Jo Adell

2. Jahmai Jones

3. Jaime Barria

4. Brandon Marsh

5. Matt Thaiss

6. Griffin Canning

7. Michael Hermosillo

8. Leo Rivas

9. Taylor Ward

10. Elvin Rodriguez

Tons to consider for the spot at #10, but I went with the youngest most live arm who has also seen results.

Thoughts?

15 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

@Scotty@AW, don't be so sure they'll choose Calhoun over Herm. Not only does Kole have more trade value, but he's a lot more expensive. I think who they keep will depend upon how Herm develops. But unless the Angels are out of contention next July, they won't trade Kole until the offseason, so barring an injury Herm will spend most of next year in Salt Lake.

If Upton says it will be interesting to see what they do with Kole. I doubt they move him this offseason but I do see Kole having Adam Eaton-lite value with his solid all around game and team-friendly contract. 

12 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Real quick. who is your top-5 to 10 Angels prospects right now off the top of your head. 

Here's mine...

1. Jo Adell

2. Jahmai Jones

3. Jaime Barria

4. Brandon Marsh

5. Matt Thaiss

6. Griffin Canning

7. Michael Hermosillo

8. Leo Rivas

9. Taylor Ward

10. Elvin Rodriguez

Tons to consider for the spot at #10, but I went with the youngest most live arm who has also seen results.

Thoughts?

When all is said and done Torri Jr will surprise everyone. Great athlete resurrecting baseball skills after a lay-off for FB, and bloodline.

3 minutes ago, Dick B Back said:

When all is said and done Torri Jr will surprise everyone. Great athlete resurrecting baseball skills after a lay-off for FB, and bloodline.

I agree. There are a bunch of outfield options. Hunter, Lund, Gibbons, Sandoval, Montgomery, Flores... there's more I'm missing. 

On the SP side, you got Pena, Morales, Gatto, Castillo, Jewel, Lamb and Jose Suarez. 

My personal Top 10:
1) Jahmai Jones
2) Matt Thaiss
3) Jaime Barria
4) Jo Adell
5) Michael Hermosillo
6) Taylor Ward
7) David Fletcher
8) Jose Rojas
9) Leonardo Rivas
10) Brennon Lund

I tend to weigh my Top 10 rankings more on how close they are to contributing and their actual production a little more than upside. I would have listed Grayson Long at #6. My next tier, the #10-20, would be prospects whose upside I'd put more weight on versus their MLB-readiness and production, such as Suarez, Castillo, the three Rodriguez pitchers, Williams, Pearson, etc.. If I was filling out a Top 30, I'd break my #20-30 into prospects who may not have much pedigree but are either closer to the bigs (Hofacket, Houchins) or just flat-out are producing, even if at lower levels, while still holding some 'prospect' value (Vega, Hunter, Fecteau, Bertness)

49 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Top 5 best overall prospects

1 - Jo Adell
2 - Jahmai Jones
3 - Brandon Marsh
4 - Jaime Barria
5 - Elvin Rodriguez/Jose Soriano

Top 5 closest to MLB

1 - Barria
2 - Hermosillo
3 - Thaiss
4 - Ward
5 - Fletcher

As others have said -- I think Hunter Jr is a bit of a wild card.   More importantly --  there are a lot more guys that merit top 5 consideration than in the past, when both talking about projection or probability.   I stuck to top 5s because IMO, 6-10 is actually a crowded conversation these days.

World of difference.

40 minutes ago, totdprods said:

If Upton says it will be interesting to see what they do with Kole. I doubt they move him this offseason but I do see Kole having Adam Eaton-lite value with his solid all around game and team-friendly contract. 

I would be quite surprised if they moved Calhoun until after his last full year of contractual control. There is no need to move him unless we are desperately short in another area and they think Hermosillo is ready (and by they I mean the Angels front office).

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

The most important part of this exercise is that I feel like we now have 10 legitimate prospects who have a good shot at becoming solid major leaguers, with a whole bunch just outside the top 10 who could become equally as good as those in the top 10. 

Absolutely. And I think you can go even ten further of true wild card prospects, such as Hunter, Vega, Pina, Garcia, Rivera, Yan...