• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

1 minute ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I'm impressed with what Suarez has done. He might be short but at 19 years old he's striking out 11.8 batters per 9 innings in A ball. 

Jose Suarez, Jose Soriano, Hector Yan,  Elvin Rodriguez...     We haven't had a collection of 18/19 year old arms that were both that good and projectable in eons...   They won't all pan out obviously but at least we have a selection of guys to fail as starters and end up being solid RPs...  

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

The most important part of this exercise is that I feel like we now have 10 legitimate prospects who have a good shot at becoming solid major leaguers, with a whole bunch just outside the top 10 who could become equally as good as those in the top 10. 

Yeah I don't know if it's because I visit this thread a lot and see the usual names, but I think the top 5-8 or so guys in the system are legitimate prospects

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Jose Suarez, Jose Soriano, Hector Yan,  Elvin Rodriguez...     We haven't had a collection of 18/19 year old arms that were both that good and projectable in eons...   They won't all pan out obviously but at least we have a selection of guys to fail as starters and end up being solid RPs...  

Chris Rodriguez too. He hasn't seen the results yet but the upside is there.

Just now, m0nkey said:

Yeah I don't know if it's because I visit this thread a lot and see the usual names, but I think the top 5-8 or so guys in the system are legitimate prospects

It's no longer just us ..   Fangraphs prospect chat a couple weeks ago was talking about the Angels and their sudden riches of projectable Latin American arms...    There are guys sneaking into the BBA hot lists much more regularly...

This team is still a couple years away from real depth -- but it's no longer barren and we as fans are no longer looking at one guy and putting all our hopes on them because if they flame out -- it's RIP time.

1 minute ago, ettin said:

I would be quite surprised if they moved Calhoun until after his last full year of contractual control. There is no need to move him unless we are desperately short in another area and they think Hermosillo is ready (and by they I mean the Angels front office).

Maybe...markets change year to year but we're seeing now that vets with a year or less or control don't have much value. Kole was pretty hard to watch first half of this year too.

If Hermosillo gets some MLB action next year and holds his own (and if Upton stays of course) and Jones has a good 2018 at AA, maybe getting a taste of AAA or even the bigs in Sept, I could see them checking what they'd get for Calhoun while he still has some control and contract value and going with Herm/Jones/stopgap in '19. 

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Chris Rodriguez too. He hasn't seen the results yet but the upside is there.

Cole Deunsing (sp), there are a few others.  I mentioned those others by name because they are the lesser known Latin American guys -- but they are turning heads....    Like you said -- a really good mix of floor vs ceiling now.

The great part about having some pitching depth on the way is that you no longer have to go pay 10-15 million for #4-5 starters in free agency. Instead, you can pay 20-25 million for an ace if you really feel like you need it (Heaney/Skaggs/Richards injury question marks). 

Not having to pay big money for mediocre talent is the best thing about Eppler's reign as GM so far. Dipoto and Reagins were so bad at building the farm that he we were forced into acquiring Blanton/Hanson (RIP) type pitchers all the time

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Cole Deunsing (sp), there are a few others.  I mentioned those others by name because they are the lesser known Latin American guys -- but they are turning heads....    Like you said -- a really good mix of floor vs ceiling now.

They also had a couple nice Latin pickups in the draft this year.

This org is getting better every year. Assuming we don't trade away the farm this team could easily have a top 10 system in 3 years.

I think it's interesting, the affect having a farm system plays on the approach of a fan. When the system isn't as deep as it needs to be, there tends to be a specific hope on one prospect working out, and if it doesn't happen, it's devastating. But when you have multiple options, you're free to admit that some won't pan out and that won't be such a big deal because you have enough prospects that some will and make up for the ones that don't.

For example, we all really like Jahmai Jones. It would suck if he didn't grow into the borderline star we think he could be. But if it doesn't work out and he just ends up being a reserve outfielder, that's ok,, we still have Adell, Marsh, Herm, Hunter, Pearson, etc...and at least one of them should be good.

It also plays a role in trades. Two years ago if we traded a Grayson Long caliber pitcher in AAA for what might be a rental, if lose it. Similar to what happened when we acquired Simmons. But now that we have a system in place, losing Long sucks, but it's ok because we have so many pitchers at the major league level, Eppler has proven his ability to unearth unexpectedly good pitchers, and we have prospects like Barria, Canning and the two Rodriguez's.

I'm going to go right out and say it: I disagree that the Angels farm is still not deep - I think it has depth, it just isn't actualized depth yet. By that I mean that there are now plenty of good upside prospects at a range of positions, but it is still "bottom heavy" - meaning most of it is pooled in Rookie/A/A+. The main weakness remains power bats.

The depth will become much more actualized and noticeable next year, as those projectible arms start playing full season ball and at least some of them start doing well; and also when we start seeing the many outfielders go up the ranks.

25 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm going to go right out and say it: I disagree that the Angels farm is still not deep - I think it has depth, it just isn't actualized depth yet. By that I mean that there are now plenty of good upside prospects at a range of positions, but it is still "bottom heavy" - meaning most of it is pooled in Rookie/A/A+. The main weakness remains power bats.

The depth will become much more actualized and noticeable next year, as those projectible arms start playing full season ball and at least some of them start doing well; and also when we start seeing the many outfielders go up the ranks.

AJ, of course you're right..   A team doesnt lose 5 SP and 3 RPs for an extended period of time and stay in contention without depth.   I think the reason there is still talk about the Angels lacking depth is because they don't view guys like Scribner as depth...      Matt Shoemaker wasn't considered depth.   Nick Tropeano led the PCL in ERA and wasn't considered a prospect by many so he wasn't seen as depth -- at least not by pundits and minor league analysts...    I think the one thing we have a much better gauge on in year two of Eppler's tenure is his ability to create depth without expending a ton of resources..

I thin Ettin, or possible Dochalo have talked about it at times -- but I fully believe the Angels' Saber-team has found something they believe translates well and that is currently being undervalued by other teams.   They have hit on too many cast offs for it to just be luck.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

AJ, of course you're right..   A team doesnt lose 5 SP and 3 RPs for an extended period of time and stay in contention without depth.   I think the reason there is still talk about the Angels lacking depth is because they don't view guys like Scribner as depth...      Matt Shoemaker wasn't considered depth.   Nick Tropeano led the PCL in ERA and wasn't considered a prospect by many so he wasn't seen as depth -- at least not by pundits and minor league analysts...    I think the one thing we have a much better gauge on in year two of Eppler's tenure is his ability to create depth without expending a ton of resources..

I thin Ettin, or possible Dochalo have talked about it at times -- but I fully believe the Angels' Saber-team has found something they believe translates well and that is currently being undervalued by other teams.   They have hit on too many cast offs for it to just be luck.

I hear you and agree. I suppose it depends upon what is meant by "depth." If one means "players in the high minors that can fill in for injured major leaguers," then the Angels farm is still pretty shallow - but getting deeper. If one means "a wealth of projectible prospects at a range of positions," then I think the farm is no longer shallow.

For the first time in a long time I am having a hard time keeping track.  I used to be able to rail off anyone and everyone who hat a shot at doing anything.   And I'm still paying as much attention as I used too.  Right now, I couldn't tell you a damn thing about the DSL team.  I have basically ignored it because there are too many other players to follow.  

My current top 10:

Jones

Adell

Marsh

Barria

Luis Pena (I think he figured something out and is going to light things up going forward).   

Thaiss

Ward

Hermosillo

Jesus Castillo

Jordan Zimmermann

My top 5 guys not to forget about:

Joe Gatto

Jared Walsh

Zach Houchins

Jose Rojas

Jake Jewell