• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Freese Signs With Pirates 1 Year 3 Million

SigBaby

It is also an assumption that Giavotella can play 2B. His 2015 defensive performance was completely unacceptable.

So the Angels should spend another $3mm so they can have two players that can't play 2b?  In what world does that make sense?

From what I saw last year, Freese was fine with making plays on balls hit at him, it was his range that was an issue. It would serve the defense best obviously to have range at 2nd and 3rd but with the presence of Simmons, we can afford to have a less mobile third baseman who simply makes the plays on balls hit to him. It would've been best served to have a rangy second baseman which Gia is not and Escobar could be given his experience at shortstop.

LOL at the posters here that wanted the Angels to give him a qualifying offer.  Talk about overvaluing your own player.

I didn't weigh in on this either way. But making a QO to Freese didn't mean he would take it. Provided he didn't take it then it would have been smart to offer him. From what I've seen players tend to over estimate what they will get. It's not unreasonable to think Freese believed he'd get 3/25 and rejected the QO.

So we gave away one of our best young relievers in Gott for Escobar, who costs 7 million and can't play defense at third base, instead of just giving Freese 3-4 million.

Makes sense.

How do you know Freese was willing to accept a one-year $3m contract back in December when the Escobar trade occurred? Realistically, he wasn't. Freese's agent was still looking for something more like 3/30 back then. 

Having Freese would have been a nice depth piece for sure at that price.  

He could play third with Escobar at 2b.  

Escobar can also play an adequate SS if Simmons got hurt.  

Freese could also probably play a better 1b than Cron and if Pujols got/stayed hurt it would help. 

He could DH if Cron's bat didn't play.  

in other words, with Albert's health, Cron's bat and defense, and Gia's defense all being question marks, he would be a nice back up plan for any of those at 3mil.  

Worst case is that you don't need him and you can move him for some minor league depth or a fringe bullpen arm.  Something that could have added value to the org.  

The only downside as I see it, is that it would have made the likelihood of Choi sticking on the 25man unlikely.  

Wow, this signing has all the signs of a desperate player.  I can imagine the calls that his agent was making to all the clubs before he signed.

The call probably started off with the agent saying something like "Please, make us an offer and don't be afraid that it's too low or insulting.  We're willing to entertain any offer."