• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Freese Signs With Pirates 1 Year 3 Million

SigBaby

The Angels are already committed to Escobar at 3rd like I said. Bringing Freese back would be just as much a luxury as a necessity, so his price wouldn't have gone up. Maybe the Angels offer him 4 million but that's it.

Also, 3-4 million isn't exactly a large amount of cash saved. Not going to make a big difference. Besides, we have plenty of weaknesses already "identified" and that cash saved won't put a dent in it.

Do you not think Freese/Escobar is better than Escobar/Gia?

How have they identified the weaknesses when they haven't played a game yet?

How have they identified the weaknesses when they haven't played a game yet?

This team has weaknesses up the ass. LF, 2B, bullpen, front end of the rotation. Saving a couple million for holes that we don't know about yet seems kind of dumb when we have plenty of holes we do know about.

After you make the trade for a new car do you months later keep trying to make a deal for the one you didn't want?

They didn't want Freese?

Also, the car analogy is poopy. It's more like they settled for a used car that wasn't their first choice, but one they still liked. When their first choice became reasonably priced they would have gotten that one and given the used car to their wife. Along with her other 24 cars.

What a poopy analogy. Just poop!

This team has weaknesses up the ass. LF, 2B, bullpen, front end of the rotation. Saving a couple million for holes that we don't know about yet seems kind of dumb when we have plenty of holes we do know about.

Nava has the 14th best OPS of all left fielders in Spring Training.

Giovatella the 10th best OPS of all qualified 2nd baseman in Spring Training.

They didn't want Freese?

Also, the car analogy is poopy. It's more like they settled for a used car that wasn't their first choice, but one they still liked. When their first choice became reasonably priced they would have gotten that one and given the used car to their wife. Along with her other 24 cars.

What a poopy analogy. Just poop!

Obviously they didn't want David Freese otherwise he would have been on the roster when all players reported.

You guys are over valuing Freese just to whine about another player the Angels didn't sign. He was not worth what he wanted before the Angels made the commitment to Escobar, he is still of no value on a team with a set and cohesive 25 man roster. There is no one on the current roster I would dump to put David Freese's limited skill set back on the roster.

There is no one on the current roster I would dump to put David Freese's limited skill set back on the roster.

Then you are legitimately insane.

I was always a pretty big critic of Freese, I sure as hell do not overvalue him. But given our team is overloaded with holes, he could have seen us significantly upgrade a position and cost the MLB version of pocket change there is a very strong argument to make that we should have signed him. Freese at 3B and Escobar at 2B is vastly better than Escobar at 3B and Giavotella at 2B. A few hyperbolic statements not backed up by anything don't change that, especially when a big part of your argument relates to Freese's defensive shortcomings and you ignore the fact Giavotella is worse at 2B by a long way while Freese is at third.

You have literally become Lifetime.

I said nothing about ST stats. The only stats that matter are the ones during the actual season. The ones that show Nava and Gentry have been horrific the last couple years. The ones that show that Gia is a replacement level player.

And David Freese had a 109 OPS+ last year. As well as a 2.3 WAR. Escobar managed a 1.9 WAR. You don't think Freese would help the team? Wait don't answer that. Of course you do. But saying so would imply the FO made a mistake and go against your contrarian character.

BTW Freese is a better defensive 3rd baseman than Escobar. You can choose to ignore that if that's your prerogative.

Nava has the 14th best OPS of all left fielders in Spring Training.

Giovatella the 10th best OPS of all qualified 2nd baseman in Spring Training.

Good post TrollDaddy.

At least make an effort. I'm open to the idea that I could be wrong about this but the quality of your posts in this thread is not going to convince any one.

Then you are legitimately insane.

I was always a pretty big critic of Freese, I sure as hell do not overvalue him. But given our team is overloaded with holes, he could have seen us significantly upgrade a position and cost the MLB version of pocket change there is a very strong argument to make that we should have signed him. Freese at 3B and Escobar at 2B is vastly better than Escobar at 3B and Giavotella at 2B. A few hyperbolic statements not backed up by anything don't change that, especially when a big part of your argument relates to Freese's defensive shortcomings and you ignore the fact Giavotella is worse at 2B by a long way while Freese is at third.

You haven't said who you would drop from the 25 man roster to accomodate putting Freese's poor defense, marginal hitting and slo on the basepaths running.

He doesn't improve the Angels as the roster is assembled. He just shifts a more productive into less late inning substitution choices into a box.

Sorry but Freese makes the team better. the team played better with him last year than without him. Is he great, of course not. But if Escobar was able to play 2nd better than Gia defensively, which we don't know, then Freese at 3rd would have been an upgrade.

Well I disagree because he certainly wasn't all that good last season. The Angels roster was shit last season and all Freese was is a cleaner peanut in the poo. But the roster they have now Freese actually reduces the value by sticking his for shit glove snd obp back into the lineup and pushes you guys scapegoat off the roster.

Except the scapegoat and Escobar bring more value simply because both a playing their positions and offer more roster flexibility when it come to late inning replacements. We have a better bench with out Freese. With Freese you are pulling his ass every late and close game because his defense is sub par.

So you guys can keep going with the asinine lifetime comments but your whole argument is based on your predjudice towards Giavotella instead of what better serves the team as a whole.

We may dissagree on this point but it seems Eppler doesn't see your side at all, either. I guess he may be insane as well according to Oz's pov.

Edited by notti

Good post TrollDaddy.

At least make an effort. I'm open to the idea that I could be wrong about this but the quality of your posts in this thread is not going to convince any one.

If you guts are mailing it in for critical thinking why should I bother?

Well I disagree because he certainly wasn't all that good last season. The Angels roster was shit last season and all Freese was is a cleaner peanut in the poo. But the roster they have now Freese actually reduces the value by sticking his for shit glove snd obp back into the lineup and pushes you guys scapegoat off the roster.

Except the scapegoat and Escobar bring more value simply because both a playing their positions and offer more roster flexibility when it come to late inning replacements. We have a better bench with out Freese. With Freese you are pulling his ass every late and close game because his defense is sub par.

So you guys can keep going with the asinine lifetime comments but your whole argument is based on your predjudice towards Giavotella instead of what better serves the team as a whole.

We may dissagree on this point but it seems Eppler doesn't see your side at all, either. I guess he may be insane as well according to Oz's pov.

He's a better offensive player than Gia. All three are bad defensively. So when you talk about pulling Freese every game late, well if that's going to happen then you HAVE to pull Escobar because he is equally bad. One thing I will say is Gia has a chance to improve defensively, while Freese doesn't.

No, he really isn't because freese doesn't play a defensive critical position and as such he fielding opportunities are fewer. Shifting Escobar to 2nd is irresponsible because he doesn't play that position and you are doing on the job training in season reducing the effectiveness now up the middle insread of just on the corners. Now you have two late inning replacements.

Hey, guess what, the guys with more data and use all the calculator function keys figured this out already and went with Gia and his improved D from offseason workouts to make this call.

Edited by notti

Right or wrong, they moved off of Freese when he set his contract demands above where they wanted to go.  It sucks they didn't see a way of fitting him into their plans once those demands cratered, but whatever... Apparently three subpar defensive IFers was their limit, adding another might weaken them all by virtue of being forced to play one the entire game in lieu of a defensive replacement..   BTW, lol at fretting over what they gave up to get Escobar while similarly glossing over what it cost to get Freese.  

I don't have any prejudice towards Giavotella other than he's a piss poor defensive player.  But if you're having to pick between starting Escobar/Gia or Freese/Escobar I'm not sure you're losing all that much.  That being said, a person could also argue that a guy like Freese could be traded off at the deadline although I've not looked to see if any comparable players have been moved in recent years, or what they have brought in.