• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Freese Signs With Pirates 1 Year 3 Million

SigBaby

How do you know Freese was willing to accept a one-year $3m contract back in December when the Escobar trade occurred? Realistically, he wasn't. Freese's agent was still looking for something more like 3/30 back then.

Exactly.

At the start of the off season the Angels were talking to Freese's agent but obviously the numbers were far from 1 year $3 million. To act like the Angels made a mistake not waiting until the second week of spring training to scoop him up that cheap is sheer idiocy.

Exactly.

If you sign Freese, even at $3 mil, you've committed to the Him at 3rd and Escobar at 2nd with Pennington as the late inning defensive caddy. Doing that and blocking Cowart and Kubitza and making Gia a non-factor paints you into another 30 something unathletic box packed full of RH bats that are nothing special. If this is truly the lost season so many assume it is it makes no sense to bring Freese back and not give anyone a chance to prove himself for 2017 and beyond.

The problem is a lack of direction. This team isn't playing for now or for the future. Freese at $5 million would be a nice upgrade for this team at a marginal cost. Cowart and Kubitza aren't going to play anyway, and if you are really concerned about the development of Giavoltella then you don't have your priorities straight. If the team was worried about those things then they shouldn't be trading away other young players to keep these guys out of the lineup.

From what I saw last year, Freese was fine with making plays on balls hit at him, it was his range that was an issue. It would serve the defense best obviously to have range at 2nd and 3rd but with the presence of Simmons, we can afford to have a less mobile third baseman who simply makes the plays on balls hit to him. It would've been best served to have a rangy second baseman which Gia is not and Escobar could be given his experience at shortstop.

But, we picked up Simmons who has Range out the Wazoo!!!!

The problem is a lack of direction. This team isn't playing for now or for the future. Freese at $5 million would be a nice upgrade for this team at a marginal cost. Cowart and Kubitza aren't going to play anyway, and if you are really concerned about the development of Giavoltella then you don't have your priorities straight. If the team was worried about those things then they shouldn't be trading away other young players to keep these guys out of the lineup.

Where do you pull a $5 million number from?

You summed this up very well. Even at 2/$10mil Freese still would have been a bargain for us, a good upgrade and a decent trade chip for if we stink. If we were rebuilding, then it would be a race. But we are seeming trying to contend (albeit poorly), therefore I don't understand why we are letting a pretty easy chance to help us do so slip by.

He wasn't agreeing to that before the Angels had to make a decision. Why is that so hard for you guys to understand? Because Freese and his agent felt his value was at or above his last year's salary and looking for multiple years he took himself out of the Angels plans. So quit with the scenarios that were never possible.

He wasn't agreeing to that before the Angels had to make a decision. Why is that so hard for you guys to understand? Because Freese and his agent felt his value was at or above his last year's salary and looking for multiple years he took himself out of the Angels plans. So quit with the scenarios that were never possible.

You don't think he'd take $5m from the Angels last week?

Last week was two months late!

Just because you keep saying something, it doesn't make it any less ridiculous. I, and others, are saying he still would have been a good signing for the Angels this week. We don't have a legitimate MLB-level second baseman besides Escobar, so signing Freese for 3B and moving Escobar to 2B would have improved our team significantly.

Just because you keep saying something, it doesn't make it any less ridiculous. I, and others, are saying he still would have been a good signing for the Angels this week. We don't have a legitimate MLB-level second baseman besides Escobar, so signing Freese for 3B and moving Escobar to 2B would have improved our team significantly.

I would wager that he'd be about a 1 win upgrade over Gia, moving Escobar to second. $3-5 million is a good value when teams are paying around $8m per win in the FA market. No doubt it's a luxury move, much like how the Dodgers resigned Kendrick when they didn't really need him but could get him for cheap.

You probably should have given up after the beating you took with your first logical failure. And yet you pursue the same failed path.

1. Look at who is agreeing with you. LOL

2. Look at the beating you just took.

3. Fail

At the start of the off season the Angels were talking to Freese's agent but obviously the numbers were far from 1 year $3 million. To act like the Angels made a mistake not waiting until the second week of spring training to scoop him up that cheap is sheer idiocy.

They made a mistake if they didn't attempt to reopen negotiations with his agent seeing as he was still available.

Maybe they did and talks didn't go anywhere. But if they didn't they're stupid.

I guess what seems obvious to me is that the Angels having filled their 3rd base position is what dropped his market. If they were in the market his price is higher. And they still have cash to use once an actual weakness is identified on the field.

At this point I would equate Escobar/cash in hand >>>>>Gott/Freese

The Angels are already committed to Escobar at 3rd like I said. Bringing Freese back would be just as much a luxury as a necessity, so his price wouldn't have gone up. Maybe the Angels offer him 4 million but that's it.

Also, 3-4 million isn't exactly a large amount of cash saved. Not going to make a big difference. Besides, we have plenty of weaknesses already "identified" and that cash saved won't put a dent in it.

Do you not think Freese/Escobar is better than Escobar/Gia?

Why? You don't think he would improve this team right now?

No, I don't. I think you guys glorify the true mediocrity that was David Freese. I think Eppler and his people see a clearer path without another oft injured over 30 slo reactions, poor fielder prone to slo starts.

You and others are wrong.

They made a mistake if they didn't attempt to reopen negotiations with his agent seeing as he was still available.

Maybe they did and talks didn't go anywhere. But if they didn't they're stupid.

After you make the trade for a new car do you months later keep trying to make a deal for the one you didn't want?