• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels after Cespedes?

Via New York Daily news on Twitter: @FeisandNYDN: Hearing Angels may make a run at Cespedes. He's Roc Nation's second major MLB FA (Cano) but agent Kyle Thousand should have several suitors.

Not sure how credible this guy is but I can't say I'm thrilled with Cespedes being the target over Upton or Heyward. Don't like throwing another 100 million at a guy on the wrong side of 30.  Seems we should have learned our lesson by now.  If we don't have a chance on Upton or Heyward, this is solid. 

If we're going big (and I'm not convinced we are), I'd rather pay Cespedes or Upton 100 million than Heyward 200 million....I'd rather have Heyward the player but not for 100 million more...

what if heyward had a 4 year opt out? because he's probably going to. think like the dodgers, they got the best years from greinke. greinke is still going to be great for a few years at least, but the dodgers got no downside from that contract.

Lets see

Hes 30 years old

He strikes out a lot, and he has a terrible OBP

100 % of his game is dependent upon his athleticism,

He plays golf every day before every game, and refuses to quit

Hes already starting to have injury problems 

Yep, seems like an ideal target.

With that said, I probably wouldnt even mind if we signed him, mainly because im a fond believer of "its not my money."  He might have 1 or 2 more All Star seasons in him, and I want a World Series title now, so I can live with the other 8 seasons being terrible.

Edited by QuinlansMinion

I wouldn't be broken up about having him, but im pretty convinced this gonna be a terrible contract after 2 or 3 years.  The guy has zero plate discipline.  Obviously Heyward or Upton over him, but I'd take Gorden over him as well.  I'm just not a big fan of the player.  I find it hard to take this seriously anyway, they "may" take a run at him.  Just seems like a writer throwing stuff out there to get clicks.

I'm starting to believe I'd like Gordon better, but only for fours years, with the 5th an option year.  I'm really more interested to see what they can do to pick up a couple of lock down relievers, lefty and righty.  I know they have to get someone to play left field, but after last year bozo the clown would be a welcome improvement.

I wouldn't be broken up about having him, but im pretty convinced this gonna be a terrible contract after 2 or 3 years.  The guy has zero plate discipline.  Obviously Heyward or Upton over him, but I'd take Gorden over him as well.  I'm just not a big fan of the player.  I find it hard to take this seriously anyway, they "may" take a run at him.  Just seems like a writer throwing stuff out there to get clicks.

Agreed. Out of the big 4, Cespedes is the last guy I'd want. All or nothing hitters just don't age well

Heyward

Upton

Gordon

Cespedes

that's how I rank it personally

I am not sure that Heyward is even an all star level player. I can't see signing a guy like that for over 200 mil. Having said that I am not a big fan of Cespedes either.

He's been a top 5 outfielder in MLB per WAR over the past three seasons only behind guys like Trout, Harper, McCutchen and Bautista.  Not sure what more he can do to be an "All-Star level player".

what if heyward had a 4 year opt out? because he's probably going to. think like the dodgers, they got the best years from greinke. greinke is still going to be great for a few years at least, but the dodgers got no downside from that contract.

Dodgers got no downside from that contact ... are you frickin kidding me.

Well all things considered they got Greinke in what might be his prime years on a short expensive deal and a draft pick. Not bad.

Tell that to the Dodgers ... they had him sign for another 3 years for around $75M. Arizona as you know just signed him for 6 years for over $200M.

Yea, they're loving that opt out clause and draft pick.

Edited by Troll Daddy

Tell that to the Dodgers ... they had him sign for another 3 years for around $75M. Arizona as you know just signed his for 6 years for over $200M.

Yea, they're loving that opt out clause and draft pick.

That's not really his point. The point is the Dodgers just got some insane value out of Greinke, are off the hook from a big contact for a pitcher in his mid 30's and got a draft pick out of it. They'll find another pitcher and probably still win the division in 2016. 

That's not really his point. The point is the Dodgers just got some insane value out of Greinke, are off the hook from a big contact for a pitcher in his mid 30's and got a draft pick out of it. They'll find another pitcher and probably still win the division in 2016.

That is the point ... what exactly don't you understand?

He's not my first choice, but can you imagine how much better this team will be with a LF who can actually hit?

That's an extra ~30 HRs, 100 RBIs, and 100 Runs to a team that missed the playoffs by 1 game.

Sounds like you think the Dodgers got hosed based on those previous replies, no? I could've misread what you said. 

I think the Dodgers came out great in that deal. 

Paid him 64 million dollars over 3 years. He had 13.7 WAR in those years. If you go by Fangraphs' 7-8 mil/WAR, Greinke was worth about 95.9-109.6 million dollars. They got Greinke's 3 best years on a bargain, are off the hook from a potentially terrible deal and get a pick out of it while still having the option to upgrade the rotation. 

Sounds like you think the Dodgers got hosed based on those previous replies, no? I could've misread what you said.

I think the Dodgers came out great in that deal.

Paid him 64 million dollars over 3 years. He had 13.7 WAR in those years. If you go by Fangraphs' 7-8 mil/WAR, Greinke was worth about 95.9-109.6 million dollars. They got Greinke's 3 best years on a bargain, are off the hook from a potentially terrible deal and get a pick out of it while still having the option to upgrade the rotation.

You seem like a good guy ... so let me say it again. If the Dodgers wanted off the hook from a potentially terrible deal ... then they could of easily traded him for a big haul to a lot of willing teams. A bigger haul than Atlanta got for Simmons. Edited by Troll Daddy

You seem like a good guy ... so let me say it again. If the Dodgers wanted off the hook from a potentially terrible deal ... then they could of easily traded him for a big haul to a lot of willing teams. A bigger haul than Atlanta got for Simmons.

you're either trolling as per usual or you're thick.

here's why the opt out during peak seasons is great for both parties. greinke was paid a lot the last few years by the dodgers and the dodgers received great value for their money spent, with no down years on the backend of a contract because greinke opted out. greinke opted out and got a nice big contract. the big winner in this deal is of course greinke. the 2nd biggest winner in this deal is the dodgers. the third biggest winner in this deal and the only one of the parties at any risk is the diamondbacks.

if you can't see that, then whatever.

Edited by ukyah